Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23768
View in linear mode

Subject: "nikon d 7000 at Overstock" Previous topic | Next topic
wcm2831 Registered since 18th Nov 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 03:47 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"nikon d 7000 at Overstock"

US

I am wondering if any one has bought a camera from Overstock.com ? They list the D7000 at $719.00 which is about $200 less than anyone else. Seems like there must be a catch somewhere?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock
sfbillm Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
06th Feb 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
wcm2831
06th Feb 2013
SweetMK
07th Feb 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
02nd Jan 2014
oneeyedphoto Gold Member
07th Feb 2013
wcm2831
07th Feb 2013
pimadude Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
kgmack1
11th Mar 2013
musical Silver Member
02nd Jan 2014
km6xz Moderator
02nd Jan 2014
BillS52 Silver Member
04th Jan 2014
musical Silver Member
04th Jan 2014
km6xz Moderator
04th Jan 2014
LightMeter Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
Captain Rich Silver Member
05th Jan 2014
LightMeter Silver Member
06th Jan 2014
mhiker Silver Member
07th Jan 2014

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Wed 06-Feb-13 04:42 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 06-Feb-13 04:43 PM by sfbillm

Santa Fe, US

1. Is it an official Nikon USA import or grey market? If the latter, Nikon USA will not honor the warranty (even a so-called 'international' one) and will not service or repair the camera.

2. Even if official USA, is Overstock an authorized Nikon dealer by Nikon USA. (You can find a list of authorized dealers on the Nikon USA Web site.) I'm not sure if, for the warranty to be valid, you have to buy from an authorized dealer. Others here can address that.

3. If 1. and 2. are O.K., the next thing to check is whether the camera ships with everything that Nikon supplies with the body, or whether it is literally 'body only' - i.e., no battery, strap, charger, etc., all of which they would then charge extra for. You can check B&H to see what's normally included in the box.

SantaFeBill

"My photos were more interesting before I learned the rules."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 06-Feb-13 05:23 PM
5590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Check the description carefully and look into the warranty, but Overstock.com is a pretty reliable retailer. I have bought other items, not camera equipment, from them in the past with no problem.

With all of the fallout in the bricks and mortar stores, it's no wonder that this stuff is showing up at places that buy out inventory. Some places may also be clearing out excess stock after the holidays.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 05:48 PM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 0

Geneva, US

A phantom listing? I just put "Nikon D7000" into Overstock's search box and got back 14 items, none of which is the camera itself. This is just about two hours after the original post...

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

wcm2831 Registered since 18th Nov 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 06:22 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I meant to type in Overstockdigital.com

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 12:22 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I meant to type in Overstockdigital.com
If I really wanted one, I would drive over to their store and pick one up.

You get to see the White House at the same time!!

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 02-Jan-14 02:22 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

>>I meant to type in Overstockdigital.com
>If I really wanted one, I would drive over to their store and
>pick one up.
>
>You get to see the White House at the same time!!

So I would assume they are in the DC area. Checked their website and couldn't find an address other than for eMail. Do you have an address for them?

oneeyedphoto Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 08:12 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 0

Mildura, AU

That's a sweet price for the D7000 Bill and from the item description tab, includes everything you would normally get in a grey market kit. Best I can do here is around $790 mark, so that's a good deal if they don't charge the earth for shipping.

Lots of gear - just no idea!!

wcm2831 Registered since 18th Nov 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 01:32 PM
#7. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I did some further checking on line and there was a lot of negative comments about this group- the main complaints that after you order they make you confirm your order by talking to a sales person who tries to sell you extra stuff, warranties, etc for exuberant prices and if you do not buy these other things they tell you item is on back order etc. So just as I thought was too good to be true.

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 08:02 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 7

Tucson, US

I usually find resellerratings.com to be a reliable source of information for various on-line retailers. According to their reviews, the overstockdigital company has been fairly highly rated and is given a good "grade" for resolving problems.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/overstockdigital

I'd still be a little hesitant to purchase a Nikon D7000 at the price quoted on their website. In my opinion it's probably grey market.

Jim

kgmack1 Registered since 11th Mar 2013Mon 11-Mar-13 10:55 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Avoid Overstock Digital like the plague. I ordered a D7000 for $699 (I know it was too good to be true), got the "verification" call, at which time "John" tried to high-pressure upsell me on overpriced memory cards and replacement batteries. Toward the end of the call he asked if I wouldn't like to "upgrade" to the USA model (i.e. the actual product they advertised) with the magnesium body for $899.

If not out and out fraud, it is certainly very very shady. Check reviews on Yelp. I tried to leave a negative review on the reseller ratings site but would't you know it, the review violated one of their "rules."

And yes, as I am sure they intended, I thought they were affiliated with Overstock.

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Thu 02-Jan-14 12:31 PM
1042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 9
Thu 02-Jan-14 08:09 PM by musical

north-central, US

Hi, this thread is one year old, but I would like to chime in. I am in the middle of a bad experience with them and even felt it to be a crime, not not a bad deal, or shady or tricky, but more malicious. Since I almost imagine photography in a spiritual way and as a tool for healing, this one company has been extremely unpleasant. There is also such thing as black market, not just grey, simply as an aside.
In the end, my mom age 79 bought a camera worth $1,500 (a J serial number d600) for a final bill of: $3,400.

As lovers of cameras and lenses-- and sometimes we even joke about feeling hopelessly addicted to our camera equipment needs-- my wish is that this company would dim their virtual neon sign yesterday.
By the way, my mom suffered emotionally, too. The credit card company, which makes money on any sale from anyone, is not interested in helping. And just one more thing, it is not perfect where someone recommends them, even though that person absolutely undoubtedly is well intentioned, since I have no doubt in my mind about what they are up to at Overstock. They had my mom at her age pegged as "perfect." What they did not know is that she has duel degrees in art history and criminal justice, was a court expert witness in New York and works at the MET fulltime. They also did now know her son would care this much. We're in the middle of all this right now, Christmas, 2013.
They might have an all-plastic d800 for under $2,000 since that is what this company told me in one of our 30 conversations after my mom got the bill. Another words, they play serious games and that offended me.
If you want a real-life emotional odyssey of an experience while buying your next camera, this is the company for you. I had to learn the hard way, but at least now and feel more wise than ever before.
Sincerely and respectfully, jw

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 02-Jan-14 06:10 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 10

St Petersburg, RU

From experience and watching the evolution of on-line promotion, I recommend only buying from companies you can walk into and shake hands with the owner or one that your best friend or parent uses, any other referral is suspect now. A few years ago, user reviews were not the driving force in sales so they were not yet invaded by fake glowing reviews that has transformed marketing and user impressions of products.
Major ad agencies are switching from traditional print and broadcast promotion to web based guerrilla marketing, trying to influence public opinion and sales by spamming forums with "personal" testimonials or bashing a competing product. It is very very effective and costs a fraction of the cost of a single much less effective TV spot.
People tend to be very credulous when they think the person writing a review is a real person and is being honest. No, there is too much money at stake to not try to cheat this way.
A few years ago the web sites like ResellerRantings were very helpful until they were overtaken by fake accounts of owners and ad agencies boosting reviews and panning competitors.
In the old days your book could be a success if someone reviewed it positively and it ended up on the Time Best Seller list. But even that one is no match to what someone with a bunch of gmail accounts can do in a week on Amazon.
I read some of the "customer" reviews on ResellerRatings for this company and the wording of some of them sure sounded like the phrasing I read when I detect and uncover spamming on Trip Advisor for which I am a Destination Expert. But even when proven to be fake, the pressure for activity and commissions on such web sites now means they stay on the forums and review comments. Those sites have become so successful in commissions, ads sales and hit income that volume is all that counts and not truthful posts.
So, beware of user reviews, assume they are fake and trying to influence you. When a single positive glowing review can account for $50,000 or more in increased sales, there is a lot of incentive to game the system.
My rule of thumb is do not buy any photo gear from any place in Brooklyn, Bronx or New Jersey. Their attorney generals ignore hundreds of thousands of complaints files each year by out of state ripped off customers of placed the work just as described above. They offer something incredible low in price but require you do call their salesman who then works up the price by adding a $200 battery that was supposed to be in the box, or a $85 required strap that was also in the box and grey market but you insist on getting the deal as advertised they either charge your card for the whole inflated price or cancel the order.
Here is one of several web sites of ripped off customers who gather and track the con artists as they change names and addresses frequently. http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

I tried to get justice for a elderly relative who fell victim when she spent her entire SS check on a gift for a grand child's graduation, a camera. I really got angry and pursued it. She got a $100 camera for $687, it was used and month late, without original box and junk sold as new. I spent 10 times that trying to put them of business and finally they moved and changed names. The AG's office was useless.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 04-Jan-14 04:13 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Trust the negative comments.

I didn't on a lens deal and almost lost all my money.

Trust the Internet Reviews.
If you see negative reports, and lots of them, there's a reason.

Search "overstockdigital.com reviews"

musical Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2010Sat 04-Jan-14 06:41 PM
1042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 13

north-central, US

For us this has gone on since November 20, 2013. We now have tentative word that the investigative unit for the credit card will prevail with the bank for overstock and reverse all charges. We're talking here three thousand dollars. It was a d600 body only, grey market. It's been a painful learning experience. Then once we reverse the charge, the company will have to issue a good letter that I am happy with that they will unconditionally accept the camera back; I would not trust them otherwise. It's all like-new with their packaging right here.

If I had a time machine to go back, I would feel very comfortable buying from the for-sale list here. For someone that can almost afford new Nikon equipment, but yes it is expensive, I would recommend this site as a nice resource.
It is interesting that for most of us, photography is not merely an end point. It's not a lucky deal or one lucky picture. It is more of a process, sometimes a healing, and way of experiencing life.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 04-Jan-14 11:14 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 13

St Petersburg, RU

It is just as common for faker reviewer to bash a competitor as post glowing reports about their own business. Good or bad reviews are just as likely to be posted for personal profit.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Sun 05-Jan-14 03:55 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 05-Jan-14 04:02 AM by LightMeter

Houston, Texas, US

I was looking at Overstockdigital's site. Looks like you can get a D200 for 618usd and a D300 for $1399 or a D800 for 2099-looks fishy to me. Even if I can get something cheaper somewhere else, I usually get it at B&H anyway. That way I can be assured there will be no surprises.

Edited with the following: Just looked some more. You can get a 18-55 VR for a whopping $699-gotta get one of those at that price

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 05-Jan-14 10:25 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 16

Savannah, US

I bought a NEW (not refurb)D7000 (U.S.) from B&H last month for $699. That price is still current. I think it's a great deal!

Rich

LightMeter Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011Mon 06-Jan-14 04:01 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 17

Houston, Texas, US

>I bought a NEW (not refurb)D7000 (U.S.) from B&H last
>month for $699. That price is still current. I think it's a
>great deal!

Yes I saw that and was tempted. But I felt I would be happier with the D7100, so that's what I ordered from B&H.

Bill

**D7100** D300, N6006, N2000, N6000, N5005, black F2 Photomic, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN, and a few non Nikons

So many cameras, so little time....

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Tue 07-Jan-14 03:49 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: nikon d 7000 at Overstock"
In response to Reply # 17

Holiday, US

>I bought a NEW (not refurb)D7000 (U.S.) from B&H last
>month for $699. That price is still current. I think it's a
>great deal!
>
>Rich

Rich, I took advantage of B&H's sale price as well. I already had a D7000 and a D90 but gave the D90 to my daughter. Having two D7000's works for me.

Mike

Michael

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23768 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.