Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24752
View in linear mode

Subject: "Deleting pictures" Previous topic | Next topic
jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 01:52 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Deleting pictures"

CA

Didn't know this. I have the camera set up for raw in slot 1 and jpg in slot 2. When I delete a pic, the slot 1 is deleted. Slot 2 still has the pic. Thought that was neat.
Jim
D7K

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Deleting pictures
Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
jagabom Silver Member
28th Feb 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
WD4MLA Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
01st Mar 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
01st Mar 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 05:07 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

People usually view images in the Playback mode. The photos from both SD cards show up the LCD screen. By alternately pressing the + or - buttons you enlarge a single image or shrink it. Shrink it a few times and you see a calendar with days of the month. All the images taken on a given day are contained in one of those days.

Select a day and then hit the TRASH button next to > (playback) and you delete all images taken that day, regardless of which card they were on.

If you scroll singly through the little icons taken on a given day, you can trash them selectively. The camera navigates through card 1 first. When that is empty, the next images are on card 2.

So, you are saved from making mistakes in discarding important files. Trash a whole day when you are sure of what you're doing and in a hurry. Trash the images singly when you have leisure time. Both methods are needed at different times.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Thu 28-Feb-13 05:01 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 1

Maidenhead, GB

You can switch quickly between card 1 and card 2 for playback on the camera if you need to. In playback mode, if you press the BKT button and the up arrow on the multi selector, you get the option of changing playback slot and folder. It's also a very quick way of navigating around if you use multiple folders.

jagabom Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2012Thu 28-Feb-13 11:17 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Thanks for the replies all.
Jim
D7K

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Fri 01-Mar-13 02:34 PM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

New Tampa, US

>Didn't know this. I have the camera set up for raw in slot 1
>and jpg in slot 2. When I delete a pic, the slot 1 is
>deleted. Slot 2 still has the pic. Thought that was neat.
>Jim
>D7K

The both images supposed to get deleted.

Best regards,
Vlad

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 01-Mar-13 08:07 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 01-Mar-13 08:08 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

Deletion is card specific. If you're reviewing card 1 and you delete an image, it only deletes that specific image on card 1. If you want to delete the corresponding image on card 2, you need to review card 2 and delete the image from there.

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Fri 01-Mar-13 04:08 PM
894 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 0

Sylva, US

I have read in several places that it is better not to delete photos individually the camera, but rather format the card AFTER you have downloaded the photos. Something about corrupting the card?? Maybe someone that better understands these things can jump in.

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 01-Mar-13 08:22 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

>I have read in several places that it is better not to delete
>photos individually the camera, but rather format the card
>AFTER you have downloaded the photos. Something about
>corrupting the card?? Maybe someone that better understands
>these things can jump in.

That's basically nonsense. The "file system" used on the cards is similar to one used on disk drives. In fact, some early CF cards were tiny disk drives. There was some value back then to not fragmenting the disk storage by deleting individual files. It had nothing to do with corruption but with performance. But those issues don't apply to solid-state cards.

The only reason I know of not to delete images from a card is that hastily doing so in the field may lead to deleting images you didn't mean to delete. That may be a good enough reason by itself, but on a few occasions when I unexpectedly found myself running out of storage, I've deleted images with no ill effect.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Fri 01-Mar-13 08:51 PM
#8. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 01-Mar-13 09:49 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

Deleted message.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 01-Mar-13 09:25 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Deleting pictures"
In response to Reply # 8

Wethersfield, US

First, read cycles have no effect on the life of the card.

Second, while it is true that cards have a limited number of erase/write cycles per block, the number for modern NAND flash is in the range of 1,000,000. Wear leveling ensures that writes are distributed throughout the card. You would have to use a single card through the life of about 4 pro DSLRs' shutter lifetimes before approaching the limit, if then. So that's not a realistic consideration. (The manufacturers actually specify lifetime as mean time between failures, MTBF. I believe SanDisk specifies 1+ million hours MTBF for their consumer-grade products.)

Finally, fragmentation can affect performance due to the block nature of writes, but it is significant only when there are many small files. Because the files we store on a card in a modern DSLR exceed the size of the write blocks by many times, the files contain only a neglibible percentage of partially filled blocks.

As for fragmentation "increasing the risk of errors," please explain the mechanism by which that increased risk occurs, remembering that these are solid state devices.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24752 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.