Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22873
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900" Previous topic | Next topic
mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 27-Dec-12 08:57 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900"

Simcoe, CA

I can't find anywhere in Darryl's book or the owners manual where it talks about whether the D7000 has this feature (I assume it does) and how-to use this feature. Can anyone shed some light??

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 28-Dec-12 01:44 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 28-Dec-12 01:49 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, the filters included with the SB900 are detected by the camera to set WB and flash for level compensation. Works really well. I use it mostly in mixing with strong ambient tungstan light but it is also useful, a little less so, with florescent lights because there are so many different output spectrum from various models of florescent bulbs.
From my experience it works well with all 3 of my cameras: D90, D7000 and D800. You can get an extended set of filters called the SJ-3 for more options in tints useful in the studio for background washes. It is about $20-25 and worth it.
One hint, make sure the gel does not rest directly on the flash screen, which it will not, if properly inserting into the filter cap, otherwise the gels or anything in direct contact with the lens of the flash head will burn.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 05:47 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Look on page 276 of the D7000 manual. Note 1 under CLS compatible flash units.

Visit my gallery.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Sat 29-Dec-12 10:46 PM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 WB filter Detection on SB900"
In response to Reply # 2

Simcoe, CA

THanks to Stan and Chris for their enlightening comments.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22873 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.