Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24078
View in linear mode

Subject: "Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash" Previous topic | Next topic
Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 02:47 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"

Lakewood, US

I am starting g to venture out it is always cloudy here in Washington state. I was playing with my camera to learn this flash SB700 I bought last week. The pictures are coming out too bright and with just the camera flash they are to dark. This week they want me to photograph an indoor event all because I have a nice camera. It is a military formal with dim lights. They know I am a very very beginner. They said its a learning opportunity. I did this before a few years ago I did not own the camera it belonged where I worked that's what hooked me up on photography now 3 years later the pictures were more in depth then the pro they paid $1000 for and all I did was push buttons it was only a D90. I am looking for an online college or class in beginner photography .

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash
agitater Gold Member
18th Feb 2013
IanCT
19th Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th Feb 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
20th Feb 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 03:14 PM
3970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Feb-13 03:15 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

Tacoma Community College offers courses in beginner, intermediate and advanced photography. The courses are very well regarded.

Google and Bing are your friends. If you do basic online searches for "photography courses in tacoma" and "photography clubs in tacoma" you will find a large number of resources.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Tue 19-Feb-13 06:04 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

Try shooting in Program or Auto, and turn ISO down to 200 or 400, making sure Auto ISO is turned off.

Also make sure exposure compensation is 0.0.

Those settings should properly expose your image when using an SB-700.

When outside use matrix metering so the flash will balance the image, filling in shadows, inside I prefer spot metering.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 19-Feb-13 06:12 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

Also, see if you can get some people indoors and take pictures of them, and learn about bounce flash. The D7000 and SB700 will meter it all automatically.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 19-Feb-13 07:38 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

What settings are you using that are coming out too bright? Are you, by any chance, using Auto ISO when taking those shots? If so, images will likely be to dark since the ISO is increased by the camera to expose well for the aperture and speed selected without regard to a flash mounted or not. Any light added at the time of exposure will cause the image to be over exposed.
A good thing to remember is the metering in the camera is considering the light reflect now, not when the flash fires. One way to get around that is simply turn off Auto ISO or just switch to full manual exposure so you have control over how much of the exposure is from ambient light and how much is from the flash. By setting your exposure meter to show ambient lighting is going to leave the image 1 full tick under exposed according to the light meter at the bottom, the flash will supply the rest, about 1/2 the light needed for full exposure. Two tick marks under exposed on the meter will mean the flash will try to fill in 3/4 of the light for the full exposure.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Wed 20-Feb-13 10:49 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Outdoor photography with SB 700 flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I often use a flash exposure compensation of EV -1 when using TTL-BL outdoors to tone down the bright look.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24078 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.