Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24916
View in linear mode

Subject: "Replacement for my old D300" Previous topic | Next topic
rlubash Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Wed 06-Mar-13 02:15 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Replacement for my old D300"

Virginia Beach, US

I am going to Tanzania in late September and want a lighter faster camera to take. When I got my 18-300 lens B & H suggested I get the D7100 body as it is faster and would be a good move as I still wanted a DX camera not a full frame. What do you think?

Ralph Lubash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Replacement for my old D300
BrianNK
06th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
06th Mar 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
               Reply message Well, not quite David...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
               Reply message RE: Well, not quite David...
dagoldst Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
07th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
briantilley Moderator
07th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
Newondigital
07th Mar 2013

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 03:14 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I am going to Tanzania in late September and want a lighter
>faster camera to take. When I got my 18-300 lens B & H
>suggested I get the D7100 body as it is faster and would be a
>good move as I still wanted a DX camera not a full frame. What
>do you think?

I'm not sure what they meant by faster.. but the D7100 is a great option. With its 1.3x crop mode your 18-300 becomes a ~600mm f/5.6 lens. While it won't be the best in sharpness... it will be lighter and more compact!

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 07:47 PM
1823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 1

Little Rock, US

>With its 1.3x crop mode your 18-300 becomes a ~600mm f/5.6 lens.

I would think that is not really the case, to me, crop factor is only applicable to the entire sensor - for instance the 1.5 crop factor of an APS sensor as compared to full frame. For instance - 70-300mm vr on my D600 gives me a crop factor of 1 which is 300mm for 24.5 mpixels. Put it on the the D7100, I get the same mpixels at the 450mm equivalent FOV - it makes sense that I now get equivalent megapixels per sensor size and know I will get as detailed an image.

If we start applying crop factor to actual image crops, whether performed in-camera or post processing, it seems to me that muddies the concept. For instance, I could say I get a crop factor on my D600 of 1.5 if I set it to DX mode and shoot my FX lenses. But in fact, I get a 10.5 mpixel image - I could do better with a D90 or more so with a D7000.

Just a perspective,

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 06-Mar-13 08:01 PM
28332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 06-Mar-13 08:02 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>I would think that is not really the case

It was pretty much correct - in a way

Using a 300mm lens on a D7100 in its 1.3x crop mode gives you a 15MP (approx) image with the same field of view that you would get from a 600mm lens on FX.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Wed 06-Mar-13 08:13 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

Indeed, but I think he was saying that he has the option in post processing anyway, so building it into the camera doesn't give him any additional capability. What it does do is shrink the file size and save time, CPU cycles, and storage space if he knows he is going to crop anyway.

No need to eat the whole donut if you only want the donut hole - burp....

Visit my gallery.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 11:52 AM
1823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 3

Little Rock, US

Brian,

I get that about the 1.3 crop factor, but to me, it is just marketing speak to sell what is going to be a really good camera anyway.

Just my opinion, but we can do this calculation for any camera, but it is just a calculation that leads to less image resolution than the native sensor size of the given format. So more math - using my D70s at a 1.5 crop factor yields a 2.66MP image at 600mm FX equivalent.

The only real crop factor advantage here is that one gets the same 24.5 mpixel at 1.5 times the FOV with a D7100 over either a D3x or D600. And that is a very real advantage in certain situations.

Again, just my perspective,

David

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 12:48 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Well, not quite David..."
In response to Reply # 6

Grimsby, CA

I intend to try to use the 1.3x crop mode for birds in flight with my 300 f2.8 VR. I most often currently shoot birds in flight with my D300s, 300 f2.8 VR and TC-14E. I will attempt to do this because the 300 f2.8 VR autofocuses faster without a TC. Assuming I use lossless 12 bit, the D7100 frame rate increases from 6 fps to 7 fps in crop mode - but far more importantly the buffer goes from 7 shots to 12 shots. This is still far short of what I'd like - I often fill the buffer of the D300s when shooting birds in flight. Anyway, yes it is the pixel density of the (whole) sensor that suports this capability, but it isn't quite true that it is just marketing.

Jim

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 05:03 PM
#12. "RE: Well, not quite David..."
In response to Reply # 7

Little Rock, US

Good points Jim, I had not thought of it so much about increasing frame throughput and buffer.

David

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Mar-13 01:24 PM
28332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

Well, I see it as a useful option (in some circumstances), and not just a marketing gimmick. As Jim points out, using the crop mode makes a difference to the file size, frame rate and buffer depth.

Rest assured that this conversation has been held many times, going back at least to the D2X with its "High-Speed Crop Mode"

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 01:36 PM
#9. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 8

Little Rock, US

Brian,

>the crop mode makes a difference to the file size, frame rate and buffer depth

The only advantage I see, is the ability to have the smaller size files. The issue for me is that the crop box lines, like my D600 has when I use a DX lens, interferes with my multi-decade use of framing within the entire viewfinder of an SLR-like device.

David

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Mar-13 02:55 PM
#10. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 9

Paignton, GB

>The only advantage I see, is the ability to have the smaller
>size files.

Others may well value the other differences

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 04:59 PM
#11. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 10

Little Rock, US

>Others may well value the other differences

No doubt!

David

Newondigital Registered since 10th Nov 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 06:25 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Replacement for my old D300"
In response to Reply # 0

HN

If you go to Tanzania every year or so and you have the possibility to return easily, I might take the D7100 BUT, as with most of new cameras, it might have some "particularities" (like in the d600) that may ruin you chance for a beautiful and unforgettable trip. If you would have to sell the D300 in order to buy a new camera, I believe that the D7000 will give you all you need and all you want in a very trusted body capable of excellent photography. The D7000 is a non issue camera !!!

Otherwise, I would take the D7000 as your everyday use camera and would take the D300 as a solid back up that you already know very well how to use (so the reports say. I don't have it and have never used it.) All the crop arguments are fine and very important IF, and only IF, the d7100 does not fluke your way and sour your trip to Tanzania.

Have a nice and unforgettable trip to such and exotic country.

Carlos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24916 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.