Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24515
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery Age" Previous topic | Next topic
four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 02:59 AM
1392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery Age"
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:09 AM by four eighty sparky

US

When I got my D7000 two years ago, I noticed that the battery age indicator in the monitor had a scale of 1-4. I assumed this meant years. However, after two years of solid use, they're both (I purchased a second battery with the camera) still at 0.

Anyone have solid intel on the meaning of the numbers? (Other than what's on page 242 of the manual)

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery Age
MEMcD Moderator
24th Feb 2013
BWPaterson Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
atsf616 Silver Member
09th Sep 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
09th Sep 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 05:16 AM
25009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery Age"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ken,

I have several EN-EL3e batteries that are over 6 years old that are still at 0. I have two EN-EL4's that are about 7 years old that are at 3 on the life scale and a few EN-EL4a's at 1 and 2 on the life scale. Obviously I use the EN-EL4(a)'s much more than the EN-EL3e's.
When the battery gets to 4 it is time to start considering getting a replacement.
Good Luck and Enjoy your nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BWPaterson Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009Wed 27-Feb-13 04:43 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery Age"
In response to Reply # 0

Lansdale, US

If Nikon counters work as apple counts battery cycles then this would be normal. Apple counts and what wears on a battery are complete charges from a completely discharged battery. My guess is that you probably do not run out of battery before charging. I know that I will make sure I charge the battery before the shoot though it might have 80% charge. I would not worry about this as my expierence is a new camera will come along with a new battery. I must admit though my original spare battery that I bought for D100 went to D200, to D700 and my nephew is still using the battery after all of these years.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 27-Feb-13 05:43 PM
602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery Age"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Each increment indicates about 10% of battery capacity gone, permanently. There is a SBS chip on each pack that carefully measures everything going in or out of the battery, charging, discharging, everything, and tracks the capacity (the body doesn't have a method of determining capacity on the pack, the pack tells the body). It really just means you've taken good care of your batteries.

atsf616 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2010Mon 09-Sep-13 02:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery Age"
In response to Reply # 3

Kokomo IN, US

Interesting thread. I have a D80 (bought new), D200 (used), and a D7000 bought new in May 2013. I have a pool of 5 EN-EL3e cells that I use interchangeably with the D80/D200, and after dozens of charge cycles all still show "new" condition. But after less than 10 charges of the D7000's EN-EL15, the battery age meter has already clicked over to "1". Disappointing, to say the least.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 09-Sep-13 05:48 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery Age"
In response to Reply # 4

Camberley, GB

I've had my D7000 since last Christmas. It's had fairly light use and I've never fully discharged the battery. A couple of months ago it suddenly jumped from 0 to 3.
I haven't sent it back yet as I've been out of the country but have been in contact with the supplier and they've asked me to return it to them.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24515 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.