Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24219
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 1.3x crop question?" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Thu 21-Feb-13 01:29 PM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 1.3x crop question?"

Morristown, US

I'm glad I waited for the D7000 update. The D7100 has a 1.3x crop mode. Does that mean that when I'm using my Sigma 150-500 with a 1.5x crop gives me the FOV of a 225 750 lens. If I use the 1.3x crop mode do I get the FoV of 293 - 975? This would be awesome and very handy for my wildlife photos.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?
briantilley Moderator
21st Feb 2013
WD4MLA Silver Member
21st Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
21st Feb 2013
WD4MLA Silver Member
21st Feb 2013
agitater Gold Member
22nd Feb 2013
Omaha
21st Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
21st Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
21st Feb 2013
verdict
21st Feb 2013
Omaha
21st Feb 2013
NikonMark37814
22nd Feb 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
benmlee
26th Feb 2013
bipock Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
Robman3
27th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
27th Feb 2013
Robman3
27th Feb 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 21-Feb-13 01:33 PM
28767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Yes, that is correct. There's no magnification involved, of course - just cropping. If my arithmetic is correct, the 1.3x crop area has about 14MP.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 21-Feb-13 03:20 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sylva, US

This is a mode that can be turned on and off, right? I shoot mostly on the wide end and my 18-85VR gives me the field of view of 24mm now. I could still get this on the D7100??

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Feb-13 03:26 PM
6162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

Yes, Jerry, it is a mode you can turn on and off at will.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 21-Feb-13 05:38 PM
898 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 6

Sylva, US

Thanks, Jon just what I wanted to know

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 22-Feb-13 01:40 PM
3980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

JPG Large in 1.3x crop mode is 4,800 x 3,200 (13.5 MP).

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 03:18 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

My back-of-the-napkin calculations agree with yours.

Of course, since no real magnification is involved, the only advantage is reduced in-camera file size, and therefore improved burst speed (if I read it right, it takes the D7100 from 6fps to 7fps). I assume that means you'll get a few more shots in the buffer before the camera stalls out writing them to the card. Other than that, you may as well just shoot full DX frame size and crop later.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Feb-13 03:25 PM
6162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

You will also get more shots on the SD card, quicker transfer to the computer and less storage on your hard drive.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Feb-13 03:24 PM
#4. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I'm not sure there's much to be gained by carrying crop-factor calculations out to 3 digits, but to be pedantic:

The "1.5x" crop factor of the D7100 is actually more like 1.53x.

The 1.3-crop of the D7100 uses an 18mm x 12mm sensor area, which is exactly a 2x crop compared to the 36mm x 24mm "full frame" size.

So your Sigma lens FOV equivalents are 300-1000. Nice, round numbers. Of course, the actual focal length of the lens isn't accurate to three digits, either!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

verdict Registered since 14th Aug 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 05:42 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 4

FI

So basically it's just digital zoom. Who wants digital zoom @ DSLR?

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 06:10 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 8

Omaha, US

For the reasons stated. There are times in certain applications where improved burst speed and reduced file size are more important than maximum MP counts. The fact that such things also bring with them the equivalent of a "digital zoom" is incidental.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Fri 22-Feb-13 01:19 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 9

Morristown, US

The 1.3x crop will be very handy. I started using my D2x HSC last summer with my D2x and enjoyed the extra FoV and the smaller 6.8 mp files. I plan to order a D7100 but want to make sure Nikon doesn't introduce the D400 first. Although I shoot FX and DX I'm stickly a DX shooter when it comes to wildlife.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 12:35 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 22-Feb-13 01:48 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

>I'm glad I waited for the D7000 update. The D7100 has a 1.3x
>crop mode. Does that mean that when I'm using my Sigma
>150-500 with a 1.5x crop gives me the FOV of a 225 750 lens.
>If I use the 1.3x crop mode do I get the FoV of 293 - 975?
>This would be awesome and very handy for my wildlife photos.

As long as you manage your expectations. It is very difficult to capture sharp images at those focal lengths. You will have to use the exact same equipment and techniques to fight movement/vibration that you would have to use for an actual lens of that focal length on a full frame camera. So when your first few attempts are disappointing, don't blame the sensor or the lens!

Visit my gallery.

benmlee Registered since 03rd Jul 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 01:13 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Don't know why Nikon make it so difficult. 1.3 crop applys to the already 1.5x crop of the DX sensor. Why not just say 2x crop.
The 2x crop effectively turns the D7100 into a large M4/3 camera That may be the real marketing reason why Nikon don't want to mention the 2x crop because of the stigma attached to it.

bipock Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2013Tue 26-Feb-13 02:42 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 13

Greenville, US

My D800 has this capability too. However, I don't find it that useful as the viewfinder view doesn't change, meaning you really can't see any better where your focus point is hitting - which would be one of the benefits of using it. I do understand the better burst rates and lower memory costs, but without a bigger picture to view with making the capture, I see little use for it.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 27-Feb-13 08:55 PM
1761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 28-Feb-13 05:21 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Recent conversations and other advice in a different thread brought me to an explanation from an associate using his cell phone to find a chart and examples.

Motion film stock evolved to be used across the width with perforations on the far left and right. The media moved vertically on a north to south axis.

Film SLR stock had similar size stock but with perforations on the top and bottom, giving us the full frame 35mm format and so moved after exposure from left to right.

During one period consumer cameras for film were being touted to hold twice as many exposures, late 70's as I recall, and that was a precursor to digital frame size in a sense.

A DX sensor, uses about one half of that original film frame size, in a ratio (2.4 plus or minus).

When superimposed over an FF (FX) sensor dimension, DX turned vertically, covers as noted about 1/2 of the FX sensor footprint.

The marketing speak of 1.5 crop is misleading and confuses the uninformed about actual dimensions. Canon OTH has a slightly larger size for crop but does the same tap dance about real ratios.

So yes, perhaps the marketing is embarrassed to publish ratios instead of field of view.

Narrowing the exposure area with a lens (extractions) might increases the reach but does so (arguably) at expenses of sharpness depending on the level of lens acuity within the defined sensor range.

If the capture is at an optimum "sweet spot" fine, otherwise technical ability, tripod, sand bags etc. may well come into play as noted above. In video especially because that is always around 2MP's.

That softness has led to DX designed lenses over the last few cycles.

A cine designed lens, like Zeiss, or older/other/best Nikkor glass with sterling credentials, make this an easier task.

That is not to say the D7100 etc. are not up to long term standards, it simply obviates the dilemma facing design-marketing, and the level of pixel peeping needed to be satisfied with the end product.

Breaking down the density for wall size, adverts, fashion, etc. or publishing standard web or download 8 x 10's for sale, choices, so many choices.

My, $.02 cents,

Rob Manning

RM

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 27-Feb-13 09:11 PM
28767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 15

Paignton, GB

>The marketing speak of 1.5 crop is misleading and confuses the
>uninformed about actual dimensions.

It's misleading only if you misunderstand what the crop factor was meant to illustrate - and it wasn't just marketing.

The 1.5x factor gives those of us used to 135-format cameras a quick way of appreciating the field of view a given focal length will give us on DX. We can mentally imagine how a shot will look with (say) a 75mm lens on 135, and the crop factor tells us that we'll get pretty much the same field of view with a 50mm lens on DX.

Now that we have almost a generation of photographers who have grown up with DX, four-thirds and compact cameras, perhaps the crop factor is less useful than it was...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 27-Feb-13 09:20 PM
1761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7100 1.3x crop question?"
In response to Reply # 16
Wed 27-Feb-13 09:25 PM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Brain,

Yes couldn't agree more.

Those who are late comers, or late bloomers (may not) have no real concept of wet based processing, or the elements based in film imagery.

Point taken.

Rob Manning

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24219 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.