Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24821
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ideal SD card for 7100?" Previous topic | Next topic
dkkruse Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2003Sat 02-Mar-13 01:55 AM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ideal SD card for 7100?"

Fairfax, US

After waiting forever and ever for the D400 to replace my D200, I have gone ahead an pre-ordered the D7100.

My question is what data rate do you think it NEEDS? The absolute fastest cards out there would be a waste of money if the camera itself can't utilize all of the speed.

What speed cards will the rest of you be ordering? Anyone have any idea what the camera's native throughput will be? What is the throughput of the D7000?

Thanks!

-Dave

www.davidkrusephoto.com

Fairfax, VA

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?
Pugzilla Gold Member
02nd Mar 2013
Reply message I need the Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: I need the Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec...
Remooc
02nd Mar 2013
          Reply message Wrong card...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
02nd Mar 2013
RSchussel Silver Member
02nd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
02nd Mar 2013
mborn1 Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
Reply message Umm...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
04th Mar 2013

Pugzilla Gold Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2008Sat 02-Mar-13 02:30 AM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boca Raton, US

Hi,

I will be using the SanDisk 16Gb SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 (max read/write = 45 MB/sec) in my coming 7100.
I think that's as good a choice as any; you could go to 32 Gb at 45MB/sec, but the 8 Gb cards only reach 30 MB/sec. You (or I) don't need the Extreme Pro at 95 MB/sec.

Walter

Never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and have his shoes!

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 02-Mar-13 03:21 AM
4395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "I need the Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 02-Mar-13 03:24 AM by Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA

Especially considering the lousy buffer spec on this camera. What the heck, the 16 GB cards were only $60. And according to Imaging Resource, yes the camera has the higher clock speed required to use these cards to their maximum.

Jim

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Sat 02-Mar-13 11:22 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I need the Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec..."
In response to Reply # 2

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

>Especially considering the lousy buffer spec on this camera.
>What the heck, the 16 GB cards were only $60.

I don't know where you buy your cards from but Amazon.com lists the 32GB at only 33 Dollars

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 02-Mar-13 11:06 PM
4395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Wrong card..."
In response to Reply # 4

Grimsby, CA

That one is only 45MB/s. The one I'm talking about is $40.70 on Amazon. And since some of you seem to have missed the message - the D7100 supports higher write speeds than the D7000.

Jim

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 02-Mar-13 07:44 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

>What is the throughput of the D7000?

Here's some test data:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_wb_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-12454

But I'm not sure how relevant that will be. The D7000 used the Expeed 2 processor while the D7100 has upgraded to the Expeed 3 and may be able to make better use of the faster SD cards.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Sat 02-Mar-13 07:23 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 3

Vallejo, US

Om my D800 with the EXPEED 3 processor it writes about 28meg a second using a ScanDisk Extreme Pro 95.

Like others have said a card with 45meg speed should be more than adequate. What I think is more critical is not to go cheap. I have always used ScanDisk cards and find them to be highly reliable. Most of the complaints you hear are from people saving a few dollars by buying off of Ebay where the seller and his products are unknown.

Bob

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 02-Mar-13 09:20 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

....... and don't forget that Sandisk cards are the MOST FREQUENTLY COUNTERFEIT. There have been many horror stories posted on our forums. Caveat emptor!

I buy 95MB/Sec cards - but ONLY from really reputable dealers such as B&H. I wouldn't take the risk of buying from Amazon or (especially) eBay.!

Whether-or-not the camera bodies can write at the fastest rate of which the card is capable, the high read speeds are a joy when copying images to your PC.

Pete

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Mon 04-Mar-13 11:01 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

Here is a link to a SD card comparison and the winning cards are inexpensive on Amazon.com
http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=2617

You need to look carefully at the specs on amazon because there are a number of different cards available here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LFVKES/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 01:55 PM
#10. "Umm..."
In response to Reply # 8

Grimsby, CA

The SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s wasn't tested. It is the fastest SD card.

Jim

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Mon 04-Mar-13 12:12 PM
600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Ideal SD card for 7100?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Expeed 3 supports the full speed of UHS-I and can write to it at full speed from the buffer using DMA.

Ergo, it'll go as fast as the card can go and is faster than any current card.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24821 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.