Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23366
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photography in wet weather questions" Previous topic | Next topic
Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 11:18 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photography in wet weather questions"

Lakewood, US

I have a Nikon D7000 I had for a month now. I live in a state where it is either always rainy or foggy so events I want to take pictures of I don't . I am afraid of ruining my camera. I am in the military stationed in Washington State. Is there anything I could buy for my camera to make it all weather? Any pointers on camera settings? I am enjoying my camera so far. I would love to venture outdoors

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photography in wet weather questions
JosephK Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Jan 2013
hyalite
22nd Jan 2013
ericbowles Moderator
22nd Jan 2013
thormx538
22nd Jan 2013
ericbowles Moderator
22nd Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Jan 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
23rd Jan 2013
EAPhoto
24th Jan 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 22-Jan-13 12:45 AM
4109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I tend to put the camera in roughly the same rain gear I am wearing. Granted my cameras have a bit better weather sealing than the D7000. Clear plastic and rubberbands usually get the job done in light rain. Heavy rain I am too lazy to be out in.

On the to-buy list:
http://www.stormjacket.com/SJ1.html

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 22-Jan-13 01:35 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

ISO320 will give you noise free images, while allowing some leeway in shutter speed and f/stop. The D7000 isn't afraid of too much moisture, but the lenses may not be as weather-proof. Mist isn't a worry, but I don't like water directly dripping on the gear. Also, be aware that running outside into humidity, after being inside with A/C can cause a good deal of condensation. NEVER change lenses if the camera isn't yet acclimatized. Try to do so indoors, then venture out.

Maybe carry a dry, light, small towel. Try to carry the camera under your coat, until shooting.

There are a few tricks with plastic bags and rubber bands...

I would get a rider on your insurance specifically naming the camera and your lenses. That can really help should damage occur.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

hyalite Basic MemberTue 22-Jan-13 04:02 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Browse through the rain protection products at B&H. Read the reviews. Perhaps one of these products will work for you.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Discontinued_Not+Discontinued&sts=ma&N=174&Ntt=Rain+protection+camera+dslr

My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 22-Jan-13 01:04 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

A little moisture or mist on the camera won't make much difference. There is some weather protection on the D7000. The weak points are going to be the buttons and controls. For example, the buttons are small rubber disks with a raised center. As long as you have just a little moisture, it won't get through the seal, but any pressure forcing water under the flap is a problem.

With your lenses there are two problems. The front element or filter can gather drops of water - and a lens hood is a big help in avoiding droplets. I also use a lens cap between images with blowing mist or fog. Zoom lenses and lenses that extend when they focus pose a different problem. These lenses can collect water on the extended part of the barrel, and it can be carried into the lens interior. Be very careful not to let water get inside your lens - and use drying techniques and warm air to dry lenses thoroughly to prevent fungus.

What all this means is you need to provide shelter and use absorbency as a backup. The starting point is to minimize the amount of water your camera is exposed to from rain or mist. A little rain might be ignored - but if you are out in that rain for half an hour or more, it could be a problem. A hard rain needs serious protection - and you probably are not shooting in hard rain. And mist is just the same as light rain - except it often is blown by the wind. Protection starts with an umbrella or cover for your camera and increases depending on the amount of water.

Products like a the Vortex Storm Jacket cover your camera while allowing access. The Think Tank Hydrophobia is a higher cost alternative providing more protection. Some products not only cover your camera and lens, but also provide access for a flash.

Finally - water will get on your camera. When it gets on your camera or lens, try to blot with an absorbent material rather than wiping off water. I carry a couple of small absorbent towels from REI in my camera bag for this issue. I also carry a small lens cloth in a holder clipped to my camera strap.

Generally speaking, I would readily use the camera in fog or mist and not worry too much. If you are out a long time, a small towel to blot water will be useful. I would try to avoid too much rain, but if you plan to shoot in the rain you'll need something like the Storm Jacket. I keep a Medium Storm Jacket clipped to my camera pack at all times. If you get too much rain, it's hard to take good photos anyway.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Tue 22-Jan-13 01:27 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Has anyone used the refrigerator to dry their gear out after being in damp/humid conditions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 22-Jan-13 06:07 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

I've never used a refrigerator since I wanted warm temps. I have put my camera in front of a heat vent. I've also heard of putting it in a sealed bag with a little uncooked rice to absorb moisture.

Jon - good idea about a towel. Even if it gets wet, the towel keeps most of the water off the camera. You can just wring it out if it is too wet.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 22-Jan-13 03:31 PM
6060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Wethersfield, US

Eric has given some good advice. As someone who often has to shoot in the rain, covering sports, I would only add that even a little bit of protection is better than none. Shooting from atop a monopod, in light rain or mist I'll sometimes just drape a towel over the top of the camera and lens, covering most of it. Even that little bit of protection keeps water from building up on the camera surface where it can find its way through the button and dial ports.

And if all else fails, a plastic garbage bag makes for an effective emergency rain cover. Just punch a hole in the closed end and stick the end of the lens through.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 23-Jan-13 01:20 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 5

Geneva, US

Based on recent experience I'll second Eric's recommendation of the Storm Jacket. On the Nikonians workshop in Acadia NP last fall with Les Picker we shot for several hours in pretty steady light rain and mist. I had bought a Storm Jacket for the trip -- it kept my camera quite dry and allowed me to get a couple of really cool waterfall pictures.

dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 23-Jan-13 02:55 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ray,

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Get a quality Rain Cover like the Think Tank Hydrophobia and don't look back.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Wed 23-Jan-13 03:44 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-Jan-13 03:47 PM by Garen T

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

I use mine outdoors all the time, it is tougher than you think, but I always keep one of these http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Rainsleeve-18-Inch/dp/B000PTFDYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358958771&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+rain+sleeve in mybag just in case,and if sitting on my tripod waiting for a shot I often just drape a black garbage bag over the whole setup.

This is from my last trip to Washington, and as you can see, I and all my gear got soaked! Everything was fine after drying it out!

Garen
www.garentphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garent/

EAPhoto Registered since 16th Jan 2013Thu 24-Jan-13 03:17 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Photography in wet weather questions"
In response to Reply # 11

Asheboro, US

Always having a few garbage back stuffed into my camera bag has saved my rump many times.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23366 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.