Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23048
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 12:22 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3"

South Florida, US

I am a semi pro (which means I still have a day job), when I go out on a gig my primary rig is a D7000, 16-85 zoom and a Nikon SB-700 flash (I said I was a "semi" pro), but I always bring my trusty M3 also. If I shoot a 1000 exposures (usually more) with the D7000, I get about 150-175 keepers. With the M3 I will shoot about a 100 exposures and get about 30 or so keepers. Nowadays if I only bring the M3 or even a digital of equivalent size, I feel I am not taken seriously. So the D7000 stays. Also when I do shot the M3 during the gig, there is no pressure. People actually lighten up and act more naturally because they think I am just "fooling" around.
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 02:56 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Akiva, have you explored why you are getting 15% satisfactory photos with one and 30% with the other? If this is for clients it would certainly increase you profitability if you could boost both or at least the D7000 shots.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 03:26 PM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3"
In response to Reply # 1

South Florida, US

>Hi Akiva, have you explored why you are getting 15%
>satisfactory photos with one and 30% with the other? If this
>is for clients it would certainly increase you profitability
>if you could boost both or at least the D7000 shots.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Keep in mind that with a digital camera we often take 3 or more shots of the sma e pose, etc because we can. With film there is a tendency to make every shot count. Different mentality.
Akiva S.

www.akivaphoto.net

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 04-Jan-13 01:23 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 04-Jan-13 01:27 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, there is a tendency to take less care with digital. I shot film for years and every shot ticked over a dollar counter in my head just before hitting the release.
The freedom to waste shots generated a habit of taking more and thinking less, that is, until I got the D800 and my thoughts flash to downloading and processing a burdensome 42-72mb file for every click. I have really slowed down, more film like as a result. When I first got that camera, after taking 1 cat shot and a couple backyard flower shots, I was on a plane heading to a beautiful area of Scotland where in a week I took only about 100 frame with the new camera but the keeper and suitable-to-print-large rate zoom to the best ever. I shoot a lot less but keep a lot more with that camera due to the thought that each frame should count if it is that big. When switching back the D7000, the return of the old habit from film of thinking a little longer about each shot, pays off with that camera just as much. Iwent out shooting with a friend who has a 5DIII and it really iratated me, every one of his shots was a burst of 10 or more even shots that were too casual and meaningless to waste a cell phone shot on. I took about 30 shots in 3 hours, he took 500 and had almost nothing to show for it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Fri 04-Jan-13 03:06 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 and a Leica M3"
In response to Reply # 3

South Florida, US

>Yes, there is a tendency to take less care with digital. I
>shot film for years and every shot ticked over a dollar
>counter in my head just before hitting the release.
>The freedom to waste shots generated a habit of taking more
>and thinking less, that is, until I got the D800 and my
>thoughts flash to downloading and processing a burdensome
>42-72mb file for every click. I have really slowed down, more
>film like as a result. When I first got that camera, after
>taking 1 cat shot and a couple backyard flower shots, I was on
>a plane heading to a beautiful area of Scotland where in a
>week I took only about 100 frame with the new camera but the
>keeper and suitable-to-print-large rate zoom to the best ever.
>I shoot a lot less but keep a lot more with that camera due to
>the thought that each frame should count if it is that big.
>When switching back the D7000, the return of the old habit
>from film of thinking a little longer about each shot, pays
>off with that camera just as much. Iwent out shooting with a
>friend who has a 5DIII and it really iratated me, every one of
>his shots was a burst of 10 or more even shots that were too
>casual and meaningless to waste a cell phone shot on. I took
>about 30 shots in 3 hours, he took 500 and had almost nothing
>to show for it.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Excellent rant. I also find that shooting in RAW slows me down, knowing all the PP work I will have to do.
Akiva S.

www.akivaphoto.net

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23048 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.