Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23294
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using Picture Controls with the D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Fire Guy Registered since 18th Nov 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 10:43 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using Picture Controls with the D7000"

US

Gotta say, I am completely befuddled with how to set and use Picture Controls with my D7000. For my everyday shooting, I want to increase the overall sharpness of the photos, the overall saturation, and the overall contrast, but I'm not able to figure out how to make the settings I change, to stick. And then, I'm not sure how to pick a picture control for a certain shooting situation and have the camera stay with those settings until I, what?, go back into the controls and reset them? Anyone know of a really good tutorial that will walk me through, step by step, how to set several picture controls, name them, and then (just as importantly) walk me through what I need to do to activate the specific ones when the need arises? This camera will do most anything anyone wants it to do; just wish it was more intuitive and easy to use... Help, please...!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000
kuzzy Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
Fire Guy
17th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
17th Jan 2013
hyalite
17th Jan 2013
Fire Guy
17th Jan 2013
pimadude Silver Member
17th Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
18th Jan 2013
Fire Guy
18th Jan 2013

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Wed 16-Jan-13 12:29 AM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Here is a link to the Nikon imaging site that goes into quite a bit of detail about picture controls.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/microsite/picturecontrol/index.htm

You can check page 131 of your manual for details about Picture Controls and the D7000 as well as page 136 on how to create a custom picture control.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Fire Guy Registered since 18th Nov 2012Thu 17-Jan-13 01:25 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Marc...! I appreciate the tip... I find the manual a bit daunting, but perhaps that's my nearly 70 year old mind...! Thanks again...! Cliff

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 17-Jan-13 04:25 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

It is not your mind – Nikon manuals are not very well written.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

hyalite Basic MemberThu 17-Jan-13 03:48 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Jan-13 02:26 AM by hyalite

US

"Anyone know of a really good tutorial...?"

Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000" (pinned to the top of the D7000 forum). Darrell's book is so well laid out and user friendly that it will inspire you to learn all aspects of your D7000.

Darrell breaks down the complexities of the D7000's Picture Controls, auto-focus, flash, the custom setting menus ... everything, with patience and foresight, and notes the Nikon manual's page numbers for reference. Darrell mentions that he sometimes needs to refer back to his own book, and often keeps the Kindle version with him for quick reference.

My Nikonians Gallery

Fire Guy Registered since 18th Nov 2012Thu 17-Jan-13 10:28 PM
#5. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks for the info...! I'll get the book on my Kindle...! Cliff Harvey

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Thu 17-Jan-13 10:37 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson, US

Another book for a carry along in a camera bag is "David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Nikon D7000". It's in a handy spiral bound form that works well for field use

I also have the rockynook "Mastering the Nikon D7000" which is very comprehensive, but not quite so useful for a field carry book. I don't, by the way, use the Nook or an eBook and prefer a hardbound book in the field.

Jim

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 05:09 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

HIXSON, US

Cliff,

I hope that does it for you. When I bought the D7000, I got it for a wedding shoot. Hopefully, my last one. I got Digital Darrel's book & David Busch's (not the field guide). I only had three weeks to be ready for the shoot.

I found Busch's book to be more helpful. It has his recommendations throughout the book, in columnar style depending on the type of shooting you are doing. I used Darrel's book to get a discount for the Gold membership on here.

I just wished the D7000 had U1-U5 instead of just U1 & U2.

Charlie

Fire Guy Registered since 18th Nov 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 02:04 PM
#8. "RE: Using Picture Controls with the D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thanks Charlie...! I bought David Busch's book early on and found/find it a bit overwhelming. I then bought John Batdorff's "Nikon D7000 From Snapshots to Great Shots" which I found/find easier to use, but still incomplete somehow. I've just bought Digital Darrel's book on Kindle as well, so will see how I do with that one. I also find that ALL manuals that come with a product are all written by the people that developed the product, people who are already intimately familiar with the product. They 'assume' way too much understanding of the product by the consumer, thus users manuals that are difficult to impossible to glean any real use from...

Thanks again for the help...! Cliff Harvey

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23294 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.