Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24514
View in linear mode

Subject: "While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 02:33 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..."

Grimsby, CA

I think the buffer limitation in the D7100 is a serious issue for RAW shooters. But I spend most of my time from April to June shooting warblers and songbirds with fill flash, and neither 6 fps nor the buffer is a limitation for warblers. And who - other than D800 shooters - couldn't use more resolution for warblers? And certainly anyone shooting a D300 like I am can use higher ISOs.

Another thing I want to experiment with is using my 300 f2.8 for birds in flight using the 1.3x crop mode (really micro 4/3rds?). Autofocus should be much faster than using the TC-14E, and if the viewfinder image will be a little small at least it will be bright! And given that DOF will be 2X that of 35mm, I will be able to shoot at f3.5.

And lastly, the obvious point: an extra half an hour at each end of the day. When it's time to pack up my D300 and D300s I can pull out the D7100. It is not the D400, but I look forward to shooting with it.

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100...
TonyJ Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
Reply message I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ...
TonyJ Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
          Reply message Tony...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
          Reply message RE: Tony...
TonyJ Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
          Reply message RE: I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ...
Chris Platt Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
cockers Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
Reply message I expect there are many things I won't like about it Al...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
Toyse_Woody
24th Feb 2013
Pdavid2 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
     Reply message I was tempted by the D800E...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
24th Feb 2013

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 08:38 AM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

It's my understanding that effective focal length has the same depth of field as actual focal length.

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 01:44 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ..."
In response to Reply # 1

Grimsby, CA

If you use a DOF chart for micro 4/3rds and 300mm it should be accurate for this camera in 1.3x crop mode. At the same distance, this combination at say f4 will have the same DOF as 600mm f8 in full frame.

Jim

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 01:57 PM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ..."
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 24-Feb-13 04:16 PM by TonyJ

Boulder, US

...deleted poor understanding of subject matter... I am still learning... lol

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
My Nikonians Gallery

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 02:51 PM
#7. "Tony..."
In response to Reply # 6

Grimsby, CA

You're shooting off in all different directions here! The front element alone determines a lense's light gathering ability - that's why my 300 f2.8 VR with a TC-14E is a 420mm f4. But of course cropping doesn't change the actual focal length: it changes the angle of view. Here's a little light reading for you: http://www.falklumo.com/lumolabs/articles/equivalence/

Jim

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 03:12 PM
#9. "RE: Tony..."
In response to Reply # 7

Boulder, US

Yes Jim, I've been reading about this subject since I answered the first question and I've decided to kill myself... lol. Still reading...

My Nikonians Gallery

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 03:09 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: I'm not sure what you're talking about TonyJ..."
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:30 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

No, there isn't a dof chart for tc's. There isn't a difference between a tc crop factor and a chip crop factor in dof calculations. It is better to think in terms of field of view than focal length.

If you mount a 2x tc and lens on a full frame, you will cut the field of view and the dof in half. If you use the lens without the 2x but cut the sensor size in half you will also cut the field of view and dof in half. This assumes identical dimensions for the final view whether on screen or printed.

For equivalent fields of view (effective focal length) a crop sensor will have a greater dof than a full frame sensor, because you can achieve that equivalent field of view at a greater focus distance or with a shorter focal length lens with a crop sensor.

Conversely, the same focal length lens used on a crop and full size sensor shooting a subject at the same distance will yield a smaller dof on the crop sensor, but the fields of views aren't equivalent.

Visit my gallery.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 10:40 AM
4224 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 24-Feb-13 10:42 AM by cockers

Plover, US

You're right Jim - you point out some great reasons to consider the 7100 for sure.
I think for all wildlife shooters there are some definite advantages built into this new offering.

I 'm going to take a look at the 7100 as well. But I'll wait until I can handle one to see if I can get past the ergonomics of the 7000 body style. . . perhaps the grip is better on the 7100?

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 01:35 PM
#4. "I expect there are many things I won't like about it Al..."
In response to Reply # 2

Grimsby, CA

But warbler season is fast approaching and nowhere do the limitations of the D300 and D300s bother me more than when shooting warblers. I'm not sure that when the D400 does arrive I will like it as well ergonomically as the D300/s. I find the grip and controls on the D800 quite strange as well!

Jim

Toyse_Woody Registered since 20th Feb 2013Sun 24-Feb-13 12:45 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth, US

Higher ISO than on the D300 was the selling point for me to place my pre-order. The rest will be just learning what it will and won't do.

Pdavid2 Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Sun 24-Feb-13 03:44 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: While I wait for the D400, I can use a D7100..."
In response to Reply # 3

Marquette, US

I bought a D300 in 2008. I shoot mostly birds and other wildlife. I've been waiting for a D400 since they started being rumored. I almost bought a D800 in the interim. I just ordered the D7100! More pixels on the bird; higher acceptable ISO; and almost all the other features I've been waiting for (more buffer will occasionally be an issue; dedicated rear focus button easy enough to set up).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdavid2/

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 04:45 PM
#11. "I was tempted by the D800E..."
In response to Reply # 10

Grimsby, CA

But I'd really need to go from my 500 f4 to a 600 f4 VR - I'm a framer, not a cropper. And the problem there for me is more weight than cost. The D7100 should allow me to determine the impact of higher resolution on my images without disrupting the rest of my rig and technique. But I won't be surprised if I discover, for instance, that a 3 series Gitzo is inadequate at 700mm.

Jim

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24514 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.