Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why are colors washed out?" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 12:12 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why are colors washed out?"
Sun 30-Dec-12 12:13 AM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

Taken today RAW with d7000 35 mm f1.8G
ISO:1200 1/90th sec f2.8

had circular polarizer on lens
focus point was in front of cart(actually underneath a bit)

I converted to jpeg with no correction.
The colors look washed out/hazy to me. Am I seeing this correctly?
This was shot in a building where trains are displayed (Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami). It was fairly dark,- that is why I shot with ISO 1200. I realize that I should have shot faster and could have focussed better but I don't think that is causing what I think is a problem. Is what I'm seeing noise?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why are colors washed out?
dm1dave Administrator
30th Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
aolander Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
31st Dec 2012
elec164 Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
dm1dave Administrator
03rd Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
RSchussel Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 30-Dec-12 12:37 AM
11072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

No, that is not noise.

It looks like lens flair created by a direct light source just off of the upper left of the frame.

I would guess that the angle of the light was such that the polarizer was unable to compensate.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 12:51 AM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thank you. Since I was indoors I didn't need the polarizer. I should have taken it off. I didn't realize it might cause a problem.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 30-Dec-12 03:42 AM
3061 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 30-Dec-12 01:51 PM by aolander

Nevis, US

The polarizer cost you a stop or more of light, and it may have had an issue with the back light, too, causing the flare. Be sure to take filters off when they're not needed.

Alan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 30-Dec-12 03:54 PM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I'm not so sure it was the polarizer - it looks washed out to me, due to the backlight. If you had stepped three steps to your left and thus had the (baggage?) car behind the wagon, I am pretty sure that all of the colors would have been pretty intense.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 04:00 PM
#5. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

In any case, I didn't need the polarizer. I do see what your saying about the backlight. What I did learn is that, apparently, lens flare may manifest itself as a 'haze'. Thanks for your input.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 08:56 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Looking at the scene and the haze gradient across the scene, I would guess there was a window just out of the frame to the left that was illuminating the front of the filter. Increasing contrast can help reduce the apparent flare but won't full correct it.
The filter did you no favors, it meant a higher ISO was needed for proper exposure by a full 1-2 stops.
Do you keep the lens hood on? I see a lot of tourists here not using them outdoors and I can imagine they are blaming the camera when their images are thin and washed out.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 30-Dec-12 10:25 PM
#7. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 6

Aventura, US

I believe light was coming from the open end of the building (from the left). I learned my lesson about keeping the CP filter on when it is not neeeded. At least I did have the lens hood on.

One thing I have noticed is that, in general, it is difficult to easily rotate the CP filter when the lens hood is on. How do people deal with that?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 31-Dec-12 06:38 PM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

> lens flare may manifest itself as a 'haze'.

Flare is, well, flare. What you're seeing here is probably "ghosting" or a lack of contrast, although I'm not familiar with the performance of the 35/f1.8 in such conditions. Certainly if this had been my 35-70/f2.8 AFD, it would be ghosting.

Flare looks quite different. This is flare:

Re: polarizers. Kind of a problem. Tamron has some of their hoods built with a handy slot in the side of the hood, but some folks have complained that this makes the hood too flimsy. I don't use a CP that often, and when I do I just take off the hood, set the CP and then replace the hood. But then again I probably am shooting on a tripod where that isn't as big a deal.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 07:31 PM
1907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 31-Dec-12 07:36 PM by elec164

US

>Flare looks quite different. This is flare:
>
>

Actually I believe there are two types of lens flare

Some time ago in one of the other forums during a discussion on overall low contrast in an image I learned from a comment made by another Nikonian about veiling flare which would produce the results shown in the OP's example.

Your example shows, I believe, both veiling flare as well as the second type, ghosting flare.

Pete

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 12:40 AM
11072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

This is also my interpretation of “flare.”

Ghosting is just a particular manifestation of lens flare.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 09:05 PM
#10. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 31-Dec-12 09:06 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

I Googled 'lens flare' and Wikipedia had this to say:\

Lens flare is the light scattered in lens systems through generally unwanted image formation mechanisms, such as internal reflection and scattering from material inhomogeneities in the lens. These mechanisms differ from the intended image formation mechanism that depends on refraction of the image rays. Flare manifests itself in two ways: as visible artifacts, and as a haze across the image. The haze makes the image look "washed out" by reducing contrast and color saturation (adding light to dark image regions, and adding white to saturated regions, reducing their saturation).

RSchussel Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2008Thu 03-Jan-13 12:01 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 10

Vallejo, US

I was curious what type of metering was used. Spot metering often gives very different results. Dont know wheter in this instance it would make a difference but is worth a try.

Also I have found less expensive filters can soften an image due to reflections. What brand of polarizer did you use.

Bob

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 12:18 AM
#12. "RE: Why are colors washed out?"
In response to Reply # 11

Aventura, US

Spot metering and tiffen filter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.