Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23542
View in linear mode

Subject: "Replacement For D70" Previous topic | Next topic
brunohornbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2013Tue 29-Jan-13 11:15 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Replacement For D70"

US

I'm considering replacing a D70 with a D7000. My biggest concern with the D70 is its dynamic range. How much increase in dynamic range should I expect with the D7000. I shoot in raw and use Capture NX2 to extract all I can out of my 70, but its still a stretch sometimes, especially outdoors in high contrast situations. I've also found that preset white balance seems to help, but of limited value in quickly changing situations (sunrise or sunset at the beach).

Ideas?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Replacement For D70
agitater Gold Member
30th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
30th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
Omaha
30th Jan 2013
RYnikon Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
brunohornbeck Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
31st Jan 2013
hankwt Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 30-Jan-13 02:03 AM
3857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The differences between the two cameras are dramatic. The D7000 dynamic range is 13.9 Evs; the D70 is only 10.3 Evs - 3.6 stops narrower than the D7000.

The D7000 produces remarkable images up to ISO3200. The D70 can't do much usefully beyond ISO800.

In addition to providing much greater dynamic range, the D7000 sensor also provides more than twice as much image resolution, and 14-bit color.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 30-Jan-13 11:02 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

In addition to what Howard said, I'd add that the D7000 has better Auto WB than the D70. It also displays RGB histograms, which the D70 does not. These can help you get proper exposure under difficult lighting circumstances.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 30-Jan-13 11:13 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Nikonians. While being a very good camera the D70 is far behind what the D7000 offers. I had the D70s and really liked it but wanted more resolution, better ISO, better remote possibilities, etc. The D7000 does require you to use better technique because of the increased resolution but once you understand that you'll really enjoy the extra benefits available.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 03:04 PM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 3

Omaha, US

I upgraded from D70 to D7000 last year.

I'll second all the comments so far. The difference between the cameras is dramatic, and dynamic range is a huge part of that.

With the D7000, I am "saving" shots that would have been either hopelessly blown out or hopelessly under-exposed with the D70. You will be stunned at how much detail is waiting in the white/black areas of your photographs.

As for the higher MP count, what that means to me is that I can make some crazy deep crops to pull good images out of otherwise mundane photos and still preserve enough detail for reasonable size prints. I routinely made 16"x20" prints with my D70, and they look fine. But the limitation is you need to be printing more or less the entire original image. With the D7000, even with heavy cropping, I'm making stunning looking 16"x20" prints.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Mon 18-Feb-13 03:06 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 4

Pittsford, US

I second all the above comments as well.

I did like the way my D70s fit my hand better than the D7000 does.
But I sometimes had to work very hard in post-processing to remove noise from D70s shots that is not even present at the same EV/ISO settings with the D7000.

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

brunohornbeck Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2013Wed 30-Jan-13 11:40 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for all of your help - I didn't realize how much things had changed. Just ordered from B&H. I think that if I can use 50% of its capability I'll be extremely happy.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 31-Jan-13 09:11 PM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Congratulations on your new D7000.
I am sure you will be very happy with it.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Sat 02-Feb-13 12:22 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Replacement For D70"
In response to Reply # 6

kingsville, CA

I too made the switch about a little over a year ago from the d70 to the D7000 I couldnt be happier !! if you do the "math" the D7000 is 1 hundred times the D70 !!! Im sure you wont regret your decision.......... now all you have to do is decide how much to spend on some great glass !!!

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23542 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.