Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23252
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 shut off time?" Previous topic | Next topic
tetrahedron Registered since 12th Jan 2013Sat 12-Jan-13 09:12 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 shut off time?"

CA

This is probably the only place I can find a proper answer.
I just got my D7k back from a servicing, adjusting the notorious back-focus issue.

Now here is a question.
How long does it take for your D7k to shut off?
My firmware is the newest one:

A: 1.02
B: 1.03
L: 1.006

I just have a feeling it is way too slow. At least 1 - 2 seconds. I thought the rating was 0.4 seconds? Sometimes it stays on for around 5 - 10 seconds without responding.

This was the 6th time I sent it in and I'm really fed up with this body. After the 4th repair of the other notorious oil-splatter issue, they gave me a new body. Except the new body had the back-focus issue.

I may have to escalate this issue again. I feel that getting a new body with 6 repairs was rather a poor compensation for all the time and money wasted on trying to repair it.

And I do have the battery grip; I've heard that the grip causes bad things to happen but all answers on other forums were pretty vague.

If you guys can check, I would appreciate it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 shut off time?
briantilley Moderator
12th Jan 2013
tetrahedron
12th Jan 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
tetrahedron
12th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
12th Jan 2013
N4TVC Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
Linesider36 Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
N4TVC Silver Member
18th Jan 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 12-Jan-13 09:35 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

What do you mean by "shut off", exactly?

The D7000 (like other Nikon DSLR's) does not turn itself off altogether. It does have a configurable delay that controls when the rear monitor display goes off when viewing the menus or an image - this is on page 215 in the camera manual - Custom Setting c4 Monitor off Delay. There is also a setting that controls how long the camera meter and the top LCD display stay active - page 214 Custom Setting c2 Auto Meter-off Delay.

I'm sorry you've had problems with your camera, but contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, there has been no "notorious" oil-splatter issue on the D7000, and not really any consistent "back-focus" problem or general faults with genuine MB-D11 battery grips either. Many of the early complaints about poor sharpness proved to be down to a lack of technique or understanding on the part of the photographer, though to be fair there were a few credible reports of focus faults with the camera.

Now that you have found Nikonians, hopefully we will be able to help you identify what are real problems and suggest ways of resolving them

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

tetrahedron Registered since 12th Jan 2013Sat 12-Jan-13 07:11 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

I think actually a lot of the first production run had issues with excess oil on the shutter. Or maybe I'm just really unlucky to encounter all these. But if you guys knew the trouble I had with this body, I think you guys would forgive me for bashing this body because I really love the functions; I've just been let down by Nikon's service and repair team more than anything.

And by off, I meant the viewfinder as well as the LCD portion. Sorry for not making that clear. I didn't have this issue before I sent it in but as soon as I received it back it started to have this problem.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 08:26 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>
>And by off, I meant the viewfinder as well as the LCD portion.
>Sorry for not making that clear. I didn't have this issue
>before I sent it in but as soon as I received it back it
>started to have this problem.

I'm not doubting you, and I'm not trying to argue, just understand.

Are you saying that you keep the camera up to your eye, looking through the viewfinder, turn the power off, and it takes 5+ seconds for the viewfinder to power off?

I ask b/c I've never looked through the viewfinder immediately after powering off. For all I know it might stay turned on for 30 minutes.

As far as the Sandisk cards having problems: I've never had an issue with a Sandisk card.

You also mention that somebody suggested you format your cards? Don't you do that regularly anyhow? My standard procedure is to download images to computer; card back into camera, and immediately format card.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 12-Jan-13 12:00 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

My experience over the last couple of years with the D7000 is that the 1-2 seconds is normal. I use SanDisk Class 10 cards. Your experience of 5-10 seconds sounds like the camera is having difficulty writing its last entry to the memory card before shutting down.

What exact SDHC cards are you using i.e. manufacturer, model and class? Check to see if they are approved for the D7000 and at least a Class 6 card.

If you can, get some SanDisk Class 6 or 10 cards and see if it makes a difference. That may not be the issue, but at least you can rule out the memory.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tetrahedron Registered since 12th Jan 2013Sat 12-Jan-13 07:04 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Well, I use a Patriot 64GB EX card and the 16GB Sandisk Class 10.
I know the 16GB Sandisk had issues in the past and people told me to format it and so I did.

But the thing is that there are times I don't even end up shooting and this causes the lag. 5-10 seconds for either card seems like a bit of an issue but hasn't happened for a couple days so I'll wait to see if I experience it again.

It's a good body but considering that I haven't had it the majority of the time I owned this thing, I feel Nikon kind of screwed me with a product I invested a couple thousand dollars into. (Sorry, that's just my rant; I've literally had all the possible problems that people mentioned with this thing)

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 12-Jan-13 03:14 PM
3969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

>Now here is a question.
>How long does it take for your D7k to shut off?

If you're pressing the shutter button to take a photo and then immediately turning off the camera, then the camera won't shut off until the photo you took has been fully saved to the SD card. If the SD card is a basic class 10 card (10-20/MBs) or slower, it could take anywhere from 4-12 seconds for a large, fine JPG+NEF file to save and then allow the camera to shut off.

I hope this isn't off-topic, but normally when I occasionally shut off my D7K it has usually already been idle for 30 seconds of more. No shots being saved, the meter has already idled automatically, the camera systems are in idle mode (typical of most DSLR cameras by all makers), etc. The camera shut off is instantaneous.

There is an idling subsystem in all Nikon DSLR bodies which provides minimal power for clock timing (a pickup from the internal lithium button battery), top LCD readout of remaining main battery capacity or remaining shots or both, and some other very low-drain systems to remain active when the camera is shut off and the main battery is installed. Nikon DSLR bodies can remain shut off, with no appreciable drain on the main battery, for at least four months (depending on the age and condition of the main battery). My point is that if you're actively concerned about best shooting practices with respect to conserving battery life while shooting, and/or generally best practices with respect to getting the longest overall life out of the battery, there is very little to be concerned about.

I turn my camera on at the beginning of a city walkabout, trip (including plane travel, car travel, boat travel - thousands of miles/kilometers), hike, work day, etc., etc., and don't turn it off unless I have have to change cards, change lenses, clean the sensor filter or mirror box, or change the battery. Leaving the camera on simply results in it going idle, as designed, until I half-press the shutter button to wake it up. I know that there has to be a difference in battery life between charges when leaving it on as I've described, but it's a small enough difference for my purposes to be completely irrelevant.

Hope some of this helps.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 05:59 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

On both my D7k bodies, shut-off is instantaneous; however, I normally leave the cameras on during a session, until the session is well over, so it's not like I'm shooting a burst, then attempting to power off.

Perhaps that accounts for the difference?

(I guess I could have just typed "What Howard said.")

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 09:40 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

I would try to isolate the conditions to reproduce the problem.
If the buffer is full and has delays in transfering to the card it will not shut off immediately. So try removing the largest card and fill the buffer before turning it off. Check how long the memory activity light flashes. Swap cards, remove the smaller one and use only the larger and try the same test and see if there is a similar time to clear the buffer. I have never tried a card that large, too risky if the inevitable card failure occurs before the card has been transferred to a hard disk. Smaller cards, changed more frequently is a safety and lower cost feature.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Sat 12-Jan-13 09:45 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

Yes, there were several early bodies sent back for what Nikon called "Oil on Sensor" and the shutter mechanism and shutter charging motor were changed out under warranty. Some were repaired several months after the warranty had expired at Nikon's expense as it was a known issue. The AF was adjusted (secondary mirror adjustment) in some of these cases.

I've not experienced any delays in turning off the camera unless I still had shots in the buffer, which would be expected.

After repairs, mine has been flawless.

Charles

Linesider36 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2009Wed 16-Jan-13 11:12 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 0

Westhampton Beach, US

Just a little off topic but you said you have the latest firmware in your camera. I just downloaded the latest firmware from the Nikon site and it was

A 1.02
B 1.03
L 1.002

Just checking, Thanks,Spencer

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 18-Jan-13 09:02 PM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 shut off time?"
In response to Reply # 10

Burke, US

Spenser, The current lens distortion correction data version is L 1.006.

Charles

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23252 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.