Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24424
View in linear mode

Subject: "what settings to start with" Previous topic | Next topic
micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Fri 22-Feb-13 11:58 PM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"what settings to start with"

walkertown, US

I just moved into a d7000 from a d80 a couple of weeks ago and I must say,I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the choices of the d7000.I shoot lots of sports,but like football the most.football camp is around the corner and then practice.thats also practice for me to so I will be ready for the games.I shoot with a 70-200mm f2.8.I like to shoot in A mode and watch my shutter speed.I'm looking for some basic settings to get started with to get a feel for the camera.I know my d-80 like the back of my hand but the d-7000 is so much more it's like starting all over again.dont get me wrong,this is going to be tons of fun learning all over again.in fact,it's just as much fun as viewing the results.I shoot jpeg only.just looking for starting points in areas like which auto focus mode,exposure mode,focus point,does auto white balance actually work?I eventually want to set up u1 and u2 for the start of the games with the sun still up to the end of the games under lights.thats the reason for the upgrade,the D-80 just was not doing it under the lights.I could not get sufficient shutter speeds after the sun went down without lots of noise even at F2.8.I welcome any and all recommendations,easy to in depth.thanks, Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 12:42 AM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: what settings to start with"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Feb-13 12:43 AM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

If the light is constant, I use M mode. If not, A mode, generally with the lens wide open. Like you, I just watch my shutter speed and bump up the ISO if needed.

For autofocus, I would stick with AF-C mode, release priority (custom menu a1). For football I leave Focus tracking (a3) off, but some people like to use it. Experiment with that one.

I generally use the 9-point dynamic area mode and leave the AF point right in the center. Once you leave the center point, you're using non-cross-sensors. Whether it's because of that or for some other reason, I haven't had much luck getting the D7000 to track reliably when set to focus points outside the center 9 points. You can also try single-point mode, but for football I find the subject a little small for single-point, especially on a 70-200. You may do better, though.

You will find the auto WB of the D7000 much better than that of the D80, especially during daylight. Field lights are a struggle for any WB system, so I recommend using a custom WB unless you are unfortunate enough to find yourself on a field that has the kind of lights whose color varies with the 60-Hz power cycle. In that case, you're going to have screwed-up white balance no matter what settings you use, so just accept that you'll have to fix the WB in post. (And maybe shoot RAW because of it.)

Just to whet your appetite, here is a frame taken with the D7000 and 70-200 at 200mm, f/2.8, 1/800, ISO 3600, just as the JPEG came out of the camera except resized for the Web:

The WB was on Auto and is a little off because of that. Here is a 100% crop to give you a better idea of the image quality:

Finally, here is the succeeding frame, cropped and with some WB adjustment in Photoshop:

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 23-Feb-13 01:41 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: what settings to start with"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Feb-13 01:46 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Hi Troy,

Congratulations on the upgrade and you'll find the camera has a lot to offer. First and foremost I'd recommend reading/studying the manual and playing with your custom settings menu; very easy to change if you don't like a setting - check out the spread sheet forum @ the top.
I use my 70-200 for football games on a monopod most of the time but have shot without it on occasions. AF-C (a1 set to release) and release mode dial set to CL or CH and d6 set to your preference. I have F5 set to AF on, use aperture priority, ISO sensitivity on auto (100-1600) since the action is sometimes in the sun and other times not. AF-Area with 3D tracking works really good during the play, used dynamic 9 pt, & have used single when I positioned myself in the right area. I've use auto wb most of the time and it really works great. As you can tell these are in no particular order (not all inclusive) and each game may require a different setting. Therefore, I don't use one set-up at all times but these work for me.
As mentioned, study the manual and go through all of the custom settings starting in the Shooting Menu. Start from the top and press the help/protect button on the left backside of the body (#7 on page 5 of the manual) and this will give you a brief description of what the setting does. I would recommend shooting RAW and editing in Nikon ViewNX2 or Capture. Then if the wb is off you can adjust and get a great print. Good luck and enjoy the opportunities before you by experimenting with your fine camera.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24424 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.