Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24437
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica" Previous topic | Next topic
efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 03:38 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"

Eldridge, US

I’m heading to Costa Rica in May on a 10 day photography trip and I would like to have a camera with a newer sensor than my D90 & D300. I’ve wanted to update my D90 with the D300 replacement but picked up a used D300 last summer so I would have a second body for this trip. The closer the trip gets the more I’m convincing myself I will need higher ISO than the D90 and D300 can offer for the outings into the rain forest.

Long term I plan to stay with DX for the reach so I ruled out a purchase of the D600 (D800 out of my reach) but I have been considering renting the D800 for this trip while I wait for the D400.

The announcement of the D7100 has me rethinking this strategy. It would cost $350-400 to rent the D800 for 14+ days. I’m concerned I won’t be able to fully benefit from the D800 with just a day or two to use it before the trip.

I think I’m talking myself into a D7100. It may or may not be the D300 replacement but it would provide me with the latest Nikon sensor in time for my trip. If the D400 appears later and it has the additional features I want I can sell the D7100 and purchase the D400.

Hypothetically if it arrives later this year I don’t think I would lose much more than the $350-400 it would have cost me to rent the D800 for 14+ days. It would also provide me with the buffer (no pun intended) to let other users test out the new camera.

Does this make sense or is my judgment clouded with NAS fever?

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
efd123 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
efd123 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
TomCurious
23rd Feb 2013
efd123 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Feb 2013
efd123 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 10:02 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Dave, I think that's a very sensible analysis. I, too, would be concerned about taking a camera that's entirely new to me on a big trip. Plus, do you have lenses that would work well on the FX body, or would you have to rent those, too? Or shoot the D800 in DX mode, I suppose. I don't see much downside to getting the D7100 in your case. I suspect that even if you do sell it to move up to the assumed D400 you'll be able to get a good price since the street price of new units isn't likely to drop much for a while.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 04:46 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 1

Eldridge, US

Jon,

Thanks for your reply this helps me along with my decision. I know it sounded good in my head and it helps to put it into writing and get other opinions besides the rolling eyes I get from my wife.

I do have a 300 f/2.8 with TC’s and access to a 14 f/2.8 that would be great on the D800 but the rest of my lens collection is DX.

Dave

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 07:39 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

>Thanks for your reply this helps me along with my decision. I
>know it sounded good in my head and it helps to put it into
>writing and get other opinions besides the rolling eyes I get
>from my wife.

Yes, one of the corollaries of NAS is WRES (wife rolling eyes syndrome). We've all been there, brother!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 12:33 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Maybe Moose Peterson's experience in Costa Rica with the D7100 will aid your decision process.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/2013/02/20/life-is-here/

Visit my gallery.

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 04:51 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 2

Eldridge, US

Chris,

If I didn't know better I would think Moose was writing this with me in mind. If this doesn't get convince me to pre-order the D7100 I don't know what else would.

Dave

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 05:01 PM
2312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

You can rent a lens when needed, but don't rent a camera for an important trip unless you are already familiar with it. Knowing your gear well beats all considerations for high iso performance etc etc.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 07:01 PM
#6. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 5

Eldridge, US

Tom, that makes a lot of sense. My last 15% of doubt is quickly going away. Now I just need to decide if I want to be in the pre-order/first batch group. You know Nikon works hard to keep out all the bugs but cameras are a complex piece of equipment and it sometimes take a while to find those hidden problems.

Dave

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 23-Feb-13 07:47 PM
11058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Dave,

I think the D7100 is the sensible choice for your trip.

The smaller size will make it easier to carry if you are taking two bodies.

Selling the D90 would help offset the cost and then if a D400 is released the D7100 would make a perfect companion body.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 09:36 PM
#9. "RE: D7100 vs renting D800 – Costa Rica"
In response to Reply # 8

Eldridge, US

Dave, it's looking likely I will be one of the early D7100 testers assuming I'm not too far down pre-order list.

Dave

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24437 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.