Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23874
View in linear mode

Subject: "upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
suitusir Registered since 09th Feb 2013Sat 09-Feb-13 06:49 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"

GB

Hi there,

I have been sat on the fence about upgrading my existing camera to a d7000. A bit of a background story, I wanted to get into photography but was concerned that if I bought a d-slr I would not use it. I came to this conclusion due to the size and complexity of the camera. Because of this I bought a Panasonic G3. I also bought a F1.7 pancake lense as I primarily was going to take portrait/family shots and it got a good review. I have really enjoyed using this camera but feel I want to step up to a true D-SLR. I have discounted the 3200/5200 as I want to really go further than a starter D-SLR. Also I know the d7000 replacement is not a million miles away but I generally dont buy tech when it released unless it is a serious improvement.

So after all that my question is fairly simple. My budget just about stretches to a D7000 body and possibly 2 lenses, am I going to see a marked improvement in picture from a modern 4/3rd camera to a mid range D-SLR?

I know that there is many factors like settings and actual photographic skill but on a technical level if someone could give me any ideas/pointers constructive criticism I would be much appreciated.

On a side note, I have been seriously bitten by the photography bug, I am taking a course in a months time so would like to get the camera before then.

Regards

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000
dm1dave Administrator
10th Feb 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
suitusir
10th Feb 2013
Floridian Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
suitusir
10th Feb 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 10-Feb-13 01:25 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi David,

Welcome to Nikonians!

I can’t be sure if you will see an improvement in picture quility right away by moving up to a DSLR. You will however see an improvement as you learn and build your skills.

The D7000 is great for someone who wants a camera that they can grow into. It still has scene modes and automatic features that you can use right away. Then you can slowly start to incorporate advanced features as you master the fundamentals.

In the end the D7000 will allow you to take full control of your photography.

Nikonians is a great resource for anyone shooting a Nikon camera. A membership here gives you access to a large group of experienced and professional photographers who are to help you master the craft of photography.

We are a friendly community of active photographers. We are all here to share our experience and learn from one another.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 10-Feb-13 03:17 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

You've made a great choice. The D7000 has established itself as a camera capable of high quality photography. It will take a bit of learning and experience to master so don't get discouraged. The end result is worth the effort.

Leave room in your budget for a 3rd party guide to the D7000 since the Nikon manual is a bit dry and unintuitive. I personally like the Thom Hogan Complete Guide to the D7000, but there are several that are very good. Get to know the menus and where some of the important settings are. Also get to know what the various controls on the camera body do. Nikon has a great Digitutor for the D7000. Here's the link,

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d7000/index.html

Join a local camera club or organization. They're great for learning and also provide opportunities to shoot with others.

Think of your bad photos as learning opportunities. Look at the EXIF data and try to understand what went wrong. A great way to learn.

Practice. You'll become better, faster if you shoot more often.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

suitusir Registered since 09th Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 03:34 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Morning Guys,

Thanks for replies much appreciated. It is a shame Jessops has closed in the UK, I have never held the camera so can not relate it to my 4/3rd camera in terms of size. I think I am going to bite the bullet and order the body and have a look at some lenses. I don't really need a zoom lens, so whilst this has gone off at a tangent what lens do you use?

Thanks again

David

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 05:38 PM
2707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...I have never held the camera so can not
>relate it to my 4/3rd camera in terms of size...

Check this out:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#7,185

suitusir Registered since 09th Feb 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 06:45 PM
#5. "RE: upgrading from a Panny G3 to D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Floridian thanks for that, that is one cool website!! I guess off that its not that much bigger and that I would get used to increase once I started shooting.

Regards

David

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23874 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.