Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear sync flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 01:22 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rear sync flash"

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hello, I am trying to use the rear sync flash on the D7000. I am trying to set it up in M mode on bulb setting or say a 20 second exposure. I have read the manual on page 145 and the flash is set to rear as shown in the LCD display. When I press the shutter the camera fires a small flash at the start of the exposure and a stronger flash at the end of the exposure. I don't want the initial flash firing only the rear curtain at the end of the exposure. Am I missing out on another setting somewhere?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 01:36 PM
6099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rear sync flash"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Feb-13 01:41 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

When using TTL mode, the flash has to fire a metering flash to determine the proper amount of flash power to use. One way to eliminate that is to use a non-TTL flash mode. If you are using pop-up flash, that means going to manual flash (CSM e3). If you are using an external flash, you may have other options, such as having the flash itself adjust exposure.

You can also use FV Lock. That performs the TTL metering flash at the time you push the FV Lock button (whichever control you have configured to be FV Lock). Then you can fire the shutter at any time and get only the illumination flash -- no metering flash. Of course, if you then move the camera to a different distance from the subject the flash exposure will need to be reset via FV Lock.

Edit: I should probably add that the TTL metering flash is performed before the shutter is open -- even before the mirror is raised. So if your concern is that the preliminary flash will expose the image -- it won't. But there are other reasons why you might not want that preflash to happen.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 01:50 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rear sync flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks for the quick response jbloom. All sorted and set up correctly. 2 years ownership and 65,000 shutter actuations and still learning.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24613 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.