Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23227
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 battery drain and OS lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 10-Jan-13 06:37 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"

US

I am about to take possession of the Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS lens.

It will be my first OS/VR lens and I wonder if anyone who has used this type has noticed any significant change in battery drain.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
briantilley Moderator
11th Jan 2013
dwaycie Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
elec164 Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
billD80 Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
12th Jan 2013
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
esandy Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
13th Jan 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 10-Jan-13 06:50 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

In his eBook on the D7000, Thom Hogan writes about VR and battery drain. Of course, he is talking strictly about Nikkor lenses, but the mechanical principles are pretty much the same on Sigma with OS.

He says to keep your finger off the shutter button. That's what initiates VR and increases the current draw on the battery. So, don't hesitate.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 11-Jan-13 02:37 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 11-Jan-13 02:38 PM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

For the VR to perform as intended you'll have to give it time to work it wonders. Get the shot focused and then snap away. If you keep your finger on the release for a length of time you will probably hear the VR system working and this will have an effect on the battery. Enjoy the lens.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 11-Jan-13 02:56 PM
28684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It must be the case that VR/OS results in greater battery usage - but I've never found that it causes any problems. If you're in a situation where it will help you get better shots, then my advice would be to use it without worrying

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dwaycie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Fri 11-Jan-13 03:06 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo Grove, US

I have the Sigma 150-500, which is probably similar. I've shot birds all day long for several days in a row without draining a battery.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Of course, you always want to have a spare, fully charged battery around anyway.

Dave

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 11-Jan-13 03:06 PM
1969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have that lens as well as two other stabilized lenses (1 VR and 2 OS). I'm sure the use of stabilization does help drain the battery quicker. But in my use I haven't noticed any problem and easily get a days worth of shooting (or more) out of the D7000 battery.

But as John notes, you just can't mash the shutter, you need a bit of time for the stabilization to settle.

Pete

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 11-Jan-13 06:34 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks everyone!

The lens arrived, and pressing the shutter release initiates a "snap" effect in the image, with an extremely subtle, extremely high-pitched hum, if I keep the shutter pressed.

Just grab shooting, I was easily hand-holding at 1/60th @ 150mm.

One reason I asked about this is because I've taken the battery out of the D7000 body, relying ONLY on the one in the grip. But from what others say, one battery should be sufficient for a day's shooting...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 09:21 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

The D7000 is a power miser, just sipping electrons compared to some cameras. I just charged my D7000 battery tonight for the first time in a month and during that time, there are at least 1,000 frames. Using the same batteries, my D800 gets less than that with two batteries, 1 in the grip and one in the camera, and that one has been set up tp consume less. For example the rear display is turned off and it has non-VR lenses mostly mounted(85 1.4, 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 24-70 etc).
The D7000 does not seem to drain the battery even with sitting in a bag for weeks at a time. So you will be fine with a single battery for a full day of shooting.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 25-Jan-13 12:43 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 7

Brighton and Hove, GB

>The D7000 is a power miser

Stan, are you sure it's not you who's the power miser?

I doubt that I'm getting even 500 frames out of a charge, but I'm guessing it's a combination of excessive chimping and reviewing and waiting to shoot with the shutter button half pressed. I don't care, it's still hugely better than a point and shoot.

I would recommend a backup battery just to be on the safe side.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 09:33 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

You shouldn't have any problem with just the battery in the grip. Its how I have mine set up and I shoot with VR set to ON most of the time. The battery seems to last forever in the D7K.

Ed

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Sun 13-Jan-13 05:33 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 battery drain and OS lenses"
In response to Reply # 8

Gettysburg, US

I use VR almost all the time and my battery seems nearly endless. Hundreds, at least, of outdoor continuous mode, bracket, continuous AF - various mixtures, and the battery lasts at least days.

One thing that does seem to suck battery is leaving the camera in remote control so I can use the IR button to shoot birds outside my window without having to get up from my desk and spooking them. OTOH,I have the remote set to stay on 15 minutes, and occasionally fire a shot just to reset the timer.

But if all you're concerned about is VR, don't be. The D7k is definitely a power miser.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23227 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.