Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24512
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's" Previous topic | Next topic
A_PeeR Registered since 23rd Feb 2013Sun 24-Feb-13 02:08 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's"

US

The time has come to upgrade from my dated Olympus E510. It has served me well, but my photography pursuits have outgrown it's capabilities. I have been doing my homework on the Nikon line and feel the 7000/7100 best suits my needs at this time. I shoot a lot of macro and photomicroscopy. Not concerned about the cameras ability to shoot macro but any comments or experiences are most welcome.

I do have a some questions concerning the camera's ability to shoot photomicroscopy, in particular utilizing the rear (2nd) shutter flash. Typical setup for a shoot involves attaching adapter (t-mount or m42)-to-bellows or extensions tube-to-RMS adapter-to-microscope objective. Current flash setup is cobbled together with triangular array of SB-24, SB-26 and SB-27 flashes. SB24 and SB-27 fire off the hotshoe via PC-synch cables from WEIN HSHSB and piggy backed Nikon AS-15. SB-26 is set to fire as an optical slave.

Shooting sequence involves a 2 or 3 second shutter time (dimly lit room) followed by flashes firing as shutter closes. A few questions:

Will the D7000 trigger SB flashes (in manual mode) off the hotshot?
Will the the trigger work without a Nikon lens, in this case a train of adapters and objective., no electronic connection to the camera.
Will the D7000 trigger the flashes on the rear curtain of the shutter.

Thank you for your consideration.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sun 24-Feb-13 07:28 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

>Will the D7000 trigger SB flashes (in manual mode) off the
>hotshot?

Yes.

>Will the the trigger work without a Nikon lens, in this case a
>train of adapters and objective., no electronic connection to
>the camera.

Yes.

>Will the D7000 trigger the flashes on the rear curtain of the
>shutter.

Yes, if you set it to do so.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 04:58 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

You really should repost your question in the Speedlight forum, since it mostly deals with flash technology.

You obviously aren't aware of the Nikon technology called CLS — Creative Lighting System.
The camera sends out a variety of info via infra-red signals. Most importantly, it is wireless. And you don't need triggers or sensors.

I would go to a Nikon dealer with your various SB speedlights in hand and ask them if they will work with the CLS system.

Rear curtain synch is set on the camera. Or slow curtain. Or front curtain. And/or TTl, TTl-BL, or TTl-FP. The D7000 also allows you to control remote strobes as to power. And you can assign them to groups to fire collectively. Again, no wires. No triggers needed.

And, if you look at the product info on the Nikon website, they sell a ring adapter which mounts on the lens for Macro work. Typically folks then mount one or several smaller Nikon speedlights to the ring for uniform illumination. The speedlight currently recommended is the SB 200, the smallest in the Nikon lineup. But I believe any speedlight will mount.

You asked for a lot of information, spanning several subject areas. You came to the right place, and I think you'll be amazed at the capabilities of the D7000 camera. But if you wan't to salvage your current gear, it might be easier to go to a Nikon dealer with them. The question is: will this work with CLS? You could do it over the phone with an online dealer such as BH Photo or Adorama or Calumet or Samy's Camera.

If this helps, I bought the D7000 to shoot Macro. I have their excellent 60mm G f2.8 lens for that purpose.

Gary in Santa Monica

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 04:55 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

>You really should repost your question in the Speedlight
>forum, since it mostly deals with flash technology.

He seems to know how his flashes work; he wants to know if they will work with the D7000.

>I would go to a Nikon dealer with your various SB speedlights
>in hand and ask them if they will work with the CLS system.

Or he could ask here on Nikonians, where he would get the answer: No, they won't work with CLS, you'll have to sync them via the hotshoe (which is what the OP is already doing) or dumb optical slave.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

A_PeeR Registered since 23rd Feb 2013Tue 26-Feb-13 04:01 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rear Curtain Flash - PC-Synched SB's"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thank you gentlemen, most helpful.

Jon - Thanks for confirming my current cobbled setup, hotshoe cables and optical slave will work with the D7000. I know the spec sheet says it does but it is good to get confirmation from a user. I was also looking at the Pentax K-5 IIs which also specs rear curtain flash. Subsequent questioning of end users revealed that the rear curtain flash is only compatible with Pentax PTTL flash and a proprietary Kaf lens. Needless to say that eliminated the K-5 from my list of possible cameras.

Gary - Thanks for the heads up concerning CLS solutions. I will certainly investigate the Nikon options. Currently I am leaning towards an SB 700. The wireless option would be nice for field macros. Allowing one to freedom to hold/place/position the flash as needed.

Best regards - William

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24512 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.