Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2429
View in linear mode

Subject: "Focus system" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 11:06 AM
1496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Focus system"

Roland, US

I pulled out my 700 yesterday. Yes, the first time since I got the 7k. Boy, did it feel clunky. I am convinced that the 7k focuses faster, especially in low light. This was highly controlled, extremely scientific, test. Closed roads, professional drivers kinda thing (shot a few frames with each and the 85). Also, the tester was properly knackered. Happy holiday.

It took a minute to find the ISO control on the 700. Made me wonder why they didn't put it where it belongs like the 7k.

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Focus system
richardd300 Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
25th Nov 2010
25th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
26th Nov 2010
26th Nov 2010
km6xz Moderator
26th Nov 2010
26th Nov 2010
JPJ Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Nov 2010

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 03:12 PM
3316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

I too took my D700 out today after my torment with the D7000 focus problem. I don't and won't ever use the video so that's not an issue. I now have a good D7000 after changing it, but must say the feel of my D700 was as ever true magic.

Still getting to know my D7000, but in truth I wish I had gone with my heart and not my head. Heart was the D300s or save the money to put towards it's upgrade, Head was D7000. My D90 was a great camera, the D7000 seems to be a mag alloy reinforced D90 as the image quality is equal to, or slightly less. Time will tell, but at this moment in time long live my D700!

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 03:57 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 1

US

How did you "change" the focus system and what problems were you having?
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 09:08 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Richard, be patient, the D7000 is better in every possible way regarding image quality than the D300's 3 year old technology, or the D90's 2.5 year old design. It is different enough to take a little getting used to but unless yours is defective, soon you are going to be marveling at the images, particularly at low ISO where the DR is wider than anything you have used before.
The more people use it the more praise it generates. The colors, WB, noise, and resolution at 100 ISO are industry leading.

At 12k ISO the D700 will likely give richer colors and more pleasant noise but back down in the region that most photos are taken the D7000 will have the edge.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 10:25 PM
3316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Stan

Yes, of course your comments are more than reasonable and time will tell. I suppose having never had a problem before I am cautious. I am much happier with the replacement D7K and have been clicking away all day capturing the garden birds etc.

Tomorrow, I am going to the wildlife hide and will really flex the camera to do what I bought it for. I will let you know how I get on. As an aside, I see the weather is -7 in St Petersburg today! I was there last year and will return, if only to spend more time at The Hermitage. What a wonderful building.

Cheers

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 26-Nov-10 07:19 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Richard
Yes, it is a different creature and seems to require different handling but the results will be great....eventually.

We had a mild fall, but suddenly this week has been snow each day and highs of -2 to about -7. At this minute it is -8. The city is stunning in clean white snow, particularly at night when the hundreds of thousand accent lights are on each building in the city center.
Next time you come let me know, maybe I can arrange a visit inside the Hermitage after hours. You will still not be able to use a tripod but with a D700 and D7000 light levels will not be such a problem. The 1500 large windows actually provide pretty good natural light during the day.
There are hundreds of other photogenic palaces and cathedrals also, many with hardly a visitor because they are not featured in guide books. With 254 museums, many being the largest of their type in the world, it is hard to cover them all. Winter is a great time to visit because there is such easy access to interesting sights and cultural events. The drama theaters(more than London or NYC), opera houses, ballet and concert options are vast every night. There are 54 concert halls with classical music, 3-6 world class ballets most nights, and several operas....and all within walking distance of my apartment in the city center. A great place to live if one is interested in such things.
By the way, I bet I am one of the few on this forum who has been to Dyserth or ever heard of it. ;>)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 26-Nov-10 08:50 AM
#8. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 7
Fri 26-Nov-10 08:51 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Yes, it will be a matter of time I'm sure. St Petersburg is on my hit list, so thanks for the offer. Snowing here, -1.

I did manage to capture many good shots in the Hermitage without flash. I am recently retired so needed focus, so after getting an A* A level I am currently studying for an BA Hons Arts Degree in Photography and have only yesterday used an image of one of a Hermitage ceiling to represent geometric shapes. I attach that and another interior shot. Both D700 1/60 f2.8 ISO 400. We also went to the Ballet which was fantastic and it's not really my thing. So you've been to Dyserth, not many in Russia who have so I suspect you are correct.

Anyway, won't use up any more forum space, but interesting talking to you.

Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 26-Nov-10 11:25 AM
#9. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

Just a quick note. When shooting some of these interiors(these are quite familiar to me, I've spent a lot of time going up and down the Jordan Staircase) is that they are bright. Metering will expect to them to average middle grey so just like with snow, add .7-1 in positive Exposure Compensation. With the d7000 you can shoot normally(or under expose to make sure the windows are not blown) and boost in post by that amount after masking the windows. The vivid bright colors and dominate white and marble will look bright white.
Young Russians are avid travelers so it would not be uncommon to find them anywhere. I just moved here 8 years ago from the US. My sister used to live in a small village near Bath and I used to visit her and borrow her extra car to travel all over the UK so ended up in Wales more than once. Historically, the family, on both sides, are from the area north of Edinburgh.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 26-Nov-10 07:35 PM
#10. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

Thanks again for that.

After corresponding this morning, I received my "Nikon Pro" magazine. Interestingly, the feature Nikon put in is called "Shooting in St Petersburg". A very good article about where to go, what and what not to do, permits etc. It featured Mikhailovsky and Marlinskii Theatres, and favourite photo locations by a guy called Titarenko.

Of all the holidays we've had the Baltic was without doubt the highlight of any we've ever had. August in perfect weather.

Thanks again for all the help with the D7000.

Best

Richard

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 11:22 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

The more I use my d7000 the more I like it (note: I don't use the video, in fact I have only gone into video mode 4 times and each time was to test something in it after reading about problems with it, mine doesn't have any of them).

There is nothing about my D90 that is better than the D7000. The D7000 has better DR, noise performance, tones, colour, Auto WB, metering and the AF system is faster and way more flexible. The setting banks are awesome, such a simple idea, why did it take Nikon so long to put them on a dial? The battery life is amazing, it literally feels like it lasts forever. The extra MP's require careful technique, but when used properly, the details provide for sharper photos. I could go on.

Right now in Toronto you can buy a 300s for $30 more than the D7000, I wouldn't personally buy one for $300 less than the D7000 given that they only thing it ever did better than the D90 was AF.

Jason

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 06:36 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Focus system"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>This was highly controlled, extremely scientific, test. Closed roads, professional drivers kinda thing... Happy holiday.
>

Since we're talking highly scientific here , I had this eerie feeling the first time I pulled out the D7000 on birds in flight that "Hey WAIT A MINUTE, my D300 doesn't AF this good!".

Am going bird-shooting on the weekend so that will help me to get a clearer understanding, it is going to take me a while to get the measure of the D7K. It is a complex demanding tool this new kid on the block and am having a lot of fun in the process of getting to know it (and my D300/700 are getting very little use).

I totally munged up U1 and U2 last night while shooting video and its pretty evident that under heat of the fire I had no idea where the buttons are. How do I change to Aperture Priority when I'm already sitting in U2 for example? (it must have defaulted to Program because I had never used U2 until last night). A complete U1/U2 setting rebuild is now required on my part.

Happy Holiday to all and Thanks to Nikonians for a great effort over the years,
SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2429 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.