Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23991
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF Fine Tune & D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
brunohornbeck Registered since 29th Jan 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 09:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF Fine Tune & D7000"

US

Based on input from the members of this forum I recently replaced a D70 with a D7000 and I'm quite happy. In working with the 18-70 lens from the D70 kit on the D7000 I found a need to fine tune the auto focus on that lens. Using the lens at about 45 mm, spot focus, a tripod, flash because of weather and the need to work inside, and trial and error it appears that a -5 correction was needed.

I never found a reason to be concerned with the D70 & this lens, but I guess the additional resolution of the D7000 brought out the problem. It took the better part of a week to narrow the problem down by eliminating a uv filter used for lens protection, noise and other pixel peeping concerns under 100% view in Nikon Capture NX2, lens shake blamed on an aging photographer, and a series of other concerns didn't make sense but seemed reasonable.

Is that correction likely to suffice throughout the zoom range and various appertures on the lens? If not, now what??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000
billD80 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
brunohornbeck
14th Feb 2013
billD80 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks
brunohornbeck
17th Feb 2013
hnagy
18th Feb 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
18th Feb 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
18th Feb 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
TheDraftsman
18th Feb 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 11:31 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I never found a reason to be concerned with the D70 & this
>lens, but I guess the additional resolution of the D7000
>brought out the problem.

That aspect is important to keep in mind. 100% enlargement on your PC likely translates into an absolutely enormous print on paper.

So, even if the focus varies a bit through the zoom range, it's unlikely to be noticeable. If it wasn't seen before on prints you made, it won't be now.

Also, unless you shoot wide-open all the time, the variation in focus tolerance may disappear altogether (even if it is actually there).

You've gone from 6.1 to 16mp, so at 100%, lots of things may become apparent that were no issue before...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

brunohornbeck Registered since 29th Jan 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 11:59 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Actually prints are what convinced me there was a problem. I shot a series of pictures at a church function & I just couldn't get the raw files to be as crisp as what I
used to get with the D70. I spent a week ruling out various problems & finally decided to get a couple of prints to see if I was imagining the problem. The prints confirmed that something wasn't quite right.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 12:50 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Actually prints are what convinced me there was a problem. I
>shot a series of pictures at a church function & I just
>couldn't get the raw files to be as crisp as what I
>used to get with the D70. I spent a week ruling out various
>problems & finally decided to get a couple of prints to
>see if I was imagining the problem. The prints confirmed that
>something wasn't quite right.

If prints convinced you there was a problem, then I'd ask was size the prints were... If they were, 8x12, and you saw something, then there must be a BIG problem.

Can you post a problematic image?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 15-Feb-13 05:05 PM
6092 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Aperture setting shouldn't matter.

While the -5 may not be exact at other focal lengths, chances are good that it will be quite close. The zoom lenses I've calibrated on my D7000 were all pretty close at both ends of their range when I set the AF fine tune using a focal length in the middle of the range. I don't have any really wide-range lenses (e.g., 18-200), so those may be more problematic. But my 18-70 and my 24-70 f/2.8 seem both seem pretty close after calibration (-8 in my case).

Here's a procedure that makes it easy to check the AF fine tune value:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50774257

If you verify that procedure at your calibrated focal length of 45mm, then at each end of the lens' focal length range, you'll probably be able to put your mind at ease.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 16-Feb-13 08:59 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Post processing methods will have a big impact on apparent sharpness. Assuming the -5 captures the sharpness of focus you were expecting, it will probably be ok for other focal ranges as well.
It must be noted that Nikon had default sharpening of D70 higher than cameras beginning with the D90 which required boosting sharpness for JPG images which means that additional sharpening is also needed in rendering RAW files. Any sharpening set in your Picture Controls will be seen in the rendering when using Capture NX2 but not with other brands of editing software.
If you are satisfied that the subject is in focus with your -5 adjustment, adjusting the sharpness and contrast from the default settings will make the images sharper and more dramatic in the prints.
Re-sizing the image for print also impacts the apparent detail and resolution depending on settings on during the resampling process to convert large files to smaller prints. When given the choice of sampling select Bicubic.
If you post an image we might be able to give specific suggestions or experiment with the image ourselves to improve the print appearance.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

brunohornbeck Registered since 29th Jan 2013Sun 17-Feb-13 06:00 PM
#7. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks"
In response to Reply # 6

US

It does appear that the correction applied is effective enough at other focal lengths. It also appears to be a lens problem since my 70-300 does not appear to need correction. I take that to mean that the problem is not in the camera body. I filtered out most of the variables (post processing, etc) by mounting the camera on a tripod, shooting at various focal lengths while focusing on carefully selected spots, and then viewing in Capture at 100% without modifying settings or resizing from shot to shot. While it would appear that the correction was small the difference in the pictures was apparent. Being a noob I am not familiar with posting pictures so I haven't tried to tackle that too, at least for the time being.

Your suggestions and comments were both helpful and appreciated.

Now I can return to determining how to set the camera up in general.

"I'm not too bright, but I make up for it by being stubborn."

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Mon 18-Feb-13 06:37 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks"
In response to Reply # 7

Cairo, EG

Yes, how can we post a picture to Let the rest judge it here?

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 08:29 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks"
In response to Reply # 8

HIXSON, US

Reply to some post on here, this one if you wish. There is the big box that you type in. Just below that is a thinner box with an orange link to click on to "Click here to choose your attachments"

Follow the instructions (Pay attention to the restricted size) click on close window. Then it's a good idea to preview before posting.

BTW, this comes straight out of the camera just modified for size.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 08:39 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks"
In response to Reply # 10

HIXSON, US

Does that mean it isn't a 100% crop?

Charlie

If I understand what a very patient Nikonian tried to tell me, that is correct.

And, just to be clear this isn't from a Nikon either. I found it yesterday in an old camera that hasn't been touched since one junk photo in 2009. This one was taken in 2007. The EVF wasn't working, but everything else did. The on camera clock was right on, even though the battery was way dead.

Just wanted one to upload so that I was sure to explain correctly how to upload a photo.

Charlie

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Tue 19-Feb-13 05:00 AM
#12. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000 - Thanks"
In response to Reply # 11

HIXSON, US

Just slid the proper control & Voila! The EVF is working.

TheDraftsman Registered since 20th Jan 2011Mon 18-Feb-13 02:01 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: AF Fine Tune & D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Feb-13 02:01 PM by TheDraftsman

middlesex, US

You are not going to get the sharp photos you want with the D7000 and
that kit lens inside a church. Been there. You need faster shutter
speeds with the D7000. And Nikon isn't big on advice for fine tuning
zoom lenses. Uping your shutter speed does more that what you think
you are seeing fidding around with fine tuning a zoom.

Visit Current D90 Set-up.

http://fototime.com/{04CF383D-D221-4184-A88C-5F1B6AFC4AE4}/origpict/proudownerfinal.png

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23991 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.