Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24839
View in linear mode

Subject: "New camera check list?" Previous topic | Next topic
arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sat 02-Mar-13 10:03 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New camera check list?"

Anacortes, US

Hi. I'm replacing my D200 with the D7100 and have preordered the camera.We're going on vacation in early May and I'm a little apprehensive about getting an untried camera.

Given the high defect rate of the D800 and the D600 issues I wondered if anyone can recommend a check list, short of going through every possible camera function and variation.

One of the appealing features of the D7100 is it's light weight but I suppose I'll be prudent and cart the D200 along, just be be safe.

Thanks for your help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New camera check list?
luckyphoto Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
arnnad Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
martinjp
04th Mar 2013
arnnad Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
04th Mar 2013
arnnad Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
04th Mar 2013
martinjp
05th Mar 2013
arnnad Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
martinjp
10th Mar 2013
arnnad Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
billD80 Silver Member
11th Mar 2013

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 03-Mar-13 04:51 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Think about the features and how you currently use the D200 now. Then put together a checklist of those features to test on the D7100. Check the basics of capturing RAW and JPEG. Make sure you can successfully download to your computer and manipulate in post processing. That should considerably shorten the amount of required testing.

Regarding the "high defect rate" please remember that many more people post when they have an issue than those who have success. Some of those issues are also user error and not the camera.

Use the D7100 every day until you leave. Practice will breed familiarity and confidence. You may even elect to leave the D200 at home.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sun 03-Mar-13 06:35 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 1

Anacortes, US

Larry, thanks for your response. I appreciate the fact that people who find their new cameras defect free are less likely to post than others. Indeed, my D200 has never given me a bit of trouble and I hope for similar luck for the D7100.

However, my anxiety about this has some basis beyond my nervous temperment. I'm retired and enjoy spending timereading DPReview and Thom Hogan's informative blog. I took the liberty of asking him his opinions on the subject and he was kind enough to quickly reply. A defect rate of 20-40% in the D800 and late occurring issues in the D600 is not confidence building.

These issues seem more related to slipshod assembly than true design failure and I'm hopeful Nikon addresses the problem.

Thanks again

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 10:53 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 03-Mar-13 10:57 PM by billD80

US

A defect rate
>of 20-40% in the D800 and late occurring issues in the D600 is
>not confidence building.

Stating a 20-40% range is so imprecise I can't imagine anyone actually saying that and expecting to be taken seriously.

That has to be a wild guess relative to completely unspecified problems.

A 20% defect rate would have to increase 100% to reach a 40% defect rate. Such numbers, if accurate would be completely and directly quantifiable.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Mon 04-Mar-13 02:24 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I got tired of waiting for the D7100 a month ago with twin grandsons due the end of this month and I needed to take a landscape picture for work, so I bought a D7000 and was happy about the price. As it happened the camera had the back focus problem that the D7000 had when it came out almost two and a half years ago. Checking other forums I found three others who recently had the same experience. I returned the camera and decided to wait for the D7100.

A post I read about the D600 problems, maybe from borrowlenses.com, suggested shooting 600 pictures while the camera was in the return period and shooting a picture of a plain wall to see if the dust / oil problems appeared.

I preordered a D7100 and am excited by the specs, a great upgrade from my D90. I'll definitely be shooting a several hundred pictures the first week, but I would anyways with a new toy to play with. I'm not really concerned about getting a bad copy as I'll just return it for another.

Jim

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 04-Mar-13 05:31 AM
#5. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 4

Anacortes, US

Jim, thanks for your response. I guess there's no standard protocol for checking out a new camera. Certainly, confirming focus is important. This was a problem in the D800. I hope I get the camera before April so I have time for both learning how to use it and looking for glitches. I know we'll be in a bit of a panic before our trip and really want to square away any camera issues before that.
Congratulations on the grand sons. You'll have years of following tthem around with your camera.

Regards,
Arnold

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 01:48 PM
3982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Checklist

1. Open box, extract camera manual, read manual.

2. Read manual again, with camera at your side so you can fiddle with it while reading the manual.

3. Read the manual.

4. Configure the camera.

5. Hit on your friends, spouse, kids, relatives, etc., to pose for both handheld and tripod portrait shots in natural light. Whatever your favorite shutter speed used to be when using the D200, double it when using the D7100. Use an 85mm or longer focal length, but pick one lens and use it for every portrait shot so you can get a feel for how well it does on the D7100.

6. Review all the photos on a calibrated monitor. Adjust your shooting technique as required, based on the conclusions of your review.

7. Find a local wildlife or conservation area, and go for a couple of walks with specific subjects in mind. Pick one zoom lens and use it exclusively for each walk so can get a feel for how well it does on the D7100.

8. Review all the photos on a calibrated monitor. Adjust your shooting technique as required, based on the conclusions of your review.

9. Refer to the manual for configuration changes as needed based on both reviews of your photos.

10. Shoot, shoot, shoot, review, review, review, adjust, adjust, adjust.

11. IMO, forget about shots of brick walls and clear sky shots at f/22 and high ISO shots with the lens cap on and shots at 1/15s of your socks lying on the floor under the dim, yellow light of a 25W table lamp. I can find a performance or photo problem with every camera ever made if I push them hard enough, but those aren't real photos - they're merely ways to show that the camera designers didn't develop a camera to be used in absurdly difficult or pointless conditions. That is not news.

12. If you're not fully confident with the D7100 during the week prior to your departure date, don't travel with it. Having to fiddle with somewhat unfamiliar control positions and menu items is not an ideal situation when you're on vacation. Take the D200 instead. The best camera to have is the one you know best, or the new one with which you've made yourself confident enough.

13. Did I mention that it's strongly advisable to read the manual several times?

14. Follow this simple process and four things will happen. First, you'll end up with some great portrait, landscape and wildlife shots. Second, you'll quickly become familiar and comfortable with the camera. Third, you'll develop a good idea of the range of conditions and exposures in which the camera performs best. Fourth, you'll quickly discover any problems.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 04-Mar-13 04:10 PM
#7. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 6

Anacortes, US

What was that about the manual? If the camera can shoot 7fps does it mean I should read the manual 7x's

Thanks for your great advice.

Regards,

Arnold

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 05:33 PM
3982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

>If the camera can shoot 7fps
>does it mean I should read the manual 7x's

Yes!

>Thanks for your great advice.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Tue 05-Mar-13 01:03 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I wish Nikon would post the manual to their support site so I could start reading it. I'm getting bored waiting.

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Tue 05-Mar-13 03:52 AM
#10. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 9

Anacortes, US

Me too. I've started looking at the D7000 manual, just to get some idea of what to expect. Since it's an upgrade of that camera I'd expect many factors to be unchanged. For example, I'd expect menu listings to correspond.
Anybody have an opinion on how soon Nikon releases a manual before the camera release?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 03:05 AM
3150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 10-Mar-13 03:13 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Coming from a D200, the first thing I would do is double the shutter speed.
The second thing is start working on your Hand Holding technique.
This camera will be no where as forgiving as one with 10 MP.
Higher resolution will show user error Mo Beta.
You may have to start out with a TriPod, then MonoPod, before hand held shooting.
The advanced AutoFocus and metering system will help and so will the faster processor.
Read the manual with the D7100 in hand, then practice.
The keeper rate on my D800 is now the best of any camera I have owned.
The D7100 should be just about as capable as a DX camera can be.

As for the manual, keep doing a Google search.
Europe usually releases a no-print version before the camera is for sale in the US.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 10-Mar-13 05:08 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

>This camera will be no where as forgiving as one with 10 MP.
>Higher resolution will show user error Mo Beta.

All great advise. Just remember that you may not notice ANY difference in results until you view images at 100% on your computer.

I suspect 24mp images viewed that way might well look quite blurred, but if printed 12x18, or 10x15, might look perfectly good.

Hypothetically, the sharpest image ever made by a human, hand-held, on a 200mp camera, might well look truly awful at 100%.

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 10:26 PM
#13. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>>This camera will be no where as forgiving as one with 10
>MP.
>>Higher resolution will show user error Mo Beta.
>
>
>All great advise. Just remember that you may not notice ANY
>difference in results until you view images at 100% on your
>computer.
>
>I suspect 24mp images viewed that way might well look quite
>blurred, but if printed 12x18, or 10x15, might look perfectly
>good.
>
>Hypothetically, the sharpest image ever made by a human,
>hand-held, on a 200mp camera, might well look truly awful at
>100%.

Hi Bill,

I would expect a higher resolution image at 100% zoom will be zoomed in tighter but containing much finer detail than a lower resolution image. A higher resolution image will look blurry as it opens but if you wait for it to fully open it will be crystal clear.

I see no reason that someone coming from a D200 or other DSLR will have any issues with a higher resolution DSLR. Someone who doesn't know the basics of a DSLR and its focus modes, etc. might.

I just don't want anyone to be scared of high resolution cameras. The D800 images I've seen friends post are truly amazing in the amount of detail they contain.

Jim

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 11:09 PM
#14. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 13

Anacortes, US

Hi. Rest assured I'm not spooked by the idea of a high resolution camera, although it's a race between higher resolution and my cataracts. I'm looking forward to the benefits of the 16-85 lens and D7100 vs. the D200 and 18-200. I also have the 80-400 which should more exciting with cropping possibilities.

However, I must confess the purchase was not only motivated by the search for better IQ and high iso benefits but a desire to reduce weight, both mine and the camera gear.

If I were younger I suspect I would have gratified my medium/large format envy and gone for the D800 but camera weight and big glass won't work now. Obviously, everything in life is a compromise but, at least on paper, the D7100 looks like a good bet.

Regards,
Arnold

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Mar-13 01:32 PM
#15. "RE: New camera check list?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>Hi Bill,
>
>I would expect a higher resolution image at 100% zoom will be
>zoomed in tighter but containing much finer detail than a
>lower resolution image. A higher resolution image will look
>blurry as it opens but if you wait for it to fully open it
>will be crystal clear.

The resolution capability of 24mp's is such that when opened on a monitor at 100%, then limitations on lens capability or photographer technique could be revealed that were not noticeable on a 10mp image also viewed at 100%. The increased detail cuts and reveals many ways, some wonderful, and others, perhaps less pleasant.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24839 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.