Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23504
View in linear mode

Subject: "Back up body for the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
hatteraspk Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 08:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Back up body for the D7000"

Melbourne Beach, US

Well, my D7000 has decided to not play nice, and has been sent back to its mother on Long Island for repair. I understand that I will now be without its use for awhile. Never gave much thought about a backup body until now. My question is, what should I do? I gave my lovely daughter-in-law my D40 (Can’t ask for it back)
Let’s pretend money is a non issue – should I wait and buy a new D7000 or buy a used D7000 or upgrade to the next level (Whatever that is) The D7000 is like my brain, I only know how to use 10% of it – I got it because the D40 wouldn’t bracket for HDR – now I am loving HDR. Help

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Back up body for the D7000
Cousin Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
29th Jan 2013
hatteraspk Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
29th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
Reply message Feasibility of renting one?
HayMower Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Feasibility of renting one?
Omaha
30th Jan 2013
hatteraspk Silver Member
30th Jan 2013

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Tue 29-Jan-13 04:04 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Kilmore, AU

D600
It's layout is almost identical to a D7000, has U1 and U2, cards are the same, batteries are the same and it will do HDR
It is a full frame camera though, so you need to assess what lens you have and what you would need to get
But you will probably find the D600 becomes your main body, and the D7000 the back up

M

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 04:39 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Jamison, US

Given the deals right now I would get either a new D90 or a new D7000

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 04:31 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

To answer that question we would need a little more information such as what are your most shot subjects, in what light conditions?

If cost was no object, and neither was weight, a D4 and D800e, both, would be the natural choice, along with all the fast glass to make them sing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

hatteraspk Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Tue 29-Jan-13 02:23 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne Beach, US

I wanted to make use of my Lens I already have on my back up :

Nikkor DX 18-200Mm and Nikkor DX 12-24 MM If I go to a full frame body isn't this a issue?

Most of my shooting is travel - night shots - sunrise sunsets - that type stuff I do enjoy playing with HDR a lot

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 05:14 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, you would actually be going backwards in resolution mounting those lenses on the D600. It would switch to an automatic DX mode that crops the frame to the dimensions of a DX sensor. That would give a resulting 10mpx image and a rather small image in the center of the viewfinder.
It is popular to recommend FX because it is finally affordable but it is not the best all around choice for most casual shooters. To get the best out of it FX requires an investment in lenses that far exceeds the cost of the camera. It also creates large files that tax resources more than the D90 or D7000.
Dx results in a lighter camera bag for travel and as a result probably gets taken more often than a major FX kit would, due to weight, size and risk for loss when traveling. There is a lot of life left in the DX bloodline, and for many, if not the majority, it is better.
For your subjects and lenses the D7000 would fit your needs for years, so if you really want a backup, a refurb with warranty would be a good choice.
If travel is a major portion of your photography, what about a backup of a V2, it is very small, has great AF, and with a Nikon F mount adaptor, makes great use of your current lenses? The crop factor is 2.7 so at 200mm your field of view a 540mm lens!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 29-Jan-13 07:16 PM
3979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 29-Jan-13 07:19 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

I think the problem is that the backup camera you never needed until now will only be needed for the period of time your main body is in the shop. One question that comes to mind is what will happen to the duplicate D7000 used as a backup once your main body is returned all shipshape?

I've been predicting for more than a year and a half that Nikon will release the D300s successor sometime during the April/May 2013 period. Whether that DX body turns out to be the predicted one or a successor to the D7000 instead is anyone's guess and I won't hazard another prediction.

A brand new D7000, with full Nikon warranty, is available now at most authorized dealers for only slightly more money than a refurb or a used body. If someone is going to pitch a 2nd D7000, might as well get a new one then.

On the other hand, if the main D7000 is going to be back from the shop any time in the next month or two, why bother with a 2nd D7000 right now? Instead, it might be worthwhile considering a P7700 enthusiast camera. It's not DX, but image quality is very good, it's got all the manual controls, the lens is excellent, the sensor is the best one Nikon has in its small form factor stable, and the camera handles really well. The P7700 can certainly backup any big body for short periods of time and for non-pro use.

So if anyone is taking votes, I'd go for a P7700, wait for the D7000 to return from TLC, then relegate it to backup position (or sell it) when the new DX body champ shows up in four months or less. The P7700 will remain a great stealth camera and a wonderful small, general purpose camera, and an occasional backup. Or sell the P7700 instead, and keep the freshly laundered older D7000 as a second body with a permanently mounted favorite prime lens or something like that (as well as for use as an occasional backup).

There are some superb and better non-Nikon choices I could recommend instead of the P7700, e.g., a Fujifilm X100 or the newer X100s (if the X100s shows up in stores in the next week or two - if it's not on shelves already). The X-100 series from Fuji has an APS-C/DX sized sensor, superb image quality, fixed prime lens of excellent quality, and the full range of external controls on a tough, serious, well built body that features Fuji's amazing hybrid viewfinder. It's a completely different approach than staying pure Nikon obviously, but it can get a photographer's head into a different design, a slightly different approach to image capture and ergonomics, and extends technical familiarity beyond Nikon (which really isn't necessary, but which also doesn't hurt anything at all).

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Wed 30-Jan-13 02:59 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "Feasibility of renting one?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you cannot be without a camera while yours is in the shop,why not rent one? Unless you are looking for an excuse to get a new one. In that case, I think the D600 could be a good choice, unless you want to stay with DX.

My D40x now lives with my son and his wife, and I've been thinking about a D600 - just haven't figured out if I really "need/want" it.

Lens compatibility is something to think about - I "need" more FX glass!

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
AF 85 1.8D
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 03:10 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Feasibility of renting one?"
In response to Reply # 7

Omaha, US

Depending on your style of shooting, something as mundane as an old D70 (which can be had off of eBay for around $100) may be an answer. Its not a D7000, but they can still take fabulous photographs.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

hatteraspk Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Wed 30-Jan-13 05:58 PM
#9. "RE: Back up body for the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne Beach, US

Some great suggestions - Full frame would be nice - but I am trying not to get "Too into this photo thing" I don't want to buy a whole new set of lens and don't want to carry two different sets of lens with me or SD card Systems- so that narrows down the decision D40 - D90 or wait the D7000 replacement –I am guessing

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23504 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.