Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24651
View in linear mode

Subject: "Picture,s half cutoff" Previous topic | Next topic
Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 10:01 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Picture,s half cutoff"

Lakewood, US

I taken pictures and downloaded them when I pulled them up 3/4 the pictures are cut off on each frame and it just showing solid gray on the cutoff part I changed cards, reformatted and changed size. What is recommended I do I am new and sure it's a user air and not the camera?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Picture,s half cutoff
blw Moderator
25th Feb 2013
dm1dave Administrator
25th Feb 2013
Artilleryman33
26th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
26th Feb 2013
kippford Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
jrp Administrator
26th Feb 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
Artilleryman33
27th Feb 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 10:55 PM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Are these by any chance taken with flash? If so, please post a sample. (Actually, even if it's not with flash, please post a sample.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 11:19 PM
11306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Are these RAW (NEF) file or are they JEPG?

If they are RAW what program are you using to view them?

How are you transferring the images to your computer?

When you take a picture does it show the full image on the cameras LCD?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 03:41 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 2

Lakewood, US

They are JPEG. I transfer with IPhoto on my MAC the image shows up full on my computer. I am trying to research on books and put the camera away till I figure it out. I will post sample but it won't post but took some shots after in the lowest MP and it came out but not as good detail

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 26-Feb-13 08:36 AM
28756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

Sorry, but this is the sort of thing that is pretty much impossible to diagnose without seeing an example (with EXIF data intact). You can upload an image to your Nikonians Gallery and post a link to it here.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 08:11 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 4

falkirk, GB

is the grey area allways in the same place?
is it horizontal?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 26-Feb-13 09:16 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sounds like a corrupted card

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 26-Feb-13 10:22 PM
34322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Feb-13 10:25 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

It is most likely data corruption, either when writing to the card, or when transferring to the computer or when moving them to the imaging software.

In any event, the card is the primary suspect. That is the main reason behind not recommending bargain cards, but only those officially approved by the manufacturer in the manual.

Another thing to consider is what format to use, because somehow jpegs seem to be much more prone to corruption that NEFs.
If you set your camera to shoot NEF + Fine jpeg, you do create sort of a great backup in the same card, with all of the information of the image, including the one discarded when creating the jpeg.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 27-Feb-13 01:19 AM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>........ That is the
>main reason behind not recommending bargain cards, but only
>those officially approved by the manufacturer in the manual.
>
>...........

Another thing to watch out for is counterfeit cards. They LOOK real, but they're junk inside.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Wed 27-Feb-13 01:25 AM
#9. "RE: Picture,s half cutoff"
In response to Reply # 8

Lakewood, US

I think you were right I bought a new card it was triple the price snapped 100 sample shots and no problem thanks for the adice

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24651 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.