Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23351
View in linear mode

Subject: "can't navigate menus" Previous topic | Next topic
skiroc Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 21-Jan-13 03:24 AM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"can't navigate menus"

Redlands, US

I was in Death Valley this morning. Got up to take some sunrise pictures and could not navigate any of my menus to change settings, no response from the multi-selector pad. It was only in the low 30's, so don't think it was the cold. Luckily, I had the settings I wanted and was able to take some pictures, but if I had been taking star pictures the night before, many of my settings would have need to be changed. I'm home now and everything is ok, but I certainly don't want that to happen again. I make a lot of changes during the day.

Any thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 21-Jan-13 04:23 AM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: can't navigate menus"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Jan-13 05:02 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

There are some customized settings which allow scrolling through menus by turning the rear Command Wheel. This duplicates what the Multi-Selector Pad accomplishes. To set it, go to Custom>Controls>F6 ( Command Dials. Turn this on.

But if you can't work your way through the menus, check to see of the LCD screen activates. Press the INFO button. Bottom right of camera back. Confirm that the LCD lights up.

Then try the MENU button followed by > PLAYBACK arrow, and see if menus appear.

There is a way turn off these indications and there's a possibility you did this unknowingly. Make sure you are in one of the PASM Modes, not AUTO or SCENE.

To deactivate all custom settings and reset nearly everything to DEFAULT, hold down the two GREEN buttons on the camera. It's actually a green dot next to those buttons.

You will find the dots on the QUAL (back, left-rear) and +/- buttons (just to the rear-right of the shutter. Firmly press both at the same time and hold for 2 seconds. This is known as the Two Button Reset. (nothing you saved in U1 or U2 would be affected)

See if that brings things back to normal.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23351 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.