Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23002
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best Practice for short term storage/backup" Previous topic | Next topic
Nordic_Kat Registered since 01st Jan 2013Tue 01-Jan-13 08:28 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best Practice for short term storage/backup"

US

This is in reference to travel photography where I will be away from my desktop for 2-3 weeks:

I currently am using two cards in my D7000. Card #1 is 16 GB and set for NEF, card #2 is 8 GB and set for JPG.

I also travel with a 64 GB iPad set up for keywording and processing to Lightroom via Photosmith.

In the past, I've also copied my #1 (nef) card to a wolverine storage device on a daily basis.

I would like to "lighten" this process up a bit and am wondering, for prolonged in the field time, what is the best practice without employing a laptop.

Thanks -

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 08:52 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best Practice for short term storage/backup"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

How much storage capacity do you need?
The slickest system I have seen is the HyperDrive UDMA2
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-COLORSPACE-UDMA2-120GB-version-p/hdu2-120.htm

It can read cards directly, has Bluetooth connect to your iPad and has its own power and display with NEF Codec. You do not need a lap top but can sort, view, rename etc files without any external device. It is available with up to 1Tb of storage.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 12:45 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Practice for short term storage/backup"
In response to Reply # 1

South Florida, US

I have a 64 gig Ipad and that seems enough for me. Even if I upload a ton of photos I usually delete the losers so I stay fairly lean.
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #23002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.