Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24051
View in linear mode

Subject: "Scene Mode Selection Picture" Previous topic | Next topic
SchurchD7000 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2013Sun 17-Feb-13 02:58 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Scene Mode Selection Picture"

Marietta, US

I recently purchased a d7000 and have not yet had an opportunity to shoot much. This is my first DSRL thus I am a very much a novice. I have read 90% of Darrell Young’s “Mastering the Nikon D7000”. I understand maybe 75% of what I read and probably can apply less than 40% of what I have understood. Therefore, I am going to begin using the AUTO mode hoping to progress to the M, A, S and P modes with experience.

My concern: I want to take advantage of the SCENE Modes (Portrait, Landscape, Child etc). After selecting SCENE mode and turning the Main command dial I see the scene mode icons for each option but I am also supposed to see a small picture showing the effect. The picture does not appear. Looking through the viewfinder I do see the Scene mode icon I have chosen in the upper left hand corner. Also when I’m in the process of turning the dial the options stay on the screen for only about a second. Now this may not be a problem but what concerns me is, what have I done to not be able to see the small picture and are there other consequences for what I have done.

If my description above is unclear and if you have Darrell Young’s book you can turn to page 346 figure 8.18 screen 4.

Thanks

Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture
four eighty sparky Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
paul_7e Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
SchurchD7000 Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
paul_7e Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
18th Feb 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
18th Feb 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 17-Feb-13 08:04 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Do you think the icon should stay on longer?

Should the icon show in the viewfinder (it doesn't)?

What the effects are on the camera settings that each Scene mode makes?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberSun 17-Feb-13 08:15 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I don't use the scene modes, but I tried it using the instructions in Darrell Young's book on page 347 with reference to the picture on page 346. According to step 3 of the instructions, when you turn the main rear command dial, each click past the first one displays a different scene mode on the Monitor, with a small picture showing the effect provided. The scene mode display shows for only about 2 seconds before the monitor turns off. I'm not sure why the picture doesn't appear on your monitor, but it did on mine (for about 2 seconds). Actually, it was so brief that I missed the first picture. I hope this helps.

Paul

SchurchD7000 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 01:02 AM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 2

Marietta, US

Thanks Paul. I see everything you do for the same length of time except, no little picture. I thought I have the latest firmware but I will have to recheck. Darrell Young made a comment in his book that Scene modes were a Nikon afterthought as there was little mention of it in the User manual. I never cracked the manual went direct to Young's book.

I see you are living in MN, my home state. Moved to GA way back in 1976. GO GOPHERS!

All the Best

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberMon 18-Feb-13 01:22 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 3

US

The latest software version is:
A - 1.02
B - 1.03
L - 1.006

If your camera is fairly new, it should have the latest software, depending on where you bought it. Good luck.

I'm originally from NH, and moved to MN about 20 years ago. I wish I had moved South (or further West). I guess you don't miss the "wonderful" winter weather!

Paul

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Mon 18-Feb-13 07:22 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Feb-13 06:42 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

In my honest opinion, stay away from the scene modes. They won't help you learn to use your camera. The best advice I could give anyone is to get out of auto and take control. The sooner you do that, the sooner your photos will improve. P mode is also in my opinion a waste of time - it's still a version of auto, albeit with very limited user intervention.

Learn the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO in relation to exposure and learn how aperture affects depth of field. Get up into A mode and take control of depth of field. The next step is understanding the autofocus system so that you can choose the focal point of an image - coupled with depth of field control via the aperture you will now be in control of the 'look' of your image. Play with settings. Practice, practice, practice, practice. Shoot, shoot, and shoot again. See how different settings change the look of your images.

Learn about white balance, metering modes and exposure compensation, then you'll be well on your way to achieving great results.

SchurchD7000 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 02:57 PM
#7. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 4

Marietta, US

I know you are right Graeme. I'm running out time before I' leaving on a couple of trips and was looking at Scene mode to get the best pictures without much experience.

I was fortunate to have lived in your wonderful country for a year. Made great friends and travelled quite a bit. Looking forward to coming back.

Thanks for your suggestions.

All the Best

Don

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 18-Feb-13 09:00 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamison, US

use the main screen, hit the INFO button on the back lower right then select using the command dial

SchurchD7000 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 03:04 PM
#8. "RE: Scene Mode Selection Picture"
In response to Reply # 5

Marietta, US

I followed your suggestion Michael, and no small example picture on the screen.

Thanks for your suggestion.

All the Best

Don

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24051 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.