Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23259
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 L-Bracket" Previous topic | Next topic
NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sat 12-Jan-13 02:31 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 L-Bracket"

Janesville, US

I would like to get an L-Bracket for my D7000, and Kirk and RRS seem to be the best candidates. But I frequently open the left-side door to attach the USB cable and download pictures. So, I need to be able to easily open that door without moving, adjusting, or removing the bracket. Is that possible with either of these brackets? Thanks!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 L-Bracket
pimadude Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
12th Jan 2013
Cousin Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
thormx538
15th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Jan 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
16th Jan 2013

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Sat 12-Jan-13 03:00 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I just purchased a Really Right Stuff L-bracket for my Nikon D7000. Both the RRS bracket (BD7000-L set) and the Kirk bracket that is specifically made for the D7000 (BL-D7000) have a slot in the bracket where it is mounted on the bottom of the camera body. This slot allows the bracket to be slid over to accommodate connections to the various functions on the side of the camera (USB Connector, external mic, etc.).

You can't really open the connector covers without sliding the bracket over in the slot for these brackets.

Jim

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 12-Jan-13 04:07 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I have the RRS and as Jim said it does have a slot so the unit can be moved. I download by using the SD card to the pc or card reader so I don't have the need to move the bracket.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 07:02 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If you haven't tried the SD card in an external card reader(or many laptop have a slot built in), you might like how much faster downloading is than using the mini-USB port. It also allows you to keep shooting while the card was swapped out with an empty card while downloading externally.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 10:36 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Kilmore, AU

TJ, I'm using a Kirk BL D7000 L bracket which I'm very happy with
There is provision on the side of the bracket to open these two 'flaps', but I've just tried to open both (never had to in the past) and it's very difficult. I stopped trying without getting one open worried I might cause some damage.
So I guess It's possible, but not easy at all.
But I use an Eye-Fi Mobile X2 card in slot two for jpeg which transfers all my pics to my laptop, and backs up to Eye-Fi's cloud.
No need for cables at all, AND I get a bit more protection with the back up.

M

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sat 12-Jan-13 10:59 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

Thanks for sharing your time and expertise, all. I really don’t want to move the bracket around, and worry that constantly taking the SD card out and back in could eventually damage the contact pins (a problem I had with my used D70). I’ve been thinking about the Eye-Fi for a while, and this may be what pushes me to take the plunge. Again, I really appreciate your help!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 13-Jan-13 12:13 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

I've been taking the same SD card in/out on a regular basis going on two years and have not experienced any problem. But, what works for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 09:30 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Thanks for sharing your time and expertise, all. I really
>don’t want to move the bracket around, and worry that
>constantly taking the SD card out and back in could eventually
>damage the contact pins (a problem I had with my used D70).
>I’ve been thinking about the Eye-Fi for a while, and this may
>be what pushes me to take the plunge. Again, I really
>appreciate your help!

I wouldn't worry too much about wearing out the contacts of the SD card. The mating pins are much larger than a CF card, there are fewer of them, and it is more of a sliding/spring contact method, as opposed to attempting to align a bunch of tiny pins into tiny sockets. In fact, I bet you would wear the USB port out faster by plugging/unplugging the cable than you would the SD card (and even that is of little concern).

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 16-Jan-13 08:52 AM
25581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi TJ,

Memory cards were designed to be inserted and removed thousands of times. As stated above, there are only 9 contacts on a SD card compared to 50 pins on CF cards.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 05:27 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 L-Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

Thanks for the info on SD cards, I didn’t realize their pins were more robust than the old CF pins. I got an order in for the Kirk bracket and SD card reader. Can’t wait to try it out!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23259 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.