Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24928
View in linear mode

Subject: "Conserving Battery Power on D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 08:40 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Conserving Battery Power on D7000"

Los Angeles, US

Just yesterday I visited the Nikon West Coast Repair Center. They recently moved from the airport to Hollywood. A 20-minute drive. I had my D7000 in to see why the battery was draining.

They are really nice folks. Willing to talk to you. Camera has another 2 months on warranty. It turns out, that nothing is wrong with either battery or camera body.

The only conclusion I can draw is that I am doing something to pulls too much electricity. I rarely use the pop-up flash. So, I just went through the obvious menu settings that limit juice. I dimmed down the LCD and Control Panel. I cut the display time for INFO, Playback and one or two others.

Is there anything I overlooked to conserve battery charge? Oh, and I rarely "chimp" after taking a shot.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000
agitater Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
JosephK Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th Mar 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
                         Reply message Update
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Mar 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 11:11 PM
3980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Some other tips . . .

1. When walking around with the camera on your shoulder, keep you finger off the shutter button. Lots of photographers rest their hand on the camera grip while walking and inadvertently keep activating AF so that the camera never goes to sleep between shots.

2. When stowing your camera in the bag while walking or traveling, turn off the camera. If there's anything stowed on top of the camera while its still on in the bag, in some situations there might be enough pressure on the shutter button to repeatedly activate AF.

You haven't mentioned how much battery life you're actually getting, and you haven't mentioned how many shots per charge you're getting.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 11:24 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

Let me throw some numbers at you —

Yesterday, I returned a 3rd party battery grip (amazon) because in one 7-day period, the battery charge dropped from 100% to 24%. Less than 20 images were shot, and the camera turned off at all other times. And I wasn't walking around with it.

This happened twice to me. Same numbers on the battery charge. I tried it once with the Nikon battery in the body (grip attached). And then once again with the battery in the grip. The EN EL-15 battery.

That's why I took the D7000 body and EN EL battery to Nikon a week ago. To ascertain if the fault was in grip (which spooked me anyway by being a non-Nikon accessory) or the fault of camera electronics and/or the battery itself.

No more Chinese camera accessories for me. Aside from this, I wonder if I am setting menus too often. Could it be "operator error" that causes battery drain.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 11:45 PM
3980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

>No more Chinese camera accessories for me. Aside from this, I
>wonder if I am setting menus too often. Could it be
>"operator error" that causes battery drain.

You can set and reset menus and configurations 50 times a day without even nudging the battery life. The third-party grip is the culprit, no doubt. The reason for the power drain is likely to be found in its main connector, which is a common problem with several so-called off brands.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 11:46 PM
4203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

I have seen multiple reports on multiple web sites that various 3rd party grips drain the batteries noticeably faster than the Nikon grips.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 12:27 AM
#5. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

It is reassuring to hear that about the Chinese knockoffs. Nobody elsewhere has ever mentioned that trait.

I am currently cruising Craigslist/eBay and the WTB form on Nikonians to find a used, authentic MB-D11. You would expect many to be around due to people trading up, but I keep missing good buys.

Too many hours invested in this madness already. If by noon nothing turns up, I'm ordering one from BH in New York. To avoid the California sales tax. Prices here are $231 for the grip.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Mar-13 12:18 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

What brand grip did you have? I have a D7000 with a Meike grip that does not get used that much but batteries seem to last forever. I have a Pixel brand on the D800 and Ziekos on the D90. The D800 goes through batteries pretty quickly but that is the same with or without a grip, it just pulls a lot more current than a D7000.

How did Nikon measure the current drain of the camera? If you took the grip off, did the battery last for 1000-1500 shots?
There still maybe a problem with battery or camera unless they did a current measurement. I have not found any camera techs who were also electronics techs, and the job does not entail any electronics work. If a problem occurs in some module or if one is suspected, the entire assembly is replaced, or the next until the problem goes away.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Thu 07-Mar-13 12:55 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>It is reassuring to hear that about the Chinese knockoffs.
>Nobody elsewhere has ever mentioned that trait.
>

I've posted multiple times on this forum about having that issue with the Meike. That's why I started a thread to give the Meike grip away.

I've never had that issue with the Nikon grips, FWIW.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 01:13 PM
#8. "RE: Conserving Battery Power on D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

Stan, the grip was a Pixel Vecta. Bought from Amazon. The repair place was one of only 2 official Nikon offices in the United States. Their printed report stated:
No problem found within standards. Checked battery drain. CKD AF operation. CDK Flash operation. CLN CCD. General Check & Clean.

Since my only problem disclosure to them was battery drain. they went far beyond that on an 8-month old camera, There was a recall in Sept for the EN EL 15 battery, so my battery is really only 5 months old.

Since they are Nikon, I would guess they are knowledgeable about electronics. I'll report back here after I've shot for a month or so. Currently, however, I'm only shooting about 200+ images in that period.

Bob, I joined Nikonians in May or June, so your warning about about off-brand grips might have appeared before then.

I'm ordering a new Nikon MB-D11 this morning. I want the warranty and I don't want drama. Digital drama or any other kind.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 07:52 PM
#9. "Update"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Angeles, US

While waiting for my MB-D11 grip to arrive, I did some research on this issue.

Thom Hogan's eBook on the D7000 (800 pages long) had all the details. It turns out that even when the camera is turned off, some viewfinder options remain on and cause a current draw. These viewfinder items are Warnings, Gridlines. Another big power hog pertains to LCD and Control Panel screen duration during Replay, Menus, Info and Metering.

What others have said here about resting your finger on the shutter button unnecessarily is also important.

Here is what Thom Hogan says to reset in order to prolong battery charge:

Menu C4, D2 (off) D4 (off). Set C4 as short as you can stand. I was surprised how quick a readout satisfies my "geek urge". 4 sec is enough for me. Playback (displaying an image on the LCD after the shot is taken) really sucks up the power. Resist the temptation! Don't be a "chimper". Be a grown up. Save power.

I'm on day 4 with the camera off. Charge still registers 100% As Gene Wilder exclaimed in the Frankenstein movie ....... It's alive. ALIVE!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24928 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.