Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24019
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Top LCD not turning off" Previous topic | Next topic
hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 16-Feb-13 11:20 AM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
Sat 16-Feb-13 11:22 AM by hyphotographer

GB

I noticed my D7000 would not turn off its top LCD, the one next to the shutter release button.

Later I found that it was due to one of my SD card not working properly.

Apparently, before it turns off the LCD to display the number of remaining shots, the capacity of SD cards need to be read properly.

If one SD card is faulty, it will take a long time for detection, or give up trying, before switch off the LCD. In my case, it took few minutes.

Has anyone seen this problem?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off
Gamecocks Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
mjhach Silver Member
09th Sep 2013
tcerul
16th Feb 2013
hnagy
18th Feb 2013
EZRDRZ
21st Feb 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
21st Feb 2013
hyphotographer
21st Feb 2013
EZRDRZ
21st Feb 2013
hyphotographer
21st Feb 2013
     Reply message SD card usage
hyphotographer
10th Aug 2013
          Reply message RE: SD card usage
RLDubbya Silver Member
11th Aug 2013
briantilley Moderator
11th Aug 2013
hyphotographer
05th Sep 2013
briantilley Moderator
05th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
06th Sep 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
06th Sep 2013
                              Reply message SSD and SD
hyphotographer
07th Sep 2013
km6xz Moderator
08th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
08th Sep 2013
hyphotographer
14th Sep 2013
briantilley Moderator
14th Sep 2013
Reply message Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?
technicalganesh
22nd Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?
hyphotographer
23rd Feb 2013
hyphotographer
23rd Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
hnagy
23rd Feb 2013
briantilley Moderator
23rd Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
hyphotographer
23rd Feb 2013
          Reply message Never discharge Li-ion battery completely
hyphotographer
23rd Feb 2013
          Reply message Burnt Lithium battery
hyphotographer
24th Feb 2013
               Reply message RE: Burnt Lithium battery
hyphotographer
02nd Aug 2013
elec164 Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
hyphotographer
02nd Aug 2013
km6xz Moderator
08th Sep 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 16-Feb-13 11:57 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Feb-13 12:11 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

I may be mistaken but I believe there was a thread about this several months ago; basically said what you have experienced. You might can go to the search box located in the top right to see if you can find it. Good luck.

John

Found the thread as suggested above:
ericbowles Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Thu 01-Dec-11 11:30 AM
6629 posts, Recommend member |Recommended by 55
#10. "RE: D7000 does not power off"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

Just to clarify for others, my power off issue occurred with and without the battery grip, with and without a lens, and both at the original time of the error and still continued an hour later when I got home.

To resolve the issue one of the following worked:
-removing the battery and both memory cards
-reseating the membory cards
-replacing the same battery
-reformatting both memory cards in camera

I'm not sure exactly which of these steps provided resolution but I am guessing it was reseating Card 1 card since it did not record any images from the shoot.

I was out shooting again this morning and had no problems.

Eric Bowles

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Mon 09-Sep-13 12:56 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 1

Simcoe, CA

Just last week I experienced the exact same situation that began as suddenly as it stopped malfunctioning and everything is fine now. But just as a precaution, thinking there was some dirty contact problem, I began proceedings to ship the camera to Nikon office for cleaning. When I read this post, I stopped sending the camera away for troubleshooting and cleaning.

My problem:

I shut off the camera and remarked that it still looked like it was on with the top LCD fully illuminated as if it was on, showing no card in slot one when in fact, there were two good cards in slots. I repeatedly flipped the on/off switch and it still misbehaved. I then removed and replaced the battery, and it still was showing on, as above, when in fact it was switched off.

I then swapped the cards between the slots with the switch off (LCD is on!!) and still no change, #1 slot not appearing, just #2.

I then switched the camera off again and then on and everything was operating normally, with slots #1 and #2 showing and the LCD on and when I switched off again, the LCD wend off like normal.

GO FIGURE??

I didn't any reformatting during this time, so I don't think it was a formatting issue. I'll wait until it happens again before I send it away this time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tcerul Basic MemberSat 16-Feb-13 05:13 PM
422 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 0

Hardy, US

I experienced the same problem. Top LCD on but camera was in reality off, nothing worked. I then noticed that the top LCD was indicating that the second memory card was highlighted although I was positive card #1 was empty. Could not access card one in the camera. Put card #1 in my card reader and formatted it in the computer then put it in the camera and it did recognize the card. Reformatted in the camera and no problems since. One shot problem. I'm assuming the card somehow became corrupted but the formatting in the computer somehow solved the problem.

Tom
From Beautiful Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 06:31 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 2

Cairo, EG

In Lynda videos for the D7000, the instructor highly recommended format the card AFTER copying the photos to the camera.

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Thu 21-Feb-13 06:09 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Am I getting this righ?? Is it actually ment to go off then...When my camera is off it always shows the amount of pictures and the cards slots in use? Should this be the case? Thanks in advance

Regards

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 21-Feb-13 11:54 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

When it is off the card slots icon and number of possible frames for the card will show.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 06:37 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

no, the display shows focus mode, shutter speed etc.

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Thu 21-Feb-13 07:09 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

Sorry. I think I made that a bit misleading my comment...The display shows all the information when the camera is switched on and you are using it but what about when you switch it off. Does it show anything or also go off? Becasue that might draw a little bit from the battery. Is there a setting for this?

Regards

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 21-Feb-13 07:17 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 Top LCD not turning off"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

you may simulate this fault by putting a micro SD in an adapter loosely...

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 10-Aug-13 10:29 PM
#22. "SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

SD cards has limited number of writes, each time you format it, it takes a life away. Flash memory works best fragmented, by formatting them just merely change the table contents do not gain much.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 11-Aug-13 12:56 AM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 22

US

>SD cards has limited number of writes, each time you format
>it, it takes a life away.

What, exactly, in technical terms, does this statement mean? If I've taken a life away, can you explain the rebirthing process?

Just kidding, but trying to make a point. The industry accepted figure of a 10 year lifespan for SD cards includes regular formatting. Unless you can somehow quantify your statement "take a life away", I don't think it's worth worrying about.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 11-Aug-13 08:12 AM
28730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 22

Paignton, GB

>SD cards has limited number of writes, each time you format
>it, it takes a life away. Flash memory works best fragmented...

It would be good to see something to back up these statements

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Thu 05-Sep-13 09:36 PM
#25. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 24

GB

If you check out the Flash memory structure and usage on Google search results, electronic engineers will reveal the truth...

Flash memory works best with fragmented cells, the more writes (to defragment them), the more damage it gets.

The page file for the records of bad memory cells can keep up with speed for access memory cells.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 05-Sep-13 09:47 PM
28730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 25

Paignton, GB

An actual link to some evidence would be good...

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 06-Sep-13 09:19 PM
#27. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 26
Fri 06-Sep-13 09:39 PM by hyphotographer

GB

If you search for an article about FLASH memory from The IET (Institution of Engineering and Technology), you will get really useful information about your SD cards. I read it on a journal published by them a long time ago.

I found this on their website, which requires registration (free) and it mentioned the case of formatting your SD card ...

http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2012/09/solid-state-of-the-art.cfm

"It has a lot to do with how efficient the wear-levelling is and the write-amplification, which is how much NAND is actually written to." Write amplification occurs because Flash can only be erased in pages, so if you need to update a file, you may first have to move current data to a new page, erase the old page and then write the updated file all over again.

Wear-levelling is the process of evenly distributing usage across the chip, and it is needed because the way Flash works means that each cell can only stand a certain number of erase cycles before it begins to become unreliable. So the controller must not only re-map bad blocks, it must keep track of empty pages, pre-emptively erase stale pages for re-use once it starts to run out of new ones, and avoid creating usage hot-spots. Incidentally, when you rewrite a page, time and power are saved by not erasing the original immediately; instead it is marked 'stale', and the data written to a new page. This perforce creates opportunities for data filchers and forensic analysts alike.

All this, and Flash's lack of mechanical latency, will make it seem very odd stuff to anyone or anything that expects spinning disk - including operating systems and applications. For example, says Kaneshiro: "You don't need defragmentation or write optimisation - the drive actually works better fragmented! If you defrag, you are messing with the wear-levelling."

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Fri 06-Sep-13 10:05 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 27

US

You do realize that this article is about SSD drives, which are not the same as SD Cards? The article even makes it painfully clear that within SSD drives, there are different engineering parameters for different applications (consumer v. enterprise v. heavy-duty 24x7 i/o intensive applications)?

Again - what data do you have specfically relating to your claim about SD Cards?

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 07-Sep-13 09:21 PM
#29. "SSD and SD"
In response to Reply # 28

GB

To my knowledge, SSD is solid state drive, made of semiconductors instead of magnetic discs.

SD card is Secure Digital, using semiconductors too...

Let us check out how SD card work first...

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 08-Sep-13 06:50 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 27
Sun 08-Sep-13 07:05 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Wear leveling is a concept used in SD cards but they conveniently failed to mention that stress testing reveals cell durability in the millions of cycles. You will wear out ten cameras trying to write millions of cells with your camera. Using an SD card as storage for an operating system where there are thousands of random accesses in seconds is another issue but it is not how cameras use memory.
The article is referring to random access which does give uneven wear rates but a camera is more methodical writing to large blocks at a time, sequentially. You are reading way too much into this and it application to cameras.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sun 08-Sep-13 08:21 AM
#32. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 30

GB

Thanks for that.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 14-Sep-13 06:43 PM
#34. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 32
Sat 14-Sep-13 06:46 PM by hyphotographer

GB

The main point is to avoid excessive write to Flash memory, in order to keep them working a bit longer.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 14-Sep-13 07:14 PM
#35. "RE: SD card usage"
In response to Reply # 34

Paignton, GB

>The main point is to avoid excessive write to Flash memory,
>in order to keep them working a bit longer.

As Stan says, this is really not anything to worry about with normal photographic usage. Can we move on now, please?

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

technicalganesh Registered since 12th Feb 2013Fri 22-Feb-13 03:28 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 0

IN

Hi
Greetings!

Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera while not using it?

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 10:33 AM
#10. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Only if you do not want to use it for more than a month.

After six months, you need to set the date and time again, read the manual.

Try using a Meike AA battery grip if you use it a lot, visit the forum on D7000 battery grip.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 10:35 AM
#11. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

Open and shutting the lid of battery compartment too much could cause damage and collecting dust too.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 10:58 AM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Wethersfield, US

>Open and shutting the lid of battery compartment too much
>could cause damage and collecting dust too.

While that's probably true, it's pretty unlikely. The forums don't reveal many (any?) reports of failures from overuse of the battery door. I have cameras whose battery door has been opened on an almost daily basis for years with no ill effects. It's not something I would even consider when deciding how to manage my batteries.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sat 23-Feb-13 03:11 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 12

Cairo, EG

>>Open and shutting the lid of battery compartment too
>much
>>could cause damage and collecting dust too.
>
>While that's probably true, it's pretty unlikely. The forums
>don't reveal many (any?) reports of failures from overuse of
>the battery door. I have cameras whose battery door has been
>opened on an almost daily basis for years with no ill effects.
>It's not something I would even consider when deciding how to
>manage my batteries.
>
Totally agree with that.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 23-Feb-13 11:51 AM
#14. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

>Open and shutting the lid of battery compartment too much
>could cause damage and collecting dust too.

That is certainly not something I would worry about

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 23-Feb-13 11:09 AM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 9

Wethersfield, US

Alkaline cells (AA batteries and the like) are susceptible to leakage, which is why manufacturers recommend leaving them out of the device when not in use. That doesn't apply to the Li-ion batteries used in Nikon DSLRs. I've never heard of one leaking.

But you probably should remove it once a month or so just to recharge the battery. The battery discharges slightly while in the camera both by self-discharge and because the camera is taking a very small amount of energy from the battery. In extreme cases, leaving the battery discharged may shorten battery life.

That said, I've left my EN-EL3 battery in my D70 for months on end without recharging it, and it's still working, almost nine years after I bought it.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 04:59 PM
#16. "RE: Is it better to keep the battery out of the camera?"
In response to Reply # 13

GB

>Alkaline cells (AA batteries and the like) are susceptible to
>leakage,

Use NiMH cells then, please, or Lithium cells.

Although Li cells seldom leak, I have seen a bulging cellphone Li-ion battery, pushing the compart lid outwards.

In case of a Nikon, it could crack the plastic wall, so take the battery out if you plan to store you camera away, following the instruction manual.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 05:04 PM
#17. "Never discharge Li-ion battery completely"
In response to Reply # 16

GB

A radio controlled helicopter instruction manual recommends not to leave Lithium ion battery discharge completely as it could damage the battery.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 04:02 PM
#18. "Burnt Lithium battery"
In response to Reply # 16
Sun 24-Feb-13 04:17 PM by hyphotographer

GB

Lithium battery could burn and cause damage. Boeing DC-10 or 787
had some issues with their Lithium battery and crashed, causing hundreds of casualties, leading to order from FAA to ground all aircrafts of the same model.

You may want to read:

http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-17/the-787-and-the-dc-10-a-history-of-two-troubled-jets

Nikon may know the issues of managing Lithium batteries. However, in 2012, they recalled some batches of Li batteries because of risks related to excessive heat.

The report on this website:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/11/nikon-d800-d7000-battery-recall/

mentioned about 'burn hazard' of batteries for D800 and D7000
because of manufacturing faults.

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 02-Aug-13 03:37 PM
#19. "RE: Burnt Lithium battery"
In response to Reply # 18

GB

Has anyone out there bought some D7000 batteries from third party manufacturers, that is not branded Nikon? What are your opinion on them?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 02-Aug-13 05:34 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Burnt Lithium battery"
In response to Reply # 19
Fri 02-Aug-13 05:35 PM by elec164

US

I recently purchased a Promaster EN-EL15 (which I believe are rebadged Delkin's) and so far experience no issues and similar performance to Nikon brand.

Before that I used Promaster battery for my D80 which actually had a higher amp/hr rating then the Nikon with no issues. In fact the step-granddaughter is still using the Promaster battery some 7years later with the D80 I handed down to her.

You'll here a number of people caution against anything but a Nikon battery. Personally I have had no issue with the Promaster's, but I would be hesitant to order any unbranded batteries off of e-bay, for those are the ones you generally hear horror stories about.

Pete

Pete

hyphotographer Registered since 19th Mar 2012Fri 02-Aug-13 06:19 PM
#21. "RE: Burnt Lithium battery"
In response to Reply # 20

GB

Very glad with your contribution, thanks Pete.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 08-Sep-13 07:01 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Burnt Lithium battery"
In response to Reply # 18
Sun 08-Sep-13 07:06 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

You know of course that every rechargeable Lithium battery has a circuit to disconnect the terminals when the charge lowers to about 10% due to the problem of polarity reversal if discharged fully.

We all know the battery recall a couple years ago, which involved an isolated batch of improperly manufactured batteries. They replaced them for anyone who had the battery lot number. There was a possible problem but in fact it did not materialize.

Posting out of context Google search results does not further any of these topics, you have made a number of misleading comments based I assume from not having direct experience with these topics. Google can be a source of as much misleading data as encountered anywhere when the overall subject is not understood and context is ignored.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #24019 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.