Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2476
View in linear mode

Subject: "Modifying an L-plate?" Previous topic | Next topic
bstevent Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2004Sat 27-Nov-10 09:45 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Modifying an L-plate?"

Prince George, CA

I've just received a D7000. I have a Kirk BL-D200 L-plate left over from a D200 that I no longer own. The rear lip of the plate seems to fit the D-7000 snugly but the front lip doesn't -- the plate is a bit narrow. Looks to me like a little work with a dremel tool would result in a reasonable fit. Has anyone tried this? Result?

Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 03:27 AM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Modifying an L-plate?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

I tried my d200 L as well. The problem is that the lip keeps it oriented correctly. If you ground it flat the bracket could easily become misaligned. Also, the compartment door would be unuseable with the L in place. $120 well spent, The RRS L is a rather clever two piece design. It is an L or just a plate.

David

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 29-Nov-10 11:20 AM
8517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Modifying an L-plate?"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

I got the RRS L-bracket as well. The new 2 piece design is a little cheaper than one piece designs and works fine. It is money well spent.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

bstevent Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2004Tue 30-Nov-10 04:48 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Modifying an L-plate?"
In response to Reply # 1

Prince George, CA

Thanks for the comments. I would have to remove all of the front lip. That would leave the rear lip, that appears as if it will fit snugly, and the bolt to hold the camera. I wouldn't know how stable this would be until I tried it. I'll opt for the RRS two piece L-plate. Maybe I can find another use for the D200 plate or add it to my anodized aluminum collection

Bob

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 30-Nov-10 02:35 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Modifying an L-plate?"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

I modified two RRS l-plates from a D-300 and D-90. I filed the read lip to be flat with the plate. Screwing the plate on snugly has not caused me any problems.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2476 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.