Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23208
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 - to use a Flash - SB28:" Previous topic | Next topic
mervsone Registered since 15th Nov 2012Wed 09-Jan-13 10:33 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 - to use a Flash - SB28:"

Whanganui, NZ

I have recently purchased a Nikon D7000 and am reall1y enjoying my learning experience with my first digital SLR.

My late father was a film camera Nikon collector and I have retained a flash unit, the Nikon Speed-light - SB28.

I have been told its a good flash unit, and that I can use it on the D7000 in manual mode.

How is this done, where can I go to get some information on how to run this flash unit manually?

I am not an experienced camera operator, coming through the film era with compact and fixed lens film camera's, onto the fixed lens digital cameras.

I have purchased the D7000 because of its reviews, and I am able to use a couple of lenses from my fathers collection (AF Nikkor 24-120, and 70-300 mm lenes.

I will appreciate any advise given.

Regards all.

Merv

Mervsone

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Wed 09-Jan-13 10:59 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 - to use a Flash - SB28:"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A quick and easy way to get your exposure is to use the guide number, distance and f/stop method.

The guide number of that flash is roughly 110 ft at ISO 100 at 35 mm setting. Divide the guide number by the distance between the flash and the camera for the correct f/stop.

For example, you are taking a picture of a person who is 15 feet away from the flash (not the camera unless the flash is on the camera). Divide 110/15 = 7.3. Your correct f/stop will then be f/7.3 or you can round up to f/8.

Take a picture and review your shot/histogram and adjust your f/stop as needed.

You can rework the equation to fit the situation. If you want to shoot at a particular f/stop, and you know the guide number, then you can calculate how far away your flash should be as follows: d=GN/f. So if you wanted to use the GN 110, and you want to shoot at f/8, you should place your camera 13.75 feet away from your subject because d=110/8=13.75.

The thing you need to remember, is that the GN of your flash changes based on the zoom head setting of the flash. The 110 ft GN is good for 35 MM, but the GN will be higher if your flash is set to 50mm or 85 mm. You can look these figures up online by conducting a search for SB-28 guide number, and create a little chart you can print on an index card and keep in your kit.

Something to keep in mind is that this does not need to be precise. If I am in the field and have to shoot in manual mode, I tend to ballpark the math. In other words, I would use f/8 instead of f/7.3, and I would use 15 feet instead of 13.75 as calculated above. You just need to get it close, then review your image and histogram and make any fine adjustments you deem necessary.

Of course, if you want to cheat, you could buy a flash meter.

In reality is is a lot more complicated to explain than to perform once you get the concept. Good luck!

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 12:33 AM
2712 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 - to use a Flash - SB28:"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The SB-28 is a nice flash. You'll find it's easier to use in Auto mode rather than manual. Once you set the ISO and the f stop the flash does the rest since the sensor is on the front of the flash. The distance bar will tell you if the ISO and f stop is within the flash range. It's has a pretty wide auto range. As an example at ISO 400 and f5.6, everything within 3 1/2 feet and 30 feet will be perfectly exposed. You don't have to do any math. It works for me and the exposures are right on.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 10-Jan-13 12:58 AM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 - to use a Flash - SB28:"
In response to Reply # 2

Rancho Cordova, US

I have also used my SB28 in Auto flash mode, setting the ISO and the aperture all on the SB-28 with the office's D70s and my D700 (until I got my SB910). Exposures weren't always 100% but could easily be adjusted by chimping (reviewing the image in the camera) and adjusting accordingly. More often than not, I was pleased with the image.

Shooting RAW helped, too.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23208 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.