Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24877
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Remote Control Not Working" Previous topic | Next topic
Jodie Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 04-Mar-13 02:02 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Remote Control Not Working"

Perkiomenville, US

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've followed Digital Darrell's instructions on pages 124 and 125 of his wonderful Mastering book by setting the menu to "quick release remote" and the self-timer mode on the release mode dial. The camera will trip manually in the self timer mode. I just can't seem to take a picture with the remote. I've changed the battery in the remote but that didn't help.
Think I just got a bad remote or is there something I'm not doing correctly?
Thanks!

Jodie

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 02:42 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Remote Control Not Working"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

If you wish to use the ML-L3 remote release you must set the release mode on the camera's release-mode dial as either remote (shown as an icon of the ML-L3 on the dial) or "Mup". The self-timer release mode is only actuated by using the camera's shutter-release button.

These options are explained on ppgs. 80-84 of your Nikon D7000 User's Manual.

Jim

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 03:58 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Remote Control Not Working"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

OK... I've just run through the settings using my ML-L3 remote release and changing the settings on the camera's release mode dial.

The ML-L3 remote release only functions with the camera's release mode dial set to the remote release option (ML-L3 icon). There are three options that are available to control how the ML-L3 functions with this setting. These are:

1. 2 second Delayed Remote
2. Quick Response remote
3. Remote Mirror up (press the remote release button once to raise the mirror, and press it a second time to take the picture.)

You can select which setting you prefer using the camera's "Shooting Menu" option "Remote control mode". To make access to this option more convenient on my Nikon D7000, I've added this option to the "My Menu". I also have set the Fn (function) button on my camera to access the top item on "My Menu".

Jim

Jodie Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 04-Mar-13 05:54 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Remote Control Not Working"
In response to Reply # 2

Perkiomenville, US

Hi Jim,

Thanks you so much. I never would have figured this out.

How do we get this info to Darrell so that he can correct the next version of his book ...maybe for the 7100?

Jodie

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 06:19 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 Remote Control Not Working"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson, US

Hi Jodie,

I just read Darrell Young's guide book in the section pertaining to the use of the ML-L3 remote control. He states the use exactly on ppg. 124-125 as I've indicated in my second response to your question.

It's a little confusing, and it helps to try out the settings on your camera. I ran into the situation when I was trying to photograph a group of people, including myself, using the remote control after a holiday lunch.

I kept trying to use the ML-L3 with the camera's Release mode dial set at Self Timer. Try as I might, the ML-L3 would not release the shutter.

The Nikon D7000 is a complex camera, but a very nice camera indeed!

Good luck and good pictures!
Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24877 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.