Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23838
View in linear mode

Subject: "I'm trying to decide - convince me!" Previous topic | Next topic
meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 03:38 AM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
Fri 08-Feb-13 03:43 AM by meohman1

Luling, US

I might be having reverse NAS.

I have a Nikon D7000 w/battery grip and 2 each 32gb SD cards and several very good DX lenses - Nikon 10.5mm DX fisheye, Tokina 11-17mm DX zoom, Nikon 18-200mm VR Zoom, and Nikon 70-300 VR zoom.

I also have a Nikon D700 w/battery grip and a 64gb CF card and the Nikon 14-24mm, the Nikon 24-70mm, and the Nikon 70-200mm, and the above mentioned Nikon 70-300mm VR lens.

I live about 30 miles from Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I am going to shoot Mardi Gras day in the French Quarter.

Which rig do I tote?

The D7000 will shoot video, is lighter and smaller, and the DX lenses I have are lighter and smaller and shoot good quality and I have the range from 10.5mm to 300mm (DX) covered.

The D700 is the D700 - it is big and heavy, but it is the D700, and I have the holy trinity of lenses with the option of swapping out the 70-200 for the more compact 70-300

I plan to shoot all day. Last time I shot Mardi Gras day in the French Quarter, I had the D80 with the 18-200 VR DX in 2007, and that is all I brought. All I shot then was JPEG. I will shoot RAW (NEF) this year.

More info - I will be walking all day, all over the Quarter, with several trips to a balcony on Royal Street. I have several bags, so that is not a problem.

Opinions are welcome - which rig would you carry?

Mike

Photography by Mike - My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
km6xz Moderator
08th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
Floridian Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
meohman1 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Feb 2013

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 03:58 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 08-Feb-13 03:59 AM by ShrimpBoy

Brighton and Hove, GB

Why not both bodies?

D7000/10.5 and D700/24-70, or D7000/18-200 and D700/14-24, for example. No lens swapping, just grab the other body. The latter pair would cover pretty much any situation.

You did say you have several bags which implies a willingness to haul gear.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 12:35 AM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 1

Luling, US

I'll carry one bag - but I'm thinking the D7000 w/18-200 might be best, and carry the 10.5 in a jacket pocket.

Thanks,

Mike

>Why not both bodies?
>
>D7000/10.5 and D700/24-70, or D7000/18-200 and D700/14-24, for
>example. No lens swapping, just grab the other body. The
>latter pair would cover pretty much any situation.
>
>You did say you have several bags which implies a willingness
>to haul gear.

Mike

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 12:28 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

It’s been a while since my last Mardi Gras. But I do remember a serious crush of bodies, and the fact that it was a real pick-pocket heaven. If I was headed back, I’d go minimalist and just take the D7000 and the 18-200mm lens. That should cover you from the parade to the Bourbon St night scene. Maybe take the 11-17mm if you think you’ll do some indoor shots, but it’s awful hard to get indoors around the Quarter on that particular day!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 12:41 AM
#7. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 2

Luling, US

We have friends who live in the lower French Quarter. We will also have access to a balcony on Royal Street and St. Peter, right around the corner from Pat O'Briens. The 70-300 might work nice up there!

Thanks,

Mike

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 08-Feb-13 01:18 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Why are you shooting the festivities? By that I mean, is it for publication, memories( I remember nothing after a 4 hours into it, except a crazy girl from Texas....but that is another story), or for art purposes alone.

Shooting outdoors negates any low light advantage for the d700 and in fact the base ISO noise is lower for the D7000. So it probably comes down to any expectations by a client or your own comfort.
If shooting was the purpose, instead of participating, I would take both with a 14-24 or 24-70 on the D700 and 70-200 on the D7000. With the right carrier such as the double sling strap from Black Rapid would sure ease the concerns of weight. I shoot events all the time that are 8 or nore hours and carry a D800 with SB900, grip and 70-200 or 24-70 mounted and if I take the D7000, it gets the 70-200, a second SB900 and grip and the 24-70 or 85 1.4 and a flash and grip mounted on the D800. No other bag is needed, extra batteries, cards and cell phone placed in the pockets of the Black Rapid straps.
If you do not use such weigh reducing straps, I would go with the D700 and two lenses that would cover wide and longer. Image quality will not be visibly different except possibly to a photo-editor.
A bag is not good for crowds since there is no security, you can be picked without you even knowing it. If you can't keep the camera in contact with you at all times, attached to you, don't take any camera except a point and shoot or cell phone. It is a meca for sneak thieves who travel to large events where there are a lot of visitors who tend to be less aware of their surroundings.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 12:39 AM
#6. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 3

Luling, US

Shooting just for fun and personal memories. I live 30 miles from Bourbon Street, and I don't always go into the Quarter on Mardi Gras Day. We are hearing now it will probably be raining all day, so that might make me change my mind and go next year.

I was in the French Quarter last Saturday, the day before the Superbowl, and the weather was beautiful. For a good portion of the day I wore a tee shirt and toted the D700 with the 24-70.

I'm leaning more toward the D7000 for Fat Tuesday if we go.

Thanks,

Mike

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 07:27 PM
2707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>... I will be walking all day, all over the Quarter,
>with several trips to a balcony on Royal Street...
>
>... which rig would you carry?

Me? I'd take only the D7000 and 18-200. Go light. Stay mobile. No lens changes, and lots of flexibility with the 18-200.

Randy

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 12:42 AM
#8. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 4

Luling, US

I think you might be right. But it looks like it may be a very rainy day on Fat Tuesday.

Thanks,

Mike

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 02:53 AM
#9. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Luling, US

I went back and looked at my pics of Fat Tuesday from 2007 with the D80 and the 18-200 VR - most of my shots were between 18mm and 80mm with a few beyond 80mm.

I'm going with the D7000 and the 18-200 with the SB-400 flash on top, and stash the 10.5 for crazy fisheye stuff in my jacket pocket.

I'll shoot NEF and JPG and it will be fine for what I want to do. I have the battery grip and 2 batteries for the D7000 and 64 gigs of card space - Rock & Roll. The SB-400 will work well inside and after dark!

Thanks.

Mike

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sun 10-Feb-13 02:00 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

Mike:
Just a thought, and something you may already know. For some great N’Awlins shots, head there on Halloween. It’s sort of like Mardi Gras for the townies. There are no floats or Krewes, but you won’t miss them. There are lots of people in costumes, and bands roaming up and down the streets; it’s very relaxed and not at all crowded. What really struck me was the difference in the police. For Mardi Gras, I saw cops on Bourbon St carrying hand-loads of manacles and putting them to use. During Halloween, the cops would be ambling along, getting into the music, not too worried about anything. If you haven’t been before, I can highly recommend it!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 10:22 PM
#11. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 10

Luling, US

Yep - Halloween in the Quarter is crazy. I haven't been, but I've seen pics and news reports.

Yesterday (Saturday), I had a chance to go down the Convention Center in New Orleans with a friend of mine who rides in Bacchus. The Bacchus floats were being loaded for tonight's ride, and I was able to walk around and take pictures of the floats. That was a fun shoot and I was lucky to have that opportunity. I shot with the D700, SB-400, and the 14-24mm lens.

By the way, if you don't already own the little Nikon SB-400 flash, get one as soon as you can - it is a terrific little unit and has a tilting head for bounce and it uses 2 AA batteries and recycles quickly. I hardly take it off of the camera, and I have the SB-600 and SB-800.

Mike

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 11-Feb-13 01:27 AM
#12. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 11

Luling, US

Here's one of the pictures from the Bacchus shoot yesterday:

Mike

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

meohman1 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 05:34 AM
#13. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 0

Luling, US

I took the D7000 with a battery grip w/2 batteries and 2 each 16gb SD cards and the 18-200mm VR and the 10.5 mm Fisheye and the SB-400 flash. It worked great, and it was not heavy. I shot a video and I shot almost 400 pictures. Here's a shot from a balcony on Royal Street in the French Quarter on Mardi Gras Day 2013.

Check out the video I took with this D7000 here: http://youtu.be/UcebBXpTJiE

Mike

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 04:17 AM
4170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: I'm trying to decide - convince me!"
In response to Reply # 13

Alberta, CA

I enjoyed the video Mike, gives you a real feel for the action.

I'd chop out the out of focus sequence, but other than that, very interesting!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23838 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.