Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22915
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 05:05 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"

US

Hey All-

On vacation and over the past 2 days my D7000 has seemed to stop recognizing lenses. As of today no lenses are recognized, all get the EE error on all settings. Any ideas or has this been a known problem?

I tried a few lenses, like a Nikon 28mm, Nikon 18-135, and a Sigma 70-300.

Any help very welcome.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses
jbloom Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
dmorri2 Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
briantilley Moderator
29th Dec 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
blu62vette Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
30th Dec 2012
blu62vette Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
blu62vette Silver Member
30th Dec 2012
blu62vette Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
Bravozulu Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
blu62vette Silver Member
18th Jan 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 29-Dec-12 05:10 AM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I would inspect the lens mount of the camera for damage, especially the electrical connections. But I suspect a trip to Nikon service is in order for your D7000.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

dmorri2 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jul 2006Sat 29-Dec-12 11:28 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

East Point, GA, US

I had this issue a few months back and found the following on YouTube that resolved the issue for me. The video seems to be somewhat of a joke at first, but locking the aperture ring at the highest setting did the trick for me. I'm not sure however why this just started happening on my D7000 as I had never experienced it before. Maybe others can comment and provide more detail as to the actual cause (firmware bug maybe?).

How to resolve Nikon FEE error:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-0n_NIznxg

FYI

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 29-Dec-12 11:42 AM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

Yes, I think that video was presented in a humourous way, because most members know that you need to set the lens' aperture ring - if it has one - to minimum (highest number) when using such lenses with modern Nikon cameras.

But... that's not the problem in this case, as Todd has already tried at least one lens (the 18-135mm) which is "G-type" and doesn't have an aperture ring

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 12:08 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 29-Dec-12 12:10 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

You may need service. However, your camera is a computer and every now and then it can get confused and may benefit from a reboot.

Have you tried turning it off, removing the battery for a few moments, then replacing the battery and turning it back on? (Page 299 of the user manual).

Thom Hogan provides a more exacting reboot routine in his Complete Guide to the Nikon D7000:

1. Turn the camera OFF.
2. If you're using battery power, remove the main battery. If you're using AC Power, unplug the adapter.
3. If possible, let the internal clock battery discharge (this normally takes days).
4. With the battery still removed turn the camera ON for several minutes. This step is to ensure any internal capacitors are discharged.
5. Turn the camera OFF.
6. Replace the batteries taken out in Step 2.
7. Turn the camera back On.

Visit my gallery.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 29-Dec-12 04:13 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 29-Dec-12 04:16 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Along with the above, don't overlook the simple measure of taking a piece of cotton saturated in alcohol to clean the lens contacts inside the F mount of the body, and on the mount end of each lens.

I do this a few times a year. Very low voltages run through those contacts, and drive focus, while communicating aperture, metering and distance data to the camera computer. So any electrical resistance is bound to throw things off.

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 04:24 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks for the ideas. I had run the ring through the range of aperture trying to get it to connect in case something was off. Did the several time on the 28 and 180 lenses. I had removed batteries and even tried a different battery.

I will swab when I get home. MY concern is I need this for a big work trip starting Jan 7. I will likely book a rental as a backup.

Thanks for the ideas.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 30-Dec-12 08:40 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 6

St Petersburg, RU

I imagine you tried the 2 button reset as the first resort but it does not sound good. The contacts are spring loaded on the lens side, so inspect them closely to see if the lens/mount contacts are at the proper height.
As a general rule, contacts should not be "cleaned" with any solvent that could remove the film residue on the contacts that helps prevent oxidation. The only "dirt" that contacts need maintenance for is the naturally developing oxidation. It is a good idea to use a tiny amount of a good de-oxidizing agent on connectors once a year or so. The standard of the electronics industry is Caig Laboratories D-5 DeOxit but there are a number of them using the licensed formula from the first one named R-5 Cramolin. That is still available in Europe, as well as CRC 60. In the US, Caig products are used by most recording studios and broadcast for oxidation removal.
Alcohol and anything labeled contact cleaner is probably too drying which increases the rate of oxidation. Some recommend a pencil eraser but that is one of the very worst ways of attempting to clean contacts. The contact might look shiny but its resistance increases because of the tiny scratch marks left in the mating surfaces, leaving more surface area to oxidize and less are for mating with its contact mate.
I really doubt that contacts are staying consistently open for you, with 2 lenses, it is likely something less user serviceable.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 08:55 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 7

US

The two button reset didn't do anything either. I am really not a fan of messing with the contacts so I was going to take it in for a cleaning anyways. I may still do that and get there thoughts, or just send it to Nikon for repair.

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 09:14 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I always forget there is a Nikon service center in my town, hopefully that helps make it a little easier and quick repair.

Will update once fixed.

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 11:03 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 9

US

The repair shop was closed today so I tried a lens again. I think it is interesting that the focus dot in the lower left of the viewfinder works fine. So since something is working that keep me optimistic it is only something with the sensor/electroinics/ for the aperture hook up.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 05:33 PM
657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 10

Los Angeles, US

Waiting here to learn what the Nikon people suggest. Please let us know.

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Fri 18-Jan-13 05:18 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 getting an EE errors on all lenses"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Got the camera back today. Was told the PCB unit went bad and that there was nothing I could have done to cause it. This irks me. The said it was just electronics and this was part of the motherboard. Another comment was there are so much electronics inside things go bad. Again this was an authorized Nikon Warranty repair center, though I am out of warranty.

72k shots, under 2 years and a $225 repair, plus $180 to rent a body in the meantime.

I am home testing it and the autofocus doesn't seem to want to work but will play with some more lenses.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22915 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.