Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24117
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure compensation" Previous topic | Next topic
Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 10:35 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure compensation"

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

I am having trouble with exposure compensation. It has worked in the past, but sat here in my lounge I was trying it out once again. I took sample images at -5.0 and +5.0 and there is no difference in the brightness of the images. I am in Manual mode so I don't think it is the camera compensating for the changes. Any ideas please. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Exposure compensation
briantilley Moderator
20th Feb 2013
Remooc
20th Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
20th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
jmiguez Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
Remooc
20th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
jmiguez Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
aolander Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
hnagy
20th Feb 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
Remooc
21st Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
21st Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
21st Feb 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 20-Feb-13 10:44 AM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Feb-13 10:44 AM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

When you're in manual exposure mode, using Exposure Compensation won't change the actual aperture and shutter speed - you're still in control of those settings. In that mode, compensation just changes the amount of under- or over-exposure that the meter display indicates.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 10:54 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 1

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hi Brian,
I was using manual mode so I controlled all aspects of the camera, I was expecting an underexposed image at -5.0 and an overexposed image at +5.0 but both images taken are exactly the same exposure and brightness as a image with no compensation. Surely there should be some difference using manual mode?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 20-Feb-13 11:18 AM
28771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Surely there should be some difference using
>manual mode?

No, in manual exposure mode the camera will always use the aperture and shutter speed that you select.

When you set -5 stops of compensation, all the camera does is alter the meter baseline by 5 stops; the exposure will be the same unless you alter the aperture or shutter speed to zero the meter.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 11:34 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 3

Norwalk, US

>>Surely there should be some difference using
>>manual mode?
>
>No, in manual exposure mode the camera will always use the
>aperture and shutter speed that you select.
>
>When you set -5 stops of compensation, all the camera does is
>alter the meter baseline by 5 stops; the exposure will be the
>same unless you alter the aperture or shutter speed to
>zero the meter.

Not only that, but some on the lower end cameras without a front command dial, it doesn't even do that much! There is no way to bias the meter using exposure compensation on certain cameras, without digging through menus. Also, on the P7x00 series Coolpix, which have a dedicated exposure compensation dial, it also won't bias the meter.

Exposure compensation is used in automatic modes when the subject and/or background is fooling the meter into under or over exposing it. For instance: a backlit black cat (this is the internet, we all like cat pictures, right?) in a room lit with sunlight through the windows: the matrix meter will tend to expose for 18% grey, so the cat will be solid black. Set the exposure compensation to +3 or so and it'll expose for the cat properly.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 20-Feb-13 11:42 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

Why would I want to bias the meter? Why not just change the exposure to where I want it to be?

This is why I like Nikonians so much. You get opportunities to learn things you didn't even know you didn't know.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 12:45 PM
#6. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 5

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Now I'm getting more confused. In the manual on page 107 is states that dailing in + or - compensation will give you over or under exposed images. What I was intending to use it for was smooth water at the beach. If after sunset the camera was say giving me 4 seconds for the correct exposure then I was going to use -5.0 ev to enable a longer exposure. Or is this not how this works? I could wait till it was even darker though, I've used a nd10 filter but these leave a slight colour cast.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 12:52 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 6

Norwalk, US

>Now I'm getting more confused. In the manual on page 107 is
>states that dailing in + or - compensation will give you over
>or under exposed images. What I was intending to use it for
>was smooth water at the beach. If after sunset the camera was
>say giving me 4 seconds for the correct exposure then I was
>going to use -5.0 ev to enable a longer exposure. Or is this
>not how this works? I could wait till it was even darker
>though, I've used a nd10 filter but these leave a slight
>colour cast.

IF the CAMERA is controlling the exposure (P, A or S modes), then the exposure compensation will under or over expose the image. It does this by adjusting the aperture and/or the shutter speed.

If YOU are controlling the exposure, not the camera (M mode) then exposure compensation will only cause the meter to bias its reading. Because the camera cannot adjust either aperture or shutter speed as you control both, it will not change the exposure at all.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 12:54 PM
#8. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 5

Norwalk, US

>Why would I want to bias the meter? Why not just change the
>exposure to where I want it to be?

Many meters will only read up or down 2-3 stops. You can adjust exposure compensation beyond that, so with a biased meter you can under or over expose by 7-8 stops with a precise meter reading.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 20-Feb-13 01:20 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 8

Lafayette, US

Thank you! Now I understand. I appreciate the educational moment. There have been times when I ran into the e.v. compensation limits.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 20-Feb-13 01:20 PM
3203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

In manual exposure mode, you obtain the correct exposure by choosing an aperture and shutter speed that zeros the meter. If you then enable exposure compensation (EC) in manual mode, the meter will no longer be zeroed at the original settings. For example, if f/5.6 at 1/125th were the correct settings with no EC enabled, setting a +1 EC would then require f/4 at 1/125th (or equivalent) to zero the meter. You have to change these settings, not the camera, when in manual mode.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Wed 20-Feb-13 08:58 PM
#11. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 10

Cairo, EG

>In manual exposure mode, you obtain the correct exposure by
>choosing an aperture and shutter speed that zeros the meter.
>If you then enable exposure compensation (EC) in manual mode,
>the meter will no longer be zeroed at the original settings.
>For example, if f/5.6 at 1/125th were the correct settings
>with no EC enabled, setting a +1 EC would then require f/4 at
>1/125th (or equivalent) to zero the meter. You have to change
>these settings, not the camera, when in manual mode.

Wowww, that clear things for me, in other words, shifting the scale, either up or down, right?
Same as using "capodasto" in guitars

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 20-Feb-13 10:04 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Angeles, US

What a surprise to learn that. Just yesterday, I was puzzled because i was shooting with a speedlight on top, and the EC I set in wasn't having an effect.

I was in manual mode. Speedlight was in manual also, but it threw in some EC through the flash power. And that made the image a little too bright.

All the automation is designed to help us, not confuse us. If we understand it. But, thank goodness of Nikonians or I would never understand so much.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 12:39 PM
#13. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 12

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks for all the replies, whilst I understand that in manual mode you are fully in control of the camera, I thought exposure compensation was another tool for us to change exposures. Wishful thinking. When it worked last time I had left in +5.0 and all the shots came out too bright. I must have been in modes A or S then. Now that I shoot mainly in M mode I cant see this being much of a useful feature.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 21-Feb-13 01:39 PM
#14. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 13

Paignton, GB

>Now that I shoot mainly in M
>mode I cant see this being much of a useful feature.

Even if you shoot in M mode, if you use the camera meter to judge exposure, compensation can still be helpful. If you have another way of ascertaining correct exposure, then it's no use.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 21-Feb-13 03:41 PM
8528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Exposure compensation"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

One additional thought is Auto ISO. I frequently use Manual Mode with Auto ISO to maintain the camera aperture and shutter speed while letting ISO control the exposure. In this scenario, you woudl still get an adjustment in the exposure with Exposure Comp - but its the ISO that would change.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24117 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.