Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2374
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 First impressions" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 24-Nov-10 12:09 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 First impressions"
Wed 24-Nov-10 12:14 PM by billD80

US

So I took my D7000 to a party, then to NYC for a short outing, not too many shots overall, by some standards, but enough for me...

Here are a few quick impressions, not in ny order:

The Battery life is incredible. I haven't recharged since I opened the box, and I'm still at over 75%. This camera makes me feel safe in only carrying one battery.

The Resolution is phenomenal, such that poor technique is MORE easily noticed, BUT you'll see more detail with lenses you already thought ere sharp.

For instance, here's a horribly way over-compressed JPEG of one in NYC (shot on a small tripod, placed on a table @ 100ISO). Across the street, below center in the image (with YAHOO! in the background), are ONE WAY traffic signs. These are TINY in the overall image, but at 100% they're EASILY legible. My already very sharp Sigma 8-16mm just got sharper.

The Shutter is QUIET and SMOOTH. The shutter in my D7000 reminds me of my old Olympus OM-1. Best shutter I ever felt, like a Leica. I just use it in regular mode. But it's so well damped...

Exposures are spot on, every time, with flash and without.

The User Mode dial switch is great. Just put all your parameters in and bingo...

The Focus is FAST and Accurate. My Sigma 50/1.4 was always fast, but no it's faster, and my Sigma 150/2.8 macro (not known for speed is also more immediately responsive and accurate). I can shoot my 50/1.4 wide open with confidence.

D7000 files open up VERY quickly with NX2, though they are larger, hence some images are hard to "fit" into posts for Nikonians without very high compression (unless there's a trick I don't know about).

The Body is Light, but has real solidity. It's tight. It feels as solid as my D200 (like a little brick), but lighter. It balances really well. The controls are easily accessed, and familiar to Nikon users. I may add the battery grip, for extra bulk, but we'll see... I may not.

The 100% Viewfinder is something I love because I am an old slide shooter used to tight compositions in the camera, without cropping later on. It's big, bright and clear (though FF cameras must seem bigger).

I don't care about shooting Video with this, so I can't/won't comment on that ability.

I could go on, but I think this thing will turn out to be one of the best cameras Nikon has ever put out. I hadn't seen any advertizing on this, only reviews, especially the one by KR. I was totally blindsided because I'd been waiting for a D400 release, but I'm real glad I jumped on the D7000.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 First impressions
briantilley Moderator
24th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
24th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
24th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
24th Nov 2010
dm1dave Administrator
24th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
25th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
28th Nov 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 24-Nov-10 01:46 PM
28320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>D7000 files open up VERY quickly with NX2, though they are
>larger, hence some images are hard to "fit" into
>posts for Nikonians without very high compression (unless
>there's a trick I don't know about).

Once re-sized to 900 pixels on the longer side and saved as a jpeg, there should be no reason why a D7000 image file would be any larger than one from a fewer-MP camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 24-Nov-10 02:16 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

And to augment what Brian has said, compressibility also goes to image content.

A plain landscape with a bright evenly lit sky or an image with a predominance of a single tone would compress very well with little loss of image quality. An image such as the example you provided here with a lot of detail and considerable tonal variations (especially the fine graduations in the sky) will not fare as well and will show artifacts such as posterization/banding with a degrading of image quality.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 24-Nov-10 04:40 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

BTW, forgot to add that the AUTO White Balance on the D7000 is generally excellent. I'm generally shooting RAW, but still the AUTO WB is rather good.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 24-Nov-10 05:34 PM
#4. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 24-Nov-10 05:35 PM by billD80

US

HERE'S AN AUTO WB QUICK TEST:
1000ISO, SIGMA 150/2.8, WIDE-OPEN, HAND-HELD, FOCUS IS ON THE WORDS "NUTRITION FACTS". THE LABEL IS WHITE. SHOT UNDER HEAVY TUNGSTEN LIGHTING, SOME DAYLIGHT WELL BACK, NO FLASH.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 24-Nov-10 10:09 PM
11064 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice mini review Bill!

I really like the Times Sq. shot. The blurred people reflect the busy, fast paced nature of that location.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 25-Nov-10 02:34 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Nice mini review Bill!
>
>I really like the Times Sq. shot. The blurred people reflect
>the busy, fast paced nature of that location.

Thanks Dave!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 28-Nov-10 06:50 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 First impressions"
In response to Reply # 6

US

The Tonality is very satisfying, in my view...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2374 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.