Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2426
View in linear mode

Subject: "Theatre sample videos" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 07:20 AM
4170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Theatre sample videos"
Thu 25-Nov-10 08:13 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Here's a couple quick video uploads from theatre tonight. This is High School Musical.

Camera is D7000, sound recorded via a Zoom H4n sound recording device on hotshoe and wired to camera (later on I'll try and load the high quality 96Khz/24 bit sound recorded by the Zoom on its own SD card, but for now this is sound loaded into the camera via the external mic input). Nothing special on the edits yet, just a quickie cut and paste. originally shot in 720P/24 but loaded into iMovie at only "large (540)" so cut down quality as soon as I entered iMovie and then by whatever compression YouTube does.

Video is a bit of a blast aside from quintuple operator errors going on at a more or less constant pace

Lots to learn. These are manual exposure shot in what I call RRRoger AF mode (AF-S and only touch up focus as needed). I need to learn to not touch up AF so often since I was shooting stopped down to f8 or so (varied aperture while shooting to maximize depth of field). Manual exposure is something I blundered into and plan to learn more about. I had a lot of negative EV dialled in (anywhere from -1 to -1.7 EV just like when I shoot stills in this venue) but it looks like I underexposed. Also, for some reason YouTube is much darker than what I can see within iMovie. I was also changing EV while shooting so if you see any exposure change that was likely me trying to avoid blown highlights. As near as I could recall from the display while shooting these were mostly ISO3200 but also ranging from 2200-3200, I used Auto-ISO.

Links are here:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=StevePerformanceca#p/u/0/L5kwGNwMx9A

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=StevePerformanceca#p/u/0/1gcxr4fijvI

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Theatre sample videos
Biker Bill Gold Member
25th Nov 2010
caesarhernandez
25th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
28th Nov 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Nov 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
28th Nov 2010
hamjam Silver Member
28th Nov 2010

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 08:46 AM
928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Steve thank you for posting the video links. I did not buy the d7k to shoot video but after seeing what you did in a tough venue it may just change my thinking. My kids are grown and grandkids are too far away so I have not seen a high school play in a long time. It brought back pleasent memories. Was one of your children on stage?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

caesarhernandez Registered since 04th Nov 2010Thu 25-Nov-10 09:35 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 0

CR

I don't see any blown pixels, and the sound quality is surprisingly good. Looks like maintaining focus could be a problem. I can hardly wait for mine to arrive!

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 25-Nov-10 10:47 PM
1966 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I don't see any blown pixels,

Thanks Steve, that’s really nice work and shows the potential of the D7000.

As for the hot pixels, well I’m not very familiar with video but I believe those were reduced resolution, which would possibly interpolate the hot pixels out.

In fact in the first video they are tougher to spot but still there. They come and go which seems to indicate to me that indeed the interpolation down to 360 or 480p just might hide them at times.

In the second video there is a steady hot pixel in the whole clip, although if you go down to 240P it disappears. It also seems to vary in brightness, which seems to indicate the camera is constantly adjusting the gain to accommodate the different light levels of the scene.

They are easier to spot if you display the videos full screen as opposed to the YouTube site size. Sorry to nit-pick the clips, but I felt I needed to be honest about what I saw as far as the hot pixel issue.

Pete

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 11:12 PM
4170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 3

Alberta, CA

Yes Pete, the hot pixels are there. From my test videos around the house I thought I had two but I noted in one scene even more.

I don't plan to return the camera but I would like the problem fixed hopefully via firmware. The Canon 5Dii has had many firmware fixes targeted at video in the years since it's release, so I am hopeful.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 25-Nov-10 11:05 PM
#4. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

Thanks Bill and Caesar,

Yes I think so far that the continuous AF known as AF-F is too jumpy and better to rely on manually hitting half-press on the shutter in AF-S mode as needed - seems to be more practical. Longer-term I will keep trying AF-F in it's various modes (portrait , wide, normal, subject tracking).

Yes my daughter went through this theatre programme (which ends at age 20) and is now pursuing a theatrical career via studying theatre at University. I still help out this programme, it is the greatest thing, and a big reason why we moved to this town 6 years ago.

I am now a theatre nut - there is nothing like live theatre! To capture video snippets of it has been a long-time goal which the D7K is enabling. I got some very clean dialogue scenes that I will post prob after the weekend.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 27-Nov-10 03:43 PM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Steve,
I really liked the first video.
Seemed to me the AF was very good.
What lens did you use?
Have you tried shooting wide open?
Perhaps that would be a good idea for single subject and poor one for a group.
Have you tried Auto ISO 6400?
I've had really good luck with it in movie mode.

There is a huge amount to learn and our videos will probably get worst before better.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 10:05 AM
#8. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

Hi Roger,

That was the 24-70. I haven't gone as high 6400, but sounds good - will give it a try.

The next thing I would like to try is to understand shutter speed - it seems to have an impact on ISO but am not sure what the tradeoffs are. And I have not yet tried shooting video in a mode other than manual nor in shallower depth of field situations yet.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 28-Nov-10 01:55 PM
3134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 29-Nov-10 12:48 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>Hi Roger,
>
>That was the 24-70. I haven't gone as high 6400, but sounds
>good - will give it a try.
>
>The next thing I would like to try is to understand shutter
>speed - it seems to have an impact on ISO but am not sure what
>the trade offs are. And I have not yet tried shooting video in
>a mode other than manual nor in shallower depth of field
>situations yet.
>
>Best regards, SteveK
>
My understanding from the cinema5D forum is that you should not use a shutter faster than 160 for videos.
Auto ISO will slow that down in extreme low light.

I have my Auto ISO sensitivity settings at:
ON
1/160

I usually shoot a single subject with Aperture wide open and EV -0.3 indoors.
If you set up manual, I am not sure if 24, 30 or something faster would be best.
What speed and f-stop were you at for that first Video?
There seemed to be little or no blurring.

I have an AF-S Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 on my D7000 today for the service because I like to zoom.
I may switch to the 35 f/1.8 because it is so sharp.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 28-Nov-10 02:42 PM
#10. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 9

Alberta, CA

Thanks Roger.

That was f8 (sometimes changed to f5.6 while filming some of the clips) and 1/60 of a second.

I am thinking for some of my shooting a wider range zoom like an 24-120, 18-200 could be quite handy!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Sun 28-Nov-10 02:43 AM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Theatre sample videos"
In response to Reply # 0

Lincoln, US

Steve,

Great looking video and sound. I just got mine this past week, had to wait until getting back in town today to now open the box and start the learning curve.

I too, would be interested in the ISO/Lens used.

Regards,

Jim

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2426 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.