Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24060
View in linear mode

Subject: "focus problem" Previous topic | Next topic
spyder08 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2012Sun 17-Feb-13 09:55 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"focus problem"

Kenosha, US

I have a D7000 that I think is not focusing correctly. Please check the photo in my gallery with the red light house the focus piont was on the light house. The camera was set to single piont focus and the lens is a brand new Nikkor 35mm.
Thanks
Brian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: focus problem
dm1dave Administrator
18th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
spyder08 Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th Feb 2013
elec164 Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
BeeKay60 Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
spyder08 Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
JosephK Silver Member
19th Feb 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 18-Feb-13 02:32 AM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Here is a link to the photo in Brian’s gallery.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/413217/size/big/cat/23628

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 18-Feb-13 04:30 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Hard to say what is going on. Can you get us an unedited version of the picture? PSP removed most of the EXIF data (like Photoshop does).

Was there a filter on the lens?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

spyder08 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 12:11 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Kenosha, US

I posted the un edited photo in my gallery. I do not know how to add the link to this message. The focus was set to continuous and single piont the square in the veiwfinder was on the red lighthouse.
thnaks
Brian

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 19-Feb-13 01:52 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, WA, US

According to the EXIF data, there is no "used focus point". This usually means either (1) focus was never achieved, or (2) you did a focus-and-recompose.

Given that Nikonians Gallery resized the image down to 1800 pixels, visual inspections will not be conclusive. However, given the sharpness of the rocks in the foreground, and this from the EXIF "Focus Distance: 5.01 m", my guess is that either things are not as you remember them or the camera changed the focus on you.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 19-Feb-13 07:46 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

The photo has been removed from the gallery but the exif data points to focus not achieved. Is the removed photo typical of all other photos or or was the posted image a one time event of missed focus among generally well focused subjects?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 19-Feb-13 11:33 AM
1968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 19-Feb-13 11:41 AM by elec164

US

>The photo has been removed from the gallery but the exif data
>points to focus not achieved.

He removed the original but added a new image.

According to the EXIF AF-C was used, so could that be the reason it reports no focus point selected? The use of AF-C would also rule out focus and recompose I would think.

But I agree with Joseph K that the focus plane seems to be in the foreground just past the boulders.

Pete

Edited to add: to the OP: did you take this image employing the hyper-focal technique? Or did you intend on focusing on the red light house? If focusing on the light house did you use single point focus moving the focus point or focus and recompose?

BeeKay60 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2009Tue 19-Feb-13 12:46 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Roseville, US

For future reference where in the exif does it say "focus not achieved"?

Betsy
Nikon D7000, D60
Windows 7 Ultimate
Lightroom 5.3
Photoshop CC

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 04:48 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 7

HIXSON, US

+1

Me too, I want to know.

Charlie

spyder08 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 09:47 PM
#9. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Kenosha, US

I did use auto focus-c the selective focus square in the veiwfinder was on the red lighthouse and the dot was in the canter. I think I will use a different auto focus setting. Does pushing the release half way loick the focus?
Thanks
Brian

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 19-Feb-13 10:33 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 9

Chicago, US

It starts the focus but in AF-C the shutter can trip even if focus is not achieved. You need to see the focused dot in the viewfinder to know that focus has been achieved. If you want you shutter not to release use the AF-S and set the option to lock the shutter until focus is achieved.

I believe the focused distance is blank or empty until focus is achieved.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 20-Feb-13 12:00 AM
#12. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 9

Seattle, WA, US

In AF-S (single), the focus will "lock" and stay at that distance as long as the focus button is held (af-on or half-pressed shutter).

In AF-C (continuous), the focus does not "lock" but instead "tracks" your original target (to an extent based on the number of points you allow it to use).

In this case, you are using single-point AF-C. This means that the camera will continuously change the focus based on what is under that one focus point as long as the focus button is held down. Here you would have wanted to be in AF-S mode.

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 19-Feb-13 11:41 PM
#11. "RE: focus problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Seattle, WA, US

>For future reference where in the exif does it say
>"focus not achieved"?

This may turn out to be a misinterpretation of the EXIF data.

ExifTool 8.73 says
Primary AF Point : C6 (Center)
AF Points Used : Unknown (01 00 00 00 00 00 00)

ExifTool 9.18 says
Primary AF Point : C6 (Center)
AF Points Used : C6

Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24060 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.