Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22750
View in linear mode

Subject: "tethering to a tripod" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 02:43 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"tethering to a tripod"

Aventura, US

Had a bad experience. D7000 fell off tripod. What is a good way to tether/ seccure the camera so if it does fall, it doesn't hit the ground. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: tethering to a tripod
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
Rassie Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
22nd Dec 2012
Naroge Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
RLDubbya Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
gfinlayson Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
RYnikon Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Steve6344 Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
jnaarnold
23rd Dec 2012
kkeesy Silver Member
25th Dec 2012

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 03:05 PM
6139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. If you have a strap on the camera, probably the easiest thing to do is use that. Secure the strap to a tripod leg directly or with a clamp or tie-off.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 03:11 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

I use a rapidstrapsport which attaches to the same screw whole that the tripod attaches to. So the rapidstrap is not attached when I'm using the tripod. Is there some kind of short cord with a quick release that I can use to attach one end to the normal strap holder on the top of the camera and connect the other end to the tripod?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 03:31 PM
6139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 2

Wethersfield, US

Try a safety cable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=safety+cable&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 03:47 PM
#4. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

Thank you. I looked at the picture and it looked like the 'caribiner' wouyld be too thick to go throuigh tyhe metal loops where the normal strap attaches.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 04:00 PM
2841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 22-Dec-12 04:01 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

If the carabiner is too thick I would just remove it and replace with a thinner one. These can probably be purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's or some such.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 04:09 PM
#6. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

The carabiner doesn't attach to the supported object, it attaches to the loop in the end of the cable, like so:

There may well be better options; this is just what occurred to me because I use these cables for securing lights and light stands.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 04:21 PM
#7. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 6

Aventura, US

Aah. Now I see. Thank you. It looks like the loop in the cable is flexible/soft enough to be pushed through the camera loop.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 22-Dec-12 05:16 PM
#8. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 7

Wethersfield, US

Exactly. In this case, the collar that binds the cable to form the loop won't go through the triangular strap attachment, but the loop itself will.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Naroge Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Sep 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 02:02 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

TH

You seem to have got some good advice already for a “safety belt” for your camera. But what about the root problem you had in the first place, that the camera fell off the tripod? This would be interesting to know and learn from. Personally I have unfortunately dropped my camera a few times, but never had it fall off a tripod (yet).

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 01:00 PM
#10. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 9

Aventura, US

Good question! I have an Induro AKB2 tripod. It seems to hold the camera fairly well if the camera is horizontal. The incident happened when the camera was vertical. I was using the D7000 and an Nikkor 18-300mm zoom. The tripod is rated for 18 pounds so the load should not be an issue.

I pressed the shutter release and the camera fell 6 feet to the ground. I don't think I touched the quick release but I guess it is possible. I don't trust it anymore. Is there a better quick release that I can somehow use with the same tripod/head or should I get a different ball head and or just a different tripod?

The damage was:
Battery cover fell off but I was able to reattach.
UV filter on lens broke.
Ring on camera that lens attaches to needs to be replaced-it was warped..
Lens barrel needs to be replaced (symptom was rough zooming).

Total repair cost is $200 for camera and $400 for lens.

I was at a group photoshoot that night > I couldn't get the broken filter off-the threads on the filter were damaged-- but I was able to remove the broken glass. After that, amazingly enough, the camera and lens worked perfectly despite the damage and I was able to do the shoot and got some nice shots.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 04:16 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 10

US

> Is there a>better quick release that I can somehow use with the same
>tripod/head or should I get a different ball head and or just
>a different tripod?

Well, I use Manfrotto tripods, heads, and the RC-4 QR system. The RC-4 is directional - there's only one way to properly attach the plate to the head, and it clicks into place authoritatively. Additionally, the QR requires much more than just the push of a button; it requires a coordinated push-pull of a button and lever to disengage.

Just throwing that out there as a potential option.

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 09:37 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 14

Maidenhead, GB

As RLDubbya says above, maybe it's time to upgrade your head. Manfrotto RC2 QRs and 357PLVs on my stuff - only one way you can fit them and both have a safety pin in combination with the release lever which means the camera can't fall off.

RYnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Oct 2003Mon 07-Jan-13 08:53 PM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 10

Pittsford, US

I couldn't guess what happened, but this is another good reason to use an L-bracket.

Whichever orientation you are shooting in, the camera stays fully on top of the tripod head, setting down into the quick release (keeping gravity your friend).

They cost much less than your $600 repair bill, let alone if your camera had needed replacement. And they are very convenient in use.

Robb
Photography: technically fine art!

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 02:08 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think the time, effort and material needed to install such a safety mechanism would be much more than the time, effort and material needed to make sure the camera is secured to the tripod in the first place.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 23-Dec-12 02:27 PM
#12. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 23-Dec-12 02:27 PM by Steve6344

Aventura, US

Below is an image of the quick release plate when attached to the camera. I was just seeing if I could figure out what went wrong. The plate from the top is square so it can be mounted in any direction. You can see that the bottom of the plate is not symmetrical. I discovered that when it is in the direction shown the strength of the attachment is good. If it is rotated 90 degrees the strength is poor. So it appears it must be attached in a particular orientation. There is no marking on it that indicates which way it should be mounted. It seems as if I mount it 'correctly' it will be ok.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 23-Dec-12 03:11 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Time to employ a scratch awl. Or a 16d nail.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jnaarnold Registered since 02nd Mar 2009Sun 23-Dec-12 09:29 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use the Slik brand tripod, best bang for the buck. It actually has two latches, and a round base, which enables it to seat effortlessly. Check them out, very secure, well built and my favorite option....affordable!
J

Visit www.johnarnoldphotography.net

kkeesy Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2006Tue 25-Dec-12 09:45 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: tethering to a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

New Haven, US

I had a 300 2,8 mounted on an F5 fall off a cheaper tripod years ago.Now I only use Really Right Stuff for everything.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #22750 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.