Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23929
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery or battery grip" Previous topic | Next topic
Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 12:11 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery or battery grip"

US

I will be shooting alot of pics at an event that I'm attending in the next few weeks. Would I be better served buying an additional battery or should I go with a battery grip? Is there any real value difference between a Nikon MB-D11 or a comparable one made by Vello?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery or battery grip
four eighty sparky Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
Ray P
12th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
12th Feb 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
Omaha
14th Feb 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 12-Feb-13 12:42 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A spare battery for sure.

The grip will give you better control and will ultimately feel more natural, especially when shooting in portrait orientation. And having a second battery in it will allow you to shoot non-stop.

Obviously, the Nikon grip will be the best quality. All the aftermarket copies generally have a few issues. Most notably, the battery latch tab breaks off far too easily, as well as the command dials may operate 'in reverse'. Another issue that's common is the grip and body tend to 'rock' in relationship to each other.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Tue 12-Feb-13 03:15 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 1

Camberley, GB

>> Would I be better served buying an additional battery or should I go with a battery grip?

I'm not 100% sure what your concern is here. If the concern is that you will take so many shots that you will exhaust the capacity of the one battery you have then the answer must be that you need to buy another battery.

If you buy just a battery grip you will still only have the capacity of one battery although you will have the possibility of using AA batteries.

As to the grips themselves. I have a Meike and so far I am very pleased with it. It has transformed the handling and the command dials work the same as on the main body. It seems solid and of reasonable build quality. I'd already seen the comments about the battery latch tab and so I'm pretty careful in how I handle that.
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Ray P Registered since 07th Jul 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 03:54 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The cost of a new battery is around $69 from B&h, which would give me the extra power I would need. The cost of a battery grip, (non Nikon) from B&h is about $69 and with the addition of AA batteries I would have the same ability. I guess my question would be, does the grip offer more advantages with extra control functions to make that the better choice? Thanks again for everyones input on this matter.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 12-Feb-13 04:35 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

The D7000 is very modest in current demands so you might be surprised how many shots you can get on one battery. When shooting events I get 3 times the shots with the D7000 than my D800.
A grip increases camera stability so lower shutter speeds are tolerable in low light. Also allows vertical shots to be just as low speed as horizontal, 1 stop advantage.
It also lowers arm and hand fatigue during long sessions.
All my cameras have aftermarket grips and they have all been great additions and perfectly reliable. In fact they all show less wear and tear than my Nikon bodies. My D90 has 90,000 gripped shots, mostly events, and the grip rubber looks twice a good. My D800 Pixel grip feels better than the camera grip since it seems to have a thicker higher grade of rubber on all surfaces.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 11:12 PM
753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Stan is really the expert on this subject. Look back on the forum 1 week for the thread titled "Why get a battery pack."

Most people who have them don't claim cite needing more battery power. You EN EL 15 battery in the camera will allow for about one thousand exposures.

To save money, I bought the Pixel grip from Amazon.com. Cost was higher than the brands mentioned earlier. About $85.

For the first few weeks, I was worried. Batteries were losing their charge just sitting. Both AAs and EN EL. I think the electrical contacts probably needed cleaning, because now that I've put the grip on and off the camera about a dozen times, everything is working well.

Look for that thread.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 14-Feb-13 12:08 AM
523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Battery or battery grip"
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

I bought a "Genuine Nikon" grip.

Sometimes I wonder why....why not just buy a cheapo, that is.

On my Genuine Nikon grip, the rubber started coming off (no big deal, really) AND the "joystick" thing broke within the first eight months, rendering it unusable. Nikon fixed it under warranty, of course, but it was still a headache having to send it in for repair.

Actually, I really don't like the joystick thing. I hate the way moving the focus point is different from the way the regular control on the camera works. Anything that makes you think about the camera is a distraction.

There are a lot of convincing knock-offs out there, some of which are fraudulently labeled as "Nikon". I wondered for some time if that was what I had. It was only after Nikon serviced mine without complaint that I was convinced it was genuine. Which was also disappointing.

Anyway, back to the question. I really like having a grip. Sure, it makes handling the camera easier, but for me the big reason is that it conveys a more "serious" appearance to those around you. That's not just vanity/ego talking. I've been in numerous real-world situations where I got shots I wouldn't have otherwise because people were either willing to pose for me, or because other picture-takers deferred to me. I attribute a lot of that to having a serious-looking camera.

When you are in a group function, everyone will be there taking shots with their iPhones or point-and-click cameras. Show up with a gripped SLR (maybe with a Speedlight on top), and you automatically differentiate yourself.

Battery life? I've never been in a situation where I came remotely close to draining a fully charged battery in a single session. I've done shoots of well over 700 shots and its just not an issue. YMMV.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23929 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.