Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2376
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggestions - what to look for ?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 24-Nov-10 12:37 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suggestions - what to look for ?"

Joanna, US

Hello,

I am to pick up my camera this weekend, and with all the "issues" that have been discussed regarding the 7k, what would your suggestions be as far as what to look for? Should I take my lens and try them at the store. How about "hot pixels" - what steps to determine if these are present? Would I have to print pictures to see if there is a problem? As always, thanks for any assistance.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 26-Nov-10 03:43 AM
4088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggestions - what to look for ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Hi John,

As far as I have seen the hot pixels seem directly related to video but not to stills. You could shoot a video of a darkish background but I'm not sure if you'd detect hot pixels on the camera LCD. Personally I am hoping for a firmware fix to my hot pixels, seems like more of a software than a hardware problem, but I definitely could be wrong. For example the infamous 5Dii "black dot" problem was fixed by firmware.

I don't have any personal evidence for a systemic AF problem. I'm going serious shooting on the weekend so that's going to help me give it a good solid workout. I've been pleasantly surprised with AF performance so far.

I would be inclined to say just relax and use the camera as you normally would and see how the photos look for starters. Depending on what body you are coming from you may want to up your game - use additional shot discipline and capture optimum pixels as Thom Hogan would say.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 26-Nov-10 07:27 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Suggestions - what to look for ?"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I viewed your video of the school play and thought it was pretty cool. Good luck on your shooting this weekend and please share your findings.

John

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 26-Nov-10 04:37 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggestions - what to look for ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

There are blatant trolls out there as with 70-200 "dust" etc aiming to try to prevent people like you buying new products.
The first thing is to separate genuine problems from troll activity.
Going back to the D200 issue affecting less than 3% of the first 6 weeks production if you believed internet hype more than 75% of cameras were useless.
If there is anything that needs a firmware correction Nikon did it in 6 weeks with the D200.
The battery is a new type - so unless the shop has a demo model with charged battery you need to charge the battery before testing.
Are you getting paranoid? You can test the camera over the weekend, and in the unlikely event of a fault, arrange either an exchange or refund on Monday morning.
Digressing make sure the camera is reserved - otherwise it is unlikely to be unsold by Saturday.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 26-Nov-10 07:36 AM
#4. "RE: Suggestions - what to look for ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Joanna, US

Len,

I believe you are correct regarding "trolls" and people who try to confuse others to delight themselves can create problems. That is why a community such as Nikonians is so helpful.
I'm not paranoid but going from a D70s, which didn't have any concerns, and reading about possible problems with the 7k did peek my interest on what to look for. The camera was preordered so I will be ok. Thanks for your time and information.

John

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2376 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.