Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23178
View in linear mode

Subject: "Replacing my D300 with a D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr_Vic Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 02:46 AM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"

Roy, US

I need to replace my D300 which is dead, with a used D7000 or D300s... It will be a backup body or a third body with DX lens on my sports shoots....

Anyone isuing the D7000 for action sports, I have been told that the D7000 plays better in low light than the D300...

Mr. Vic

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?
IanCT
09th Jan 2013
Mr_Vic Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
IanCT
09th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
IanCT
09th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
IanCT
09th Jan 2013
km6xz Moderator
10th Jan 2013
kstrongs
10th Jan 2013
Mr_Vic Silver Member
10th Jan 2013

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 09-Jan-13 06:22 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

SF Bay, US

Better in low light, it has a tad less noise at higher ISO, but less frames-per-second than the D300.

I use one to backup my D300s, although sometimes I feel the D300s is the backup, depending on the venue and/or event. For low light I use a D700 but I don't think you could go wrong with a D7000 if you won't miss the independant metering and focus mode selector switches, and a couple other features I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

Mr_Vic Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 07:04 AM
326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 1

Roy, US

Thanks for your input, low light does tip the scale for me....

Mr. Vic

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 09-Jan-13 10:46 AM
6054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

The sensor is a step up, but I find the autofocus system marginal for low light action shooting. I haven't used the D300, so I can't compare directly, but compared to the D3 I get frustrated with the D7000's AF. If I were you I would solicit opinions comparing the two AF systems.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 09-Jan-13 03:30 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

SF Bay, US

Are you using Nikkor lenses? I haven't had a problem acquiring focus quickly with the D7000 in low light such as the types used onstage for music/band performances (red, blue gels, some hot lights) or in coffee shops with the house lights turned down.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 09-Jan-13 05:30 PM
6054 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

Yes, I'm using AF-S 24-70 f/2.8, AF-S 70-200 f/2.8 and AF-S 400 f/2.8. But the subjects I'm shooting are moving a lot faster than stage performers. I'm talking about football, basketball, etc. In addition, AF-C tracking is a critical issue since such subjects are in continuous motion. Since those are the kind of subjects the OP is talking about shooting, I think my experience may have some relevance.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 09-Jan-13 05:35 PM
#6. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

SF Bay, US

I apologize, I wasn't discounting your experience and you're right, sports players move much, much faster - of which I don't have any experience in photographing. Only competitive swimmers in broad daylight.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 09-Jan-13 05:54 PM
#8. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

No offense taken! This is complicated stuff with no clear answers, so we all have to contribute whatever knowledge we can.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

IanCT Registered since 15th Sep 2008Wed 09-Jan-13 05:37 PM
#7. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

SF Bay, US

...in which case sticking with the D300s would probably be the better choice to nail focus quickly in AF-C, I'd rather have a little more noise than an out of focus image.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 08:24 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

The MultiCAM3500DX is better for fast sports so the D300s which is a bargain used now would be a better choice.
But all other aspects of image quality will be better on a D7000, not only due to lower noise and higher resolution but it can run in 14 bit mode and get 2.5 times the frame rate as the D300s in 14 bit. In 12 bit, the D300s is faster.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 05:16 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 05:46 PM by kstrongs

St. Thomas, CA

>I need to replace my D300 which is dead, with a used D7000 or
>D300s... It will be a backup body or a third body with DX lens
>on my sports shoots....
>
>Anyone isuing the D7000 for action sports, I have been told
>that the D7000 plays better in low light than the D300...
>
>
>Mr. Vic

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Visit
>
my
>Nikonians gallery>.

I have the D7000. I shoot a lot of Hockey.
I use it in manual mode, 70-200 F2.8.
Set Aperature to F2.8 or 3.2. Shutter speed to 1/250 or 1/320.
Set Auto ISO to low- 100, high- 1600.
I use 32gig, 90Mps cards, 14 bit, Raw.
Short bursts.
If you want to do a lot of shots in a row, I find in jpeg mode the camera can shoot 6fps easily.

Mr_Vic Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2007Thu 10-Jan-13 05:40 PM
#11. "RE: Replacing my D300 with a D7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

Roy, US

Thanks or your input, it was valuable....

Mr. Vic

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23178 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.