Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24723
View in linear mode

Subject: "Premature D7100 questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 27-Feb-13 12:00 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Premature D7100 questions"

Netanya, IL

I have just ordered a D7100, which is a polite way of saying that I have given in to a grandson who really, really wants to get his hands on my D7000 on a more permanent basis.

Two questions:
1) Will the D7100 be able to handle the new SQD memory cards? Apparently buffer clearing speed is phenomenal and makes high fps possible for longer bursts.

2) Are the D7000 and the D7100 sufficiently compatible for the same user settings to work for both? And, if so, is there some way of copying the whole set from one body to another?

I realize it might be necessary to wait a few weeks for definitive answers, hence my choice of subject line, but would appreciate any thoughts from those more in the know about these things than myself.

Nathan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 27-Feb-13 02:00 PM
28768 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Premature D7100 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

1) I don't know what SQD is. If you meant XQD, then the answer is no - the D7100 supports only SD (that includes SDHC and SDXC) memory cards.

2) We won't know that answer until the D7100 is in users' hands. I would be surprised if the exact same settings prove to be optimum for both cameras.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 28-Feb-13 06:32 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Premature D7100 questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Netanya, IL

Not again! I used to be a natural proof-reader but typos seem to be cropping up all over the place nowadays. Must be that leprechaun we brought back with us from Ireland a couple of years ago!

Yes, I did indeed mean XQD.

With respect to the settings, is there, nevertheless, some way to save one's settings "off camera"? I would imagine that there is enough in common between the 7000 and the 7100 for the former's settings to be a good starting point for the latter. Or am I totally misunderstanding how these things work?

Nathan

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 28-Feb-13 10:32 AM
6166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Premature D7100 questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

You can save your D7000 settings off-camera via the Setup menu's "Save/load settings" function. The question is whether the D7100 would be able to load the settings saved from a D7000. I think it highly unlikely. I'm not aware of any other case where different models of camera can share saved settings. In fact, if you stick a card in two different-model cameras to save settings, then load settings from the card, each model of camera will see only its own saved settings.

My suggestion is to use the settings spreadsheet to record the settings of your D7000. Then when you get your D7100 you can set it up using the values you noted. Or, when you get your D7100, just set the cameras side by side and go through the menus to set the values. The Custom menu's settings have helpful asterisks to indicate which settings have been changed from the default value, which should make things a little easier. It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes and will have the helpful side effect of alerting you to any differences between the two menu systems.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Thu 28-Feb-13 08:40 PM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Premature D7100 questions"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 28-Feb-13 08:40 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Jon,
I completely agree with you that it is EXTREMELY unlikely the D7000 and D7100 will be able to share configuration files. I have both D800 and the D800E - which are MUCH closer relatives than the 7K series members - and they won't even share their files.

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24723 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.