Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22964
View in linear mode

Subject: "raw" Previous topic | Next topic
marvwein Registered since 25th Apr 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 02:42 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"raw"

Stamford, US

I took some pphotos in Raw (slot 1) and Jpeg(slot 2) when looking at them on the computer (a mac) everything was in jpeg. what am i doing wrong? I.m a novice with the d7000

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: raw
four eighty sparky Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
marvwein
31st Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
marvwein
31st Dec 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
mdallie Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
JosephK Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
mdallie Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
bc3 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 03:15 PM
1456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Did you copy just the JPEG file to your computer?

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Dec-12 04:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Exactly how are you looking at them?
Directly from the camera?
Transferred to the computer?
Using a card reader?

Which slot have you specified for playback?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

marvwein Registered since 25th Apr 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 05:28 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 2

Stamford, US

I inserted the card in my Mac and imported. I did the same with the card in Slot 2 (p[resumably the JNpeg photos) and imported again. I coud see no discernable difference in iPhoto when looking at info. When rev eiewing in the camera I assume I am looking at the raw files.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 31-Dec-12 05:48 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 31-Dec-12 05:54 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Actually the camera only veiws Jpeg files. For NEF files the in camera veiw displays the preveiw Jpeg within the NEF file.

NEF images are like uprocessed slide film. You need special programs to view them or have an OS that supports the specific RAW format. Nefs are Nikons RAW format.

Mac OS X v10.5: Supported digital camera RAW formats

RAW, iPhoto, and Mac OS X

If you are uising Nikon View NX2, you need to change the image filter/selector to show Jpeg & Neff or Nef.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

marvwein Registered since 25th Apr 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 06:18 PM
#6. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 5

Stamford, US

George; Thank you. I will try that

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 11:40 PM
1456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 4

US

If you compare the JPEG and unedited raw side-by-side, you won't see any difference. None at all.

The difference will become obvious when you start to edit them.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Tue 01-Jan-13 12:31 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 7

Novi, US

>If you compare the JPEG and unedited raw side-by-side, you
>won't see any difference. None at all.
>

This is not true. If you have any picture controls set in you camera (e.g., Vivid, Landscape, etc.) the JPEG will have those settings applied and the RAW will not. The RAW could look pretty bland when compared to the JPEG.

Mike

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 01:42 AM
4203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, WA, US

It depends on whose raw converter you are using.

Nikon's raw converter (View NX and Capture NX) should show you the same results as the JPG since Nikon applies all the camera settings to the raw data by default.

Most/all third party raw converters do not read all the proprietary data in the NEF file; thus they will show something different than the camera's JPG depending on what are the default settings are for the third party raw converter.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 10:58 AM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 9

Novi, US

>It depends on whose raw converter you are using.
>
>Nikon's raw converter (View NX and Capture NX) should show you
>the same results as the JPG since Nikon applies all the camera
>settings to the raw data by default.
>
>Most/all third party raw converters do not read all the
>proprietary data in the NEF file; thus they will show
>something different than the camera's JPG depending on what
>are the default settings are for the third party raw
>converter.

Good point!

Mike

bc3 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 08:09 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: raw"
In response to Reply # 0

Bridgman, US

It almost sounds like you have files set to jpg only and slot 2 is set to back-up. I shoot RAW + jpg and overflow to slot 2. I have also used the Raw slot 1 and jpg Slot 2 option and have no problems. When I down load the cards they are always as I expect them. I believe the images shown on your camera display are only the jpg files.

BertC

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22964 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.