Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23106
View in linear mode

Subject: "Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy" Previous topic | Next topic
TnkrBell313 Registered since 05th Jan 2013Sun 06-Jan-13 01:31 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
Sun 06-Jan-13 03:27 AM by TnkrBell313

US

I recently bought a Nikon D7000. I am a novice who loves to take photos of my daughter's dance team and my garden, etc. I now want to really learn more than just to use my camera as a point and shoot (which I had been doing the last couple years.)

I upgraded cameras to hopefully get some great shots of my daughter's last year on her high school dance team, and use my Tamron 70-200 lens and it's working out great. I'm still learning about ISO, shutter speeds, and aperture, and want to learn more.

We are going to the Mall of America soon and I am thinking about bringing a smaller lens than the Tamron because I don't want to lug it around all weekend, and will hopefully be able to get closer to the action, so I won't need it.

Do you have any recommendations for me? Of course there will not be much light in the middle of the mall. What about the 50mm F1.8? or 1.4?

Any other ideas for a lens that would be great to take on trips and travel?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Newbie and new D700 - questions on which lenses to ...
JosephK Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to...
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
TnkrBell313
06th Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
TnkrBell313
06th Jan 2013
billD80 Silver Member
06th Jan 2013
GCDawn
06th Jan 2013
The Warrior Gold Member
07th Jan 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
Camel Toad
07th Jan 2013
Melmoore Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
rbaley680
08th Jan 2013
koshal
09th Jan 2013

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 06-Jan-13 02:48 AM
3716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Newbie and new D700 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Probably best to keep all the responses in the other active thread:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=135&topic_id=62135&mesg_id=62135&page=

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 06-Jan-13 11:29 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

I have the 35mm F1.8 and I love it. IMO it is better than the 50mm for a walk around lens because on a DX body (the D7000) 35 mm is equivalent to about 50 mm on an FX body.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TnkrBell313 Registered since 05th Jan 2013Sun 06-Jan-13 04:14 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 2

US

OK Steve, since I am new to the terms and new to all this photography jargon, (and I want to learn all of this, so be patient with me!) please explain what the DX body is compared to the FX body. What does that mean?

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 06-Jan-13 04:40 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 06-Jan-13 06:40 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

It has to do with the size of the sensor. The D7000 which is a DX body has a smaller sensor than a full frame camera such as the D600/D700/D800. If a 35mm lens is used on the D7000 it will have an apparent field of view of 50mm. If the same lens is used on a D800, for example, it's field of view will be 35mm. When you are considering lens to buy the field of view assumes it will be used on an FX body. If you are going to use it on a d7000 you should multiply by a factor of 1.5. So the tamron 70-200 is really like a 105-300 on the d7000

TnkrBell313 Registered since 05th Jan 2013Sun 06-Jan-13 05:34 PM
#5. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks so much for the explanation. I did know my camera is not a full frame and has a smaller sensor than the full frame cameras, but it makes sense in these terms!!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 06-Jan-13 05:40 PM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Just to add, the 50/1.4 Nikon or Sigma variant is a great option, but remember, wide-open at 1.4, the depth of field is very shallow. So for instance, in a close-up portrait, the eyes might be in focus, but the nose and ears won't be. This is a great effect, but just know that there is always a trade off when shooting at large apertures.

The original Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a phenomenal lens (the one without the built-in motor). I've had mine since 2007, and it works like a charm on the D7000.

It may make more sense than a single focal length (30 or 50) at this stage.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

GCDawn Registered since 18th Dec 2010Sun 06-Jan-13 10:17 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Gold Coast, AU

Another vote for 35mm 1.8. Great walk around lens, though I am biased towards prime lenses. Super price too.

The Warrior Gold Member Nikonian since 26th May 2012Mon 07-Jan-13 10:10 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 7

Oil City, US

The 35mm is a super bargain and I love to use it to shoot in the woods. It's super sharp and weighs next to nothing. I zoom with my feet.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 02:17 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 8

Jamison, US

There are also places you can rent lenses to try out, I have found that very useful over the years.

Camel Toad Registered since 06th Dec 2012Mon 07-Jan-13 06:35 PM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 9

Austin, US

>There are also places you can rent lenses to try out, I have
>found that very useful over the years.
>

Really good suggestion. I plan to rent lenses a good bit.

-

I have the 50mm 1.8D lens and I shoot with it a good bit - more than my 18-200 by a good bit. I am really impressed with it, especially given the low price of $135 US new!

-James

Melmoore Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Oct 2012Mon 07-Jan-13 07:50 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you are going to be indoors and working around a stage or something similar I would recommend the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 HSM. They are a fantastic lens for this type of work.

rbaley680 Registered since 21st Sep 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 03:20 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 0

Elgin, US

I usually pack the 18-200, and throw the 50mm 1.8 in the bag-covered.

koshal Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Wed 09-Jan-13 06:56 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Newbie and new D7000 - questions on which lenses to buy"
In response to Reply # 12

Kolkata, IN

In my opinion Tamron 18-270mm is a good option for single lens. In DX format it will be 28-420 mm(approx).Weight of this lens is 420 gms.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23106 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.