Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23180
View in linear mode

Subject: "AI mount lens on D7000." Previous topic | Next topic
koshal Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Wed 09-Jan-13 04:04 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AI mount lens on D7000."

Kolkata, IN

Hi,
I have Nikomat FTN body with AI mount and three lens i.e. 50mm, 28mm and 135mm. Recently I have purchased D7000 body of F mount. Now, my question is whether I can use my older lenses with this body or not, obviously on Manual mode.
Regards.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: AI mount lens on D7000.
agitater Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
12th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
esandy Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
upandaway
09th Jan 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
esandy Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
10th Jan 2013
esandy Silver Member
10th Jan 2013

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 12:22 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 09-Jan-13 12:24 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

In the Nikon autofocus lens forum here on Nikonians, you'll find this up-to-date chart of autofocus and manual focus Nikon lens compatibility with all current and non-current Nikon bodies.

Your manual focus lenses are all F-mount. The AI designation is an electrical connection and metering notation.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 09-Jan-13 01:28 PM
2890 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 09-Jan-13 02:04 PM by Leonard62

Hatboro, Pa, US

Howard,

The compatibility chart doesn't contain the older film bodies like the F, F2, or any of the Nikkormats. JRP knows this but doesn't have the time to do the research on the older bodies. I started a list to add these bodies but haven't had time to complete it.

The AI designation is a mechanical designation on the mount used to position the meter lever on the camera body. It replaces the need for the prong that sticks up on the manual focus lenses.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 01:49 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

Right you are Len. The OP seems to think his lenses are AI though, so if they are the chart should help. Would that mean the FTN was modified? I can't believe I chimed in on a thread about gear of this vintage.

My Nikonians Gallery

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 09-Jan-13 02:01 PM
2890 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 4

Hatboro, Pa, US

Howard,

I would really doubt the Nikormat FTN was modified. However the Nikomat (not Nikkormat) was made for the Japanese market so I suppose Nikon could have made a few with the AI mount for their market only. But I never heard of one. I just want to be sure the OP knows the difference between the AI and pre-AI mount. I posted a photo showing the two mounts a few months ago. But I can't find it now. Still looking. I don't want anybody to break their camera.

And to correct the op, the Nikomat normally has the F mount (original Nikon mount) and the D7000 an AI mount even though all the info says F mount.

Len

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 06:41 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 4

Lynnwood, US

The first AI lenses have the prong for older meter systems. All of my manual focus lenses are AI with the prong and work on my D7000 in A or M mode. iTTL flash also works.

my website

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 12-Jan-13 01:26 PM
#13. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 12

Hatboro, Pa, US

>The first AI lenses have the prong for older meter systems.
>All of my manual focus lenses are AI with the prong and work
>on my D7000 in A or M mode. iTTL flash also works.

All manual focus lenses whether they are pre-AI or AI have the metering prong. That's not what makes them AI. Also AIS lenses except for the Series-E and the later AIS 50mm f1.8 had prongs. The difference is the addition of the cutouts in the bottom of the aperture ring.

Len

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 09-Jan-13 01:13 PM
#2. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I believe the Nikomat FTN was made prior to the introduction of the AI mount. Verify the mount on your camera. If it is truly pre-AI and the lenses are from the same period then they can't be mounted on the D7000 without causing damage.

Len

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 08:15 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 09-Jan-13 08:20 PM by esandy

Wichita Falls, US

Not to hijack this thread but I'm a bit confused by the chart that Howard provided a link to. It lists the AF-D type lenses as MF (Manual Focus) for the D7000.

I thought the AF-D lenses would work with the D7K as Nikon lists in its chart "Type G or D AF NIKKOR/AF-S, AF-I NIKKOR" as Auto Focusing.

Is the MF an error in JRP's chart or am I just reading it wrong?

Ed

upandaway Registered since 16th Dec 2012Wed 09-Jan-13 09:04 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 6

US

All of my D lenses auto focus on my d7k.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 09-Jan-13 09:08 PM
#8. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 6

Hatboro, Pa, US

>Not to hijack this thread but I'm a bit confused by the chart
>that Howard provided a link to. It lists the AF-D type lenses
>as MF (Manual Focus) for the D7000.
>
>I thought the AF-D lenses would work with the D7K as Nikon
>lists in its chart "Type G or D AF NIKKOR/AF-S, AF-I
>NIKKOR" as Auto Focusing.
>
>Is the MF an error in JRP's chart or am I just reading it
>wrong?

That has to be an error on the chart.

Len

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 09:55 AM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 8

Wichita Falls, US

Ron, Len, thanks I thought I was losing my mind there for a moment.

Ed

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 10-Jan-13 01:15 PM
#10. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 9

Toronto, CA

Send a PM to JRP?

My Nikonians Gallery

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 03:26 PM
#11. "RE: AI mount lens on D7000."
In response to Reply # 10

Wichita Falls, US

PM sent to JRP.

Ed

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23180 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.