Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2310
View in linear mode

Subject: "My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?" Previous topic | Next topic
pixbyalan Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 23-Nov-10 03:18 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"

US

I just got my D7000 today. When I shake the camera or even go from horizontal to vertical, there is a rattle. I is less prominent but still audible when the flash is raised. Does anyone else have this?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?
JPJ Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
pixbyalan
23rd Nov 2010
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
Sportymonk
28th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
28th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2010
Blue_green_water
29th Nov 2010
elec164 Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
briantilley Moderator
30th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
30th Nov 2010
pixbyalan
30th Nov 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
30th Nov 2010
intrepidnz
30th Nov 2010
billD80 Silver Member
30th Nov 2010

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 23-Nov-10 03:33 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I don't want to make light of your problem but I kind of laughed when I read this post. "When I shake the camera...there is a rattle". It makes me wonder how this issue was discovered originally.

After I stopped laughing though I ran to check my camera and no rattle when going from landscape to portrait or vice versa. I shook it, very gently mind you, and no rattle. I don't think shaking the camera is advisable.

It may be that your pop up flash is not seated "tightly". Worth having it looked at, hopefully you bought locally and can just bring it to the store you purchased at.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pixbyalan Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 23-Nov-10 03:41 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Well, I discovered it when I took it out of the box and held it up on first inspection today. I held the strap brackets. I held the flash down. None of this helped. It is less evident when the flash is raised. I've seen others with this issue on DPreview's forum and some say they have it, some say they don't. I'm not shaking it vigorously. Just gently back and forth.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 23-Nov-10 03:56 AM
11297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Don’t worry this is normal. This question comes up with just about every new body.

Nikon DSLR’s have an orientation sensor. Some people hear it easier then others but it should be there in every body.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 23-Nov-10 12:05 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Don’t worry this is normal. This question comes up with just
>about every new body.
>
>Nikon DSLR’s have an orientation sensor. Some people hear it
>easier then others but it should be there in every body.

I remember feeling SO relieved when I read this explanation after hearing this same noise in my D200!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Sun 28-Nov-10 02:37 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 3

Rocky Mount, US

What orientation sensor? What is its purpose?

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 28-Nov-10 02:43 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>What orientation sensor? What is its purpose?

The orientation sensor (present in most, if not all, DSLR's) allows the camera to know whether an image was shot with the camera held in "portrait" or "landscape" orientation. This information is recorded in the EXIF data, which then allows the image to be displayed the right way around.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 23-Nov-10 03:58 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Mine does not seem to make any audible noise when doing what you do.

But I have read in the past where people report such noise in various model cameras and the general reply is that it is the orientation sensor.

Pete

Pete

Blue_green_water Registered since 14th Nov 2010Mon 29-Nov-10 11:13 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 4

NL

Orientation sensor does not make any sound. Its a mems device (acceleration, g-force). Just google it.
The noise is not normal - It could be the mirror or something else.

Just bring/send it back for a replacement

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 30-Nov-10 12:34 AM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Orientation sensor does not make any sound. Its a mems device
>(acceleration, g-force). Just google it.

Your post intrigued me so I did look it up.

You may wish to re-think that position.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-products/sensors-tranducers/4089680/Sensor-detects-photo-orientation

http://www.romanblack.com/tilt/SFH7710_angle_sensor_using.pdf

A steel ball rolling back and forth seems to me that it may make an audible sound. But perhaps not.

Pete

Pete

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 30-Nov-10 07:52 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

>Orientation sensor does not make any sound.

The orientation certainly can and does make a noise, and can be heard (in the right conditions) in most Nikon DSLR's. Note: I've not handled a D7000 yet, so I cannot be certain about that particular camera.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 30-Nov-10 12:06 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>>Orientation sensor does not make any sound.
>
>The orientation certainly can and does make a noise, and can
>be heard (in the right conditions) in most Nikon DSLR's.
>Note: I've not handled a D7000 yet, so I cannot be certain
>about that particular camera.

My D200 definitely had that noise. My D7000 doesn't seem to, but when I went to check, my daughter was listening to Rihanna...

Analyzing sounds is difficult at best online. Perhaps the original poster can take it to a friend experienced with Nikon bodies?

pixbyalan Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Tue 30-Nov-10 01:44 PM
#12. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I took it to Glazers in Seattle (our version of B&H). They pulled out 2 D7000s and both of them had the noise. Ken Rockwell emailed me and also said it was normal. The camera works great so I am assuming it is normal.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 30-Nov-10 03:32 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

Some orientation sensors are ball bearings, there is the mechanical iris stop down lever, and there is the mechanical mirror lifting mechanism. Any one of these devices could crate a rattle. Also if you place a VR lens on the camera, many VR lenses have 'floating' elements that can also be heard moving or move when not locked.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

intrepidnz Registered since 18th Nov 2004Tue 30-Nov-10 04:06 PM
233 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 13

NZ

Now, this might be a red herring but I had a little revelation with regard to my D7000.

I was wondering why my camera was making funny, seemingly radnom 'rattling' noise just after I took a picture and put the camera down on its strap, you know, like you are holding it in front of you while you look around for another picture.

Figured out what the noise was.

It so happens that the preview button is further down the mount than previous cameras so my left hand's little pinky was just resting up against the preview button while I hold the camera. What was happening was that, unbeknownst to me, it was gently activating the preview button while the hand was cradling the camera, thereby creating this strange seemingly random 'rattling' noise!!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 30-Nov-10 04:17 PM
#15. "RE: My D7000 has a rattle! Does yours?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

>I took it to Glazers in Seattle (our version of B&H).
>They pulled out 2 D7000s and both of them had the noise. Ken
>Rockwell emailed me and also said it was normal. The camera
>works great so I am assuming it is normal.

Excellent!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2310 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.